- August 13: Ford Faces Exhaust Odor and Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit news | 5 days ago
- August 10: Three Police Officers Sue Ford Over Carbon Monoxide Exposure news | 8 days ago
- August 2: Lawsuit Says Ford Lifted Trucks Have Wrong Jacks and Spare Tires news | 16 days ago
- August 1: 'Built Ford Tough' is Mere 'Puffery,' Says Federal Judge news | 17 days ago
- July 30: Ford and Mazda Want Out of Takata Recall of 2.7 Million Airbags recalls | 19 days ago
Door Ajar Light Comes On All The Time
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 81,558 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 53 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (39 reports)
- wd-40 (3 reports)
- crack on hatchback window seems to cause sensor problem, (2 reports)
- use brake cleaner or lubricant (2 reports)
- just cut out the wires (1 reports)
- lubricate latches (1 reports)
accessories - interior problem