- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 8 days ago
- June 3: Ford PowerShift Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus news | 24 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 30 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 33 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 33 days ago
O/D Light Is Flashing
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 5 of 5)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,541 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 84 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (27 reports)
- rebuild transmission (27 reports)
- replace transmission (16 reports)
- replace solenoid body (7 reports)
- replaced transmission (4 reports)
- turn off truck & wait 10 seconds to restart (3 reports)
accessories - interior problem