CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

7.5

$1,012.00

2003 Ford Explorer engine problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Mar 152010

Explorer XLT V8

It is bullshit with these spark plugs popping out, i have replace 5 so far. The engine gets hot and spits out a spark plug and I get stuck where ever it happens at. I had to tow my truck 5 different times. Get it towed to a shop 5 different times. Paid over 800 to replace this because they get stripped when they pop out and then they have to do some extra sh*t to make sure none of the metal goes in my engine. I parked my Truck and got a chevy but i spent so much money on a piece of sh*t FORD... don't ever by a ford especially when they do not want to take responsibility for their own crap they make........

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 162014

Explorer XLT 3,2,V6

I really took good care of my 2003 Explorer driving it only on weekends since I bought it in 2007. With only 110k miles I started to detect a tic-tic- noise and found the spark plug blew out of the engine. I now have to manage alternate transportation while I have the truck repaired. Luckily no one was hurt while driving the vehicle. My local dealer stated this is a common problem that happens more and more and Ford is aware of this issue. How can this not be a safety issue?

- , Mountain View, CA, USA

Dec 252013

Explorer Eddie Bauer

spark plugs keep ejecting. happened to multiple cylinders.

- , Sparta, NJ, USA

Feb 032012

Explorer XLT V8

this is the second time a spark plug has blown right out of the top of the engine

- , Indianola, IA, USA