2007 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Explorer:

2007 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 122013

Transmission began to slip and make a loud thud sound when putting the car in gear. Took it to the dealership and they said the 3rd and 4th gear was damaged. I always took the vehicle to get serviced by the dealership when needed and now that the transmission went out they take no responsibility and won't fix the defective transmission.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Oct 202012

Explorer 6-cyl

Check engine light came on and after a diagnostic, it appears that there is an issue with the transmission. From reading online, there are a lot of owners that have had transmission issues with the '07 Explorer.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 182013

Explorer 6-cyl

I had my 2007 Explorer eddie bauer 4.0L V6 engine in service to replace a new radiator and reprogrammed PCM. Paid $1300. Radiator was leaking and transmission problems. Transmission shifts too hard and hesitates going into reverse with a loud bang into gear. I really like my car except that it jerks forward when I am slowing down to stop. This occurs as my transmission down-shifts from either 3rd to 2nd gear or 2nd to 1st gear. It is a significant problem. It lunges my car forward when I am braking to stop. After they reprogrammed PCM and it runs fine for about a week then back to the same problem. Ford should recall this vehicle with radiator/transmission problems. I think when radiator was leaking then it caused transmission to fail because its connecting lines between radiator and transmission. There was no warning light came on my instrument panel. It is so dangerous to drive especially with my family and children too. I don't think if it was a PCM problem. It is a physical damage inside the transmission. We are not paying to rebuild or a new transmission for around $4,000 while I am still paying on the car loan. Ford must do something and recall this Explorer vehicles now!!!! stop making cheap plastic / thin aluminum materials!

- Waldwick, NJ, USA

Sep 082012

I bought this vehicle used through a certified Ford dealership where my father works and I had bought all my previous cars in April 2012. It only had one previous owner, no major history and was completely upgraded by the previous owner. I had it completely checked out, had the tranny flushed, twice, and all seemed okay. No warranty of any kind was available due to Ford policy... supposedly. I moved to Texas in June of 2012 and it did okay. Then one day, in September, I had my husband and children in the SUV and all of sudden it just started acting strange, wouldn't speed up, the RPM's would go crazy, the noise sounded horrible and then it just stopped moving. Luckily we were just heading out of town and not yet on the major highway. We got it moved to a service station and had to call our insurance company to tow our vehicle to a Ford dealership. We had to wait more than an hour for a ride home. We were now without a vehicle in a new state. I was told that the only fix was to replace the transmission. I put $4000 down on this vehicle, financed the rest and spent the rest of our savings to move from ne to tx. I had no extra cash to spend $4000 to fix it. I was told to let the bank take it and get another vehicle. I had to come up with $1000 down and get a lower quality vehicle and have the bank take it back. They sold it at auction for only $4000 so we still owe $13000! I had the vehicle for only 5 months and because of a Ford problem I owe $13000"!?!?! this is not right. I have been a loyal Ford girl and Ford mechanic's daughter my entire life and this is what I get"! I want to know what can be done or what Ford will do about this. I'm broke and my credit destroyed because of this. I don't like how everyone sues people but I am ready to sue! ugh!! I just want answers and results!!!!!!!

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Nov 092012

Explorer 6-cyl

Transmission slipped and would not accelerate finding out a band or belt failed causing the vehicle to totally lose 4th gear.

- Belair, MD, USA

Sep 182011

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving vehicle at any speed, if you hit a bump, the seat will retract (move away from) the controls. The seat will move all the way back to the "exit the vehicle" mode. When approaching a stop sign or stop light, if you hit a bump, and your foot is on the brake, the seat will retract from the steering wheel, all the way back. The seat moves back at about the same rate you are applying braking pressure. If you are not paying attention, you could easily rear end some one. When turning off a street, you hit the curb drain along side all business entrances of the road, the seat may move back and forth several short times, causing you to hit the throttle fast while coming into a parking lot or it may cause to take your foot completely off the accelerator while turning. I was driving in a blizzard on bad roads and for whatever reason, right hand turns caused the seat to move away from the gas pedal. Which is dangerous when you have a car moving up from behind. Very dangerous. Been to Ford for a fix, it lasted one month before it started back up. My warranty has expired and no further attempt to repair has been made. Ford is aware of the issue.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Mar 122011

Car was parked and upon returning to vechicle attempted to shift from park to drive. Brake was engaged, brake lights were on had difficulty shifting, could not get the vehicle in drive. After about 3 attempts, it worked. Called dealer on the following Monday since this was a sat. Nite. Scheduled diagnostics for 3/17/11. Kept having this issue intermittently (more often then not) until drop off. Vehicle around 8:00 a.M. was notified around 2 P.M. that all diagnostics point to the shifting lever needs to be replaced and that this repair ($435) was not covered under the extended warranty that was purchased at the time of sale. I was basically told it was "bumper to bumper" coverage. Left the vehicle at the dealer as I was leaving for a bus. Trip on 3/19/11. Called Ford customer care (called at least three times between Thursday afternoon and Tuesday). Finally reached the rep that my issue had been escalated to on 3/22/11. Told him that I was looking for a "goodwill" repair on behalf of Ford Motor Co. I felt that this issue should have been covered under the extended warranty, otherwise, why would people buy the extended warranty if they couldn't count on it covering anything? final resolution was that they would contact the dealership to make the repair, I would pay the $50 deductible that I would have had to pay had the warranty covered the service. I was basically told "don't expect that the next time something like this happens that you can call Ford and they will take care of it." The bottom line is I am satisfied that it is being repaired for the $50 deduct. However, I am very disappointed that I needed to "jump through hoops" to get this accomplished. I believe that the dealership should have worked with Ford on my behalf to get this taken care of. About 6 months prior to this there were front end and wheel issues with this vehicle.

- Norhfield Falls, VT, USA

Sep 132010

Electronic throttle body in my 2007 needs to be replaced. I have not had the car long enough to have this problem. I have been told this needs to be replaced at a high cost.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jun 272010

I have a 2007 for Explorer. While I was driving on the interstate the vehicle went from 65 mph to 20 mph. I took the vehicle to the Ford dealer who advised that the transmission went out. That this is a know issue with the Explorer from 2002 to 2008. I contacted six other independent transmission shops who also advised that this is a know issue for Ford Explorer year 2002 to 2008. I then contacted Ford customer relationship center 800-392-3673 who advised that even though its a know issue with Ford that only dealer repair reports count towards a recall with NHTSA not independent transmission company's repair of the problem. I explained to them that I had a two year old in the vehicle with me not only my life was in danger but a child also. The response from Ford customer service group was regardless no one got hurt.

- Dulith, GA, USA