- October 16: MyFord Touch Lawsuit Certified Class-Action in Nine States news | 9 days ago
- October 16: Ford Says Power Steering Lawsuit Shouldn't Be a Class-Action news | 9 days ago
- October 12: Ford Edge and Lincoln Continental Recalled recalls | 13 days ago
- October 4: Feds Investigate Brake Failures in 2015-2016 Ford F-150 Trucks investigations | 21 days ago
- October 4: Ford Throttle Body Problems Lead to Lawsuit news | 21 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 101,286 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 24 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (10 reports)
- replaced with new engine (8 reports)
- need to be rebuilt (6 reports)