- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 3 days ago
- April 12: Ford F-150 SuperCab Takes Top Crash Test Award news | 18 days ago
- March 31: Ford Recalls 48,000 Vehicles in 3 Recalls recalls | 30 days ago
- March 20: Ford Trucks Won't Be Recalled For Stalling Problems investigations | 41 days ago
- March 6: Judge Denies Ford's Motion to Dismiss Power Steering Lawsuit news | 55 days ago
Engine Stalls While Idling
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 51,705 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 25 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (22 reports)
- cleaned mass air flow sensor run techron additive (1 reports)
- replace throttle body (1 reports)
- use fuel with techron to clean the fuel injectors (1 reports)