2002 Ford Explorer fuel system problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Mar 022012

Explorer XLS V6

It is a pain in the ass to try to fill up!!! The pump clicks off every 2 sec. it takes forever to fill up. The service station workers have come out and asks me to move the nozzle in or out and it doesn't help. It is embarrassing!!!!

- , New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Oct 202009

Explorer XL 4.0L V6

Recently I have been experiencing difficulty when fueling my 2002 Ford Explorer. I place the nozzle in the filler tube and begin fueling. I can get about 1 gallon in when the automatic nozzle shuts off. It sound like the gas is coming up the filler tube. I have to continue squeezing the fill nozzle at the pump about 50 times until I can get around 16 gallons into the tank. Takes about 15 minutes to completely fill the tank. I then stop, not sure if the tank is trully full. This happens all the time and is very annoying when trying to fill the gas tank. I have been told by a repairman that I will need a complete new gas tank to fix the problem. Approx. $450 dollars. I don't have that in pocket change right now.

- , Carmel, IN, USA