CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

8.0

2. replace windshield (2 reports)
2005 Ford Explorer windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 022016

Explorer XLT 4.0L

We bought this car for our granddaughter. I'm so happy this happened before we gave it to her. This is a total black mark on Fords Quality that I always thought they had. I've been a Ford owner for many years, this has me rethinking whether I want to own another one. Terrible design!! They ought to be ashamed of themselves. I'm just happy nobody was hurt. Okay Ford it's time you owned up to the design flaw and fix it!!

- , Wolfe City, TX, USA

Sep 012016

Explorer

I had just picked my 4 year old daughter up from day care. We went into my home to get ready for my son's open house at school and to wait for my wife and son to get home. They arrived about 20 minutes after a got home and they greeted me with confusion as they asked what had happened to the back glass of my 2005 Ford Explorer. I had no idea. Everything was fine when I arrived home. I went out to see what they were fussing about and was greeted with a shattered back window. The panel underneath the window was bent and the glass had looked like it literally exploded. Glass was everywhere! The vehicle was sitting idle for at least 20 minutes. What if we were still in the vehicle when the glass exploded? My daughter would have been hit with the glass! Someone at Ford needs to fix this problem because, judging from other instances and research, this isn't the first time it has happened.

- , Washington, PA, USA

Sep 032015

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

click to see larger images

rear window exploded rear window exploded rear window exploded

I have always had Fords. 35 years ago I tried to branch out and bought a Buick and it was nothing but trouble. That was before they had "lemon" laws, so I couldn't do much about it than return to Fords. I bought this Explorer new 10 years ago. It is my personal daily vehicle. It had the tiny crack in the lift gate by the insignia that everyone of them get but that was just cosmetic. So I return from the supermarket in 90 degree weather and I pull up the lift gate and stick my head in to grab my bags, when the hinge that attaches to the glass part of the lift gate fails and the lift gate crashes on the back of my head. The torque was so great it bent the other hinge and shatters the glass all over and completely cracks the gate. I am waiting for the adjuster to make an appointment to see the disaster. Of course it's a 3 day weekend. I have a $500 deductible. I just switched to this insurance company 3 days ago. I had my previous company for 15 years and never made a claim. Whats' this new company (cheaper) going to do? What's Ford (the company I am so loyal to) going to do?

- , St. Anne, IL, USA

May 242010

Explorer V6

top section of rear window was open +when i went to shut it-----it just exploded into a a million pieces+cut me in several places ---i was luckey on that-----the back panel by the ford emblem also had a crack ----there is no reason that window should have exploded like that--waitin on a adjuster+then down to the ford dealership where i am sure they will blow me off

- , Melbourne, FL, USA