CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2003 Ford Explorer engine problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Aug 062010

Explorer

Engine stalls out when braking or turning. This is an issue that occurs at random with no warning. This has continued to occur multiple times over the last four years, and leaves myself and family in a, powerless, defenseless, potentially fatal, situation.

- Winneconne, WI, USA

Nov 012010

Explorer

My truck just went out of warranty by 5,000 miles and I was driving and hit a bump and my #3 spark plug blew out of the engine. Scared me to death because it sounded like a gun. I had just turned off a red light so I had no speed at all. $500 to put a helio coil in it. Then I hit 170,000 and another one blew out while my family and I were in the mountains and we had to limp home. Told by the mechanic the truck could have started fire. I had every single service by Ford until the first one blew. Never ever heard of this happening until I searched it on the internet. What if I had my hood open changing the air filter and or other part and one of them had blown? could kill anyone. How is that safe. And the fact that your in the middle of no where with no cell coverage and you have to drive a ticking time bomb. Please hold Ford accountable for design flaw. I take care of my Ford Explorer, after all it cost 36K new and I want to get my money out of it. They are supposed to be built to last with regular maintence. It has been a great SUV with the exception of the spark plug issue. The only reason I still have it is because I love it. (last number on VIN is 5 but it wouldn't let me enter it.)

- Highlands Ranch , CO, USA

Aug 072014

Explorer

My vehicle suddenlty without warning will stall and I lose all power. No power steering. I am able to put the vehicle in neutral and can turn the vehicle back on. The mechanic can not find any codes etc on why this is happening. Apparenly this is a common thing

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Mar 032014

Explorer

The car was idling rough and the "service engine" light kept coming on, even after I had the auto repair shop (pep boys) check and fix things. They advised me to go to the Ford dealer, and said it may be the timing chain. Future Ford ran diagnostic, said it may be timing chain but have to open engine to verify. Estimate for repairs $1500 to open engine and $2500 to fix). Did not have work done yet. The engine has a loud rattling sound that started suddenly and has gotten worse, and increases upon acceleration. There is an oily smell. At stop light when idling, the idle is slow and a loud knocking sound - idle sounds like car is about to shut off. The normal idle sound for the car is smooth and like a soft hum. Called Ford to see if there is a recall for this problem, as there are many complaints similar to mine that are listed on the Ford website about several years of the Ford Explorer. Mileage now is 150,000 miles. Ford said there is no recall, but keep receipts for work done in case of one in the future.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 082014

Explorer

The transmission light, 4ΓΏ4 and the od light came on. It does shift gear from 1 to 2 until 3000 RPM.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Jun 142014

Explorer

My son purchased this Explorer brand new and I bought it from him four years ago and I love this as it is the best design in the SUV's, and I can not afford a new vehicle as I am no young gal any more. We have maintained it faithfully and have had no serious problems with it and is at 145000. I was driving to work going 55 mph and the O/D light comes on and I push the button and it would not go off. I pulled over and tried the button a few times-nothing. I shut it off, turned it back on-no light was on-proceeded down the highway and the light turns back on and it will not shift and is straining shift. I took it in to jiffy lube to go ahead and get another oil change and let them check the transmission fluid and they said that they could not access it to check the fluid-they suggested a transmission flush at $200-why can't they access it" would'nt a dip stick save a lot of trouble" as I look at all the complaints about the transmission troubles in the Explorer, I am very shocked. Please can you help me out here as I cannot afford high maintenance bills that would be charged through a dealer. Just tell me if there is a simple solution to fixing it so that my brother may repair it and get it back on the road. One response is as such: After talking to 2 Ford reps today, and turned down flat for help, I have decide its now a quest.... Ford stated they didn't have enough complaints for the NHTSA to open up an investigation to possibly order a recall...... soooo, for all those that have issues, call Ford and also make a complaint on the NHTSA site www.NHTSA.gov or call them at 1-800-424-9393. My family is a Ford family and we currently have 5 Ford in our household, a mustang, Ford F150, Ford Focus, Expedition, and the Explorer that is having issues. This isn't including extended family. Ford is about to lose future business....

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Feb 032014

Explorer 6-cyl

Submission from constituent re a filed complaint with Ford Motor Company and would like to be reimburse for all the cost by Ford. The consumer stated when he attempted to start the vehicle, it would not crank. He replaced the battery, but the vehicle still would not start. The vehicle was towed to a local garage. The next day, the consumer was informed, the engine had seized. There was no warning from the dash indicators, no engine sounds, and the oil was at the proper level. It cost $3,669.98 to replace the engine.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 062013

Explorer 6-cyl

I have been having issues with the cruise control on my Explorer. It works fine for several months and then occasionally it will not engage. Most times if it will not engage, the dashboard light does not show up, but since last week the light has come on, but the cruise control has not engaged. Since this has been an ongoing issue and seems to resolve on its own, I continue to try it occasionally. I tried to set it last Friday while I was going approximately 40 mph. It did engage, but then began to slowly accelerate. I tried pushing the button that should reduce the speed, but it continued accelerating, so I kicked the brake pedal to disengage. I have tried it 3 additional times and each time it accelerates. The last time I tried it, yesterday afternoon, the speed was picking up incredibly quickly. It felt like I had just floored the accelerator. I was able to kick the cruise control off with the brake pedal though but am now concerned that this may happen when the cruise is not engaged.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

May 232013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the engine oil pump and the timing belt had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 60,000. The current mileage was 61,000.

- Royersford , PA, USA

May 052013

Explorer

While driving my vehicle on Sunday, while driving my vehicle stalled in the road. The truck felt as if it was trying to pull a hill. This was very scarey for me and my children because if someone was coming behind us or if I was turning into the flow of traffic this could have been a terrible accident. Afterwards the vehicle couldn't go over 30 mph without shifting out. This is very dangerous and Ford should recall this immediately before someone is killed.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Oct 132012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was backing up to the garage to unload the stuff in the back and the car made a loud whinning noise and took off fast..I couldn't stop the truck..

- Milton, FL, USA

Apr 042007

Explorer

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brackets that hold the timing chain fractured. As a result, the brackets and valve cover needed to be replaced. Also, the contact stated that while driving at various speeds she could hear a grinding noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the front driver side hub assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Carthage, IN, USA