- September 22: Ford Shattering Sunroofs Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 4 days ago
- September 8: Ford Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles Over Door Latches recalls | 18 days ago
- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 29 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 32 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 50 days ago
Engine Stalls While Idling
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 51,705 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 25 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (22 reports)
- cleaned mass air flow sensor run techron additive (1 reports)
- replace throttle body (1 reports)
- use fuel with techron to clean the fuel injectors (1 reports)