2004 Ford Explorer steering problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 252009

Explorer

When shifting into reverse there is a hard shift also hard shifts up and down while going forward.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 182009

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Ford Explorer 4WD, XLT 6 cy engine. I was driving it last week and the front end felt loose. I pulled into a parking spot and when I tried to put it in park the shift lever fell apart in my hand and the steering column fell apart. I was only going 5 mph at the time but I wonder what would happen if I was going 40 or so., I had lost control as I parked!! the Ford mechanic said he had never seen this before.

- Hanson, MA, USA

Mar 072009

Explorer

No accident or injury has occurred. The transmission shifter binds when shifting into park. The interlock solenoid pin has worn a grove in the cam in which it contacts. When shifting from any gear to park, if you release the brake pedal at the right time the vehicle will not go fully into park.

- Rockville Md, MD, USA

Aug 242007

Explorer

On Friday, August 24, 2007, I was attempting to back out of a driveway. I put my foot on the brake, started my 2004 Ford Explorer and began shifting the gear out of park into reverse when the shift broke. I could not do anything, the engine wouldn't turn over or anything. Since it was late Friday, I left the SUV parked until Saturday, the next morning, when I had it towed to doug stanley Ford in desoto, Texas, where I purchased the vehicle. A service technician told me they would have to order a needed part to repair the SUV. He said he thought they'd receive the part by Monday or Tuesday. On Monday, he told me they wouldn't get it until November 12. He said that he'd called all around and had to get the part from the manufacturer. I checked online and others have experienced this very same problem. I am thankful I wasn't somewhere far from home when this happened. I have a new baby and need reliable transportation. I have never heard of a dealership needing 2 months to get a part. I truly think this is a serious defect that could eventually get someone hurt.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Sep 252006

Explorer 6-cyl

2004 Explorer had problems with brakes and windows. Three months after the vehicle was purchased thee was a recall on the transmission. The ABS malfunctioned and the power windows would not go down. The rear hatch door would not open. The transmission began to slam into gear. The rotors vibrated in the rear. Consumer heard a howling noise at 40-55 mph. The dealer replaced the ring and pinion.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Sep 042005

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

2004 Ford Explorer - the consumer complained about steering difficulty as well as popping/jolting sensation. This happens regardless of speed, but only occurs in sharp turns. Vehicle has been fixed, but this information is necessary for the public to be informed. This applies to four wheel drive on 2004 and 2005 models. There is a technical service bulletin (tsb) regarding this problem. While trying to make a U turn the vehicle is in two wheel drive because the four wheel drive did not engage on its on.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Oct 162004

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

Steering feels like the power steering unit is not up to speed or the 4 wd is engaged during low speed turns like in shopping center parking lots or tight turns on off ramps.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Mar 172004

Explorer

4the steering wheel sticks intermittently when it's turned to the left or right and does not return without pulling it back. This was a major problem when pulling out in traffic or going around a sharp bend. The vehicle had been to the Ford dealer three times and was told that all the new Explorer were made that way and there was nothing they could do about it. There was a big clunk at times when backing up and turning to the right or left. The ride was very bumpy and caused the occupants to be thrown from side to side while driving.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA