Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2005 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 202014

Explorer 6-cyl

I am another very annoyed owner of a 2002-2005 Ford Explorer with a cracked rear panel. From what I can tell, this affects nearly 100% of all Explorer of those model years and it is ridiculous that Ford has not issued a recall notice for this defect.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 012014

Explorer 6-cyl

I went out to my 2005 Ford eddie bauer Explorer to remove items inside back cargo area and noticed that the plastic tailgate panel below the rear window had vertically cracked all the way down and through the whole piece. There was no physical evidence to show cause for the spontaneous wide crack. The car has been well cared for. Parked daily in garage and not even driven daily. I am extremely concerned that the glass window panel might be compromised and could cause deadly damage to passengers in my car or others on the road behind me should it come loose or shatter, including the chance that the back windshield wiper could come unattached and also fly off into the window of a vehicle behind me. I have just researched this problem and have found hundreds of other owners who have had the same spontaneous cracking and have filed complaints. Something must be done. This is an extreme safety issue.

- Vista, CA, USA

Dec 152012

Explorer 6-cyl

Paint is bubbling/flaking along front edge of hood.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 032014

Body issues: I have a 2005 Ford Explorer and have never been in a car accident. My tailgate somehow develop a crack that goes through where the Ford logo is. Nothing happened to the SUV to cause the crack. It just somehow happened on it's own. I believe the vehicle is defective or at least the materials used to make the vehicle. Electrical issues: Another issue I have is with the electrical. My turn signals (most times) do not work. I have to manually move it up and down when turning. When it does work, it goes really fast. My reverse notification no longer works for some strange reason. Also, my radio goes louder when I turn it down. I have to turn it off for a little while, turn it back on then try to lower the volume.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012013

Explorer 6-cyl

Hinges on the rear glass hatch are broken. Eventually will brake off and possibly cause an injury because that supports the glass. Many other Explorer have this same issue.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 012012

Explorer 6-cyl

The rear hatch has cracked next to the emblem. I'm certain that water gets inside when washed or it rains. Now that I'm paying attn many Explorer have one or more cracks.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Apr 152009

The paint bubbled and peeled on the roof of my 2005 Ford Explorer eddie bauer edition. Dealer says it is a paint defect but Ford does not have a recall. Had my roof repainted at my expense. Now, anytime it rains, I am getting water leaking from the rear ac unit controls and my front driver's side carpeting is soaking wet.

- Autaugaville, AL, USA

Feb 242014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the rear panel near the hatch was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that no recalls were associated with the vehicle. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Greer, SC, USA

Oct 242012

There's an obvious defect in the 2005 Ford Explorer, the 7 X 55 panel, the one with the Ford logo in it. It cracks. It did it twice on ours, we replaced it once costing us $500. Our repairman said he's seen this exact problem on many Ford'. we looked into it, and numerous other experts agree on the defect. The first time we tried to bring attention to Ford for this problem, they blew us off, not even having the courtesy to get our letter to the person it was addressed. As human nature, Ford tried to manipulate the problem, at the end of the conversation actually convincing themselves and trying to convince me that there was no problem. We like to keep all our stuff nice but currently our vehicle doesn"T look nice. We cannot afford to throw away our money on a defective product. Again, it is defective, anyone related to the vehicle industry and bodywork, with any sense, can realize the problem. On our first attempt to propose Ford?S resolution of this problem we didn?T draw attention to the problem. This time we"re ready to go at it in full force (attorney general, BBB, local & national news outlets, and the federal trade commission) if Ford doesn"T find a fair way to compensate us. The issue being the first panel being defective and cracked allowing us to drive around in a junky looking vehicle; replacing the product for $500 which still had the issue and once again we"re driving around with a junky looking vehicle; resale value has been compromised. Thank you for your thoughtful consideration in hopefully resolving this issue.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Oct 012013

I am the 1 and only owner of 2005 Ford Explorer limited, and the rear upper tailgate has a vertical crack right next to the Ford logo that spans from window to base 2cm in width.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 012014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the rear lift gate was fractured. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Dec 152013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that he approached the vehicle and noticed that the tail sill plate on the lift gate was fractured. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Altamonte Spring, FL, USA

Nov 042013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that there was a fracture on the lift gate under the window. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Port Chester, NY, USA

Nov 012012

Explorer 6-cyl

Crack under rear window on rear hatch door.

- Gladwin, MI, USA

Oct 102011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that there was rust on the rear passenger's side fender. The contact was unaware of what caused the rust so the contact took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer did not state what caused the rust but stated that the rear passenger's side fender needed to be replaced with new metal. The contact did not have the rear passenger side fender replaced. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Nashotah, WI, USA

Oct 182013

2005 Ford Explorer: I am worrying about the integrity of my 2005 Ford Explorer rear end and what would happen if I were to be rear ended. The following occurred: I shut the tailgate and the area above and below the Explorer emblem cracked vertically. My friend has the same car and hers cracked exactly like mine a year ago. Now I just saw an Explorer parked at the store and it was cracked too!!!

- Lake Placid, , FL, USA

Sep 192013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the rear liftgate panel became fractured. The vehicle was not taken to a local mechanic or a dealer for diagnosis. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Covington, KY, USA

Sep 082011

Explorer 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer and there is a crack in the back on the hatch this is not only on my vehicle there are many out there from the year 2000 and up that have the same crack in the back this should have been recalled I call Ford about this and they are telling me that I have to contact the nhsm I feel that I am getting the run around there are so many Ford Explorer out there with this same thing I feel that Ford should fix this.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 152013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the rear hatch back panel developed a fracture. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised the contact that the panel needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 123,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 072013

Explorer 6-cyl

Driver side hinge disconnected, the bolt was missing. The shifting, unbalance weight caused passenger side hinge to crack. The window fell striking the back of the head of the owner, unlocking and reaching in to the cargo space. A small child was with her who could have been seriously injured, . had this top of the liftgate fallen off in traffic it would have caused serious injury and car damage. Many complaints of this manufacturing defect have been filed and recalls were in effect for other model years.

- Uniontown, OH, USA