- October 17: Ford Recalls 2015 Mustang to Fix Seat Belt Buckle Assembly
- October 13: Ford Cracked Tailgate Class-Action Lawsuit Ongoing
- October 6: Ford Recalls Cars, Trucks and SUVs To Fix Fuel System Failures
- October 6: Feds Investigate Power Steering Problems In Ford, Mercury and Lincoln Cars
- September 26: Ford Recalls 850,000 Vehicles For Short Circuit That Disables Air Bags
Water Pump Failure
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- No data
- Average Mileage:
- 75,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 2 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace water pump (2 reports)
cooling system problem