- May 27: Ford Recalls 443,000 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Cars
- May 26: Ford Edge Investigated After 22-Inch Alloy Wheel Breaks
- May 13: Ford Recalls 2015 Ford F-150 Trucks To Fix Loss of Steering
- May 4: Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Brake Hose Failures Investigated
- May 1: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Problems Turn Into Huge Recall
Whooping Sound From Rear End
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- No data
- Average Mileage:
- 38,667 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 3 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (2 reports)
- tsb 05-23-3 (1 reports)