6.0

2. replace the brake stop lamp switch (1 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer lights problems

lights problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 012014

Explorer XLT 4.2L

Real pain in the ass, had to jump start the truck twice in the last 5 days!! What will fix this problem???

- , Howell, NJ, USA

Feb 032010

Explorer XLT

The brake lights stay on and drain the battery until the battery dies. I found out the hard way when this happened on a very cold morning. I was able to get a jump start and be on my way.

The problem occurred again a few days later and that's when I brought it into the dealership in Middleton, WI. The dealership told me that it was the 'brake stop lamp switch' - part $95 and labor $50. I looked this problem up on the internet and there seems to be a cheaper fix: if you pull the part yourself and clean up the connector ends and simply put the part back in.

- , Madison, WI, USA