Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2. replace both front door latches (1 reports)
  3. WD40 door latches (1 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 182010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

This has happened to me several times over the past several winters. 08-09-10. I just recently learned of this forum. I couldn't believe others had this same problem. I have so many common problems with this vehicle though, I'm not surprised. Until I tried the WD40, it was very dangerous, driving with one arm holding the door shut, hoping the warming car would soon let the door close--it didn't. This is a very dangerous defect!! If 3 of us are reporting it, many more are likely experiencing it.

- , Westerville, OH, USA

Dec 142008

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

It was a cold night and I got out of work at 12am. I have a remote starter in my car so it was running by the time I got to my car. I got to my car and I tried to open the door and it would not open. I tried again and gave it a little pull, it opened but it seemed like it was frozen. I sit in my car and close the would not close. It would just "bounce" off the car. I thought that if I hold the door shut while I drive I should be fine. Im driving through the parking lot at 15 mph. I make a right turn and my door just sways open and I was holding it. So I parked and waited a half hour for my boyfriend to come look at it. He brought some rope and I had to tie my door shut to the roof of my car. That only helped a little but it was worth it. I still had to hold my door shut because the car was beeping like crazy. Thank god this happened between 1-2am because no one was around. I drove home going so slow and making my turns at like 3 mph. It was dreadful, my window had to be opened because of the rope and it was very cold. My car is now sitting my driveway with the door practically open and my window down. I wonder if its because it was so cold out and it froze the latch or its just the door. If it is the door and the weather isnt at fault then I am going to call Ford and make them pay to replace the door. What happened to me tonight was very dangerous and I could've injured myself and other people.

- , Medford, MA, USA

Mar 122007

Explorer XLT V6

Had to drive with a rope tight to my leg to hold the passenger side door close while driving with the right hand and holding the driver side door with my left hand. This is one little over a s$$t load of unusual problems i've had with my truck

- , Saint-remi, Quebec, Canada