CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

9.2

2003 Ford Explorer engine problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 152014

Explorer Limited 4L V6

I own a 2003 Ford Exploder as I like to call it! I have read other complaints that explain the exact problem I have had as far as the engine stalling out while braking, turning etc. No one seems to know the cause or resolution to the issue at hand!! How can this not be viewed as a extreme safety issue??!! Today, my wife was nearly broadsided turning into a parking lot when the vehicle died!! Obviously she lost engine power, power steering, and was left defenseless in oncoming traffic!! This has happened multiple times at random.

We live in an area with multiple round-abouts, and we all know how dangerous they can be even with a vehicle operating properly! Does someone really have to die before Ford takes a serious look into this? How many complaints are needed to start a recall process, or where do I go from here? I'm so pissed, it's not like they just give these vehicles away!!

- , Winneconne, WI, USA

Aug 302010

Explorer Limited V8

It's just scary driving around in a vehicle that just randomly dies and locks up the steering wheel If any one can help i would appreciate it!

- , Worcester, MA, USA

May 222004

Explorer Limited 4.6L

when coming to a stop it will die.There is no pattern to this.Sometimes it happens.No warning,then it will start right back up.

- , St.Charles, IL, USA

Jan 312009

Explorer 3,2lV6

the vehicle loses power while driving and will not start for some time. stalls during acceleration and deceleration.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Jul 042007

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

We have a dangerous issue that the local dealer, Dick Masheter, cannot duplicate. The vehicle cuts off when in a situation of braking such as yielding in an intersection or taking a turn. For obvious reasons, this is extremely dangerous as the steering column locks up upon occurrence. This happens sometimes as often as twice per day and as infrequent as once every other week. It seems to be happening more frequently lately as it happened twice yesterday. We will be reporting later this week. Will update if the dealer is able to duplicate or repair.

- , Columbus, OH, USA