- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 2 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 5 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 5 days ago
- May 22: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fumes Plague Police news | 8 days ago
- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 14 days ago
NHTSA — Air Bags Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 4 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 6 / 1
- Average Mileage:
- 60,201 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
seat belts / air bags problem