- July 20: Ford Expands Chrome Door Handle Cover Recall recalls | 3 days ago
- July 16: Ford Recalls Edge, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Over Torque Converters recalls | 7 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls Escape and Police Interceptors recalls | 24 days ago
- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 25 days ago
- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 34 days ago
Wheel Bearing Failure
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 102,265 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 19 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace wheel bearing (17 reports)
- not sure (2 reports)
wheels / hubs problem