CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1.6

2005 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 172016

Explorer

Vehicle engine while traveling, generally at high rates of speed greater than 40mph, will randomly turn off. There are no warning lights, no indication on the instrument panel. The engine just turns off. The only way of knowing is once the gas pedal is depressed to increase speed and then realized the car had turned off. This is happening more frequently. I had to by a new car. Explorer just sits in the driveway. This happen randomly with no notice and generally while traveling at speeds above 40 mph

- Weatherford, TX, USA

May 022016

Explorer

Car stalled while driving at highway speeds. Brakes and steering became impaired. Lucky, I was in the rightmost lane and was able to narrowly avoid collision. Incident occurred after a ~3hr drive as I was exiting the highway (I.e. slowing down). Upon restart, engine turned over, but was undriveable due to iterative surge/stall cycles.

- Loudonville, NY, USA

Apr 152014

Explorer

Im not sure if this should be with engine section but I didn't see a transmission part. I was driving my SUV and transmission light in the message center came on and said, over drive on /off kept flashing. Took to a body shop nearby they diagnosed the problem to be the transmission. With further investigation mechanic told me that second / third gear was gone. I ended up spending $4500 for new transmission to be installed. The mechanic informed me that it is a common problem with the 2005 Ford Explorer.

- Brunswick, MD, USA

Aug 202014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, the traction control warning light remained illuminated. In addition, the contact mentioned that there was a reduction in engine power. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Jun 022014

Explorer 6-cyl

My son was driving home at approximately 35 mph at 10:30 pm and the vehicle shut off completely. He was able to re-start it. There were no maintenance lights on. I bought this car for my teenage son in April 2014 and this is the 3rd time it has happened to him. A mechanic checked it out, but could not find anything wrong with the car. Not sure what to do now, and my son is leaving for college in August and driving his vehicle.

- Pfafftown, NC, USA

Mar 182011

Explorer

Because of the recent GM recall ignition issue, I thought I should let someone know about the serious similar issue I had 3 times before I traded my car in. The car would just shut off while driving. And all 3 times, I pulled to the side of the road and restarted the car and continued on my way. I was lucky to have a place to pull over safely. I took it to my mechanic twice, found nothing wrong. Took it to Ford and they found nothing wrong. I traded the 2005 for a 2011. I also told the dealer that I traded it into about the engine just shutting off for no reason and to check out the problem before they sold it again.

- Truckee, CA, USA

Feb 102014

Explorer 6-cyl

Car suddenly quit and the engine fail safe light came on. Computer scan showed the throttle actuator/control was stuck closed, and could clear any codes. Vehicle would not move at all.. I had to have it towed back to my home. Engine would not run at more than an idle with the accelerator fully depressed, and there would be no change in the RPM.

- Lynchburg, OH, USA

Jan 162014

Explorer 6-cyl

Had fueled (full) 2 hours before. Gas gauge dropped to empty. Miles to empty shows dashes. Service engine soon light is on.

- Eatonville, WA, USA

Oct 032012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the vehicle was leaking coolant. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where the technician diagnosed that the thermostat housing piece had melted and caused the leak. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 103,000 and the current mileage was 113,000.

- Covington, GA, USA

Sep 062013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the engine caught on fire. The fire eventually died without being extinguished. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not yet diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 082012

Explorer 6-cyl

The engine had been behaving strange. There was a "tinking" sound, like when you hit metal against metal, and the engine would slip out of gear when under speed control. The vehicle was driven the night before with no problems. The next morning it tried to turn over but couldn't start. The local Ford dealership says the sprocket jack shaft broke, controls cam broke, there were bent valves, lifters were hit with the jack shaft and cams were hit too. The engine hydro-locked, ruining the top of the engine. I called the national Ford complaint center. Ford said it would not offer any financial assistance for putting in a new motor.

- Caribou, ME, USA