Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2004 Ford Explorer AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 012009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

A plastic part was broken that cost about $70 but to replace it the entire dasboard has to be removed. I bought this car used in the summer and when I tried to switch to heat in the winter I only heard a clicking noise from the switch. I investigated and found this is a common problem to Ford's and a there should be a recall. Repair was quoted for $1500 form the dealer I bought the car from. I shopped around and found some independent repair shops who would do it for less. I complained to the dealer and they agreed to lower the cost to $700 insinuating that I should of checked it out when I bought the car (who checks the heater when it is mid summer?). They probably were aware of the problem when the sold it to me because it is common.

- , Moore, OK, USA