CarComplaints.com Notes: After a half-decade of major transmission problems, Ford seems to have solved all the major defects with the Explorer.

We are happy to say that both the CarComplaints.com & the NHTSA data indicate no problems whatsoever with the 2010 Ford Explorer.

2010 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Explorer:

2010 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 232016

Explorer 6-cyl

The wrench symbol has come on several times. The last time it stayed on along with an engine symbol. Ford dealership said they couldn't find anything to indicate why the wrench symbol came on but did replace the throttle body to take care of the engine symbol. I'm concerned that if this comes on again, it may lead to serious problems. Could they have removed a fuse that controls the wrench trouble light? in all cases, I was driving the vehicle when the wrench symbol came on.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Sep 262016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Explorer. While driving 30 mph entering the highway, the crankshaft pulley fractured and caused three other vehicles to be struck by the pulley. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 81,000.

- Murray, UT, USA

Apr 272016

Explorer

Transmission intermittently slips out of a low gear preventing acceleration. Appears to jump into a neutral revving engine only before catching in gear. Very dangerous for merging onto highways. Only occurs periodically and at low speeds. Had several transmissions replaced continues to do same.

- Venetia, PA, USA

Jun 202016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Explorer. While the vehicle was parked, the key fob could not be removed from the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that an unknown pin within the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Liberal, KS, USA

Nov 302015

Explorer

A failure of the electric interlock between the ignition and the "park" position occurred which makes it possible to move the shift from "park" to some other position without pressing on the brake pedal. This can result in someone sitting in the passenger seat moving the shift from "park" while the vehicle is on an incline. This has been such an extensive/ongoing problem with this vehicle, that the parts to repair it are on back-order for up to 6 months!! it's only a matter of time before the scenario I described above occurs, causing damage if not injury to something/someone. The current condition of my vehicle is that I cannot rotate the ignition key to the "off" position, so it must be left in the vehicle when I depart. That's illegal in this state, but I have no choice if I want to/have to use my vehicle. I checked 'blogs' on this subject, and discovered that this problem has been occurring for a long time, and Ford is aware of it.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Feb 282015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the vehicle continued to roll when the gear was shifted into park. The continued jumped in the vehicle, but the brakes failed to respond. The vehicle crashed into the wall of the house and an iron gate. The vehicle came to a complete stop. The local authorities were notified, but no report was filed. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired per the insurance company. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Santa Isabel, PR, USA

Oct 012014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed to shift out of park. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Canton , MI, USA

Mar 142013

Explorer

I own a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 that I purchased new in 2009. At approximately 30,000 miles the driver's side front wheel bearings wore out and were replaced under warranty. A second time after warranty at approximately 55, 000 miles the same wheel bearings were replaced at a cost of over $500. The entire wheel hub assembly was replaced and I was told by the dealer that this is fairly common" the truck now has only 66, 000 miles on it and has 3 sets of wheel bearings on the same side. What kind of defect in the front end can be causing this" (I rarely use the four wheel drive if this helps).

- South Hamilton, MA, USA

Jul 102014

Explorer 8-cyl

Car idles and surges while either in park or while foot on brake quite scary as you watch the RPM rise on its own wondering if the car will jet out in traffic.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Apr 222013

Explorer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at no particular speed, the vehicle shifted into 4-wheel drive while driving 70 mph on the interstate and at other speeds on different highways.. the failure recurred intermittently over a one year span. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the front wheel bearing was replaced, but it did not resolve the issue. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 6/10/14

- 606-273-1221, KY, USA

Nov 282013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that he was unable to shift the vehicle out of park. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the shifter assembly would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Jan 212012

Explorer 6-cyl

My wife and I were leaving our local walmart store and we were driving in the parking lot. We were going down a hill at approximately 10 mph and my foot was covering the brake and was not on the accelerator. Suddenly the car accelerated rapidly with the motor racing. I immediately pressed the brake with both feet and stopped the vehicle but this sudden acceleration caused the car to travel approximately 50 feet. In another 30 feet the car would have gone off a high embankment. I am an experienced driver of 43 years without an accident and a trained and experienced driver education teacher, however, I was frightened by this sudden acceleration and my wife remarked that she would have not been able to stop the vehicle and would have been down the embankment. I took the car to the dealership and nothing was found. I am currently driving the car but are greatly concerned about the safety of the vehicle.

- Laurens, SC, USA

Aug 192011

Explorer

2010 Ford Mountaineer stopping at a red light, putting the brake on and the car would not stop. The engine was revving and had to take it out of gear to stop the car.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Jul 102010

Explorer

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer w/approx. 120M miles. My O/D light started blinking and I got a "ck transmission" message. After exploring the internet I found over 200 other owners complaining about the same problem. I terrified 2 take 2 my Ford dealer after reading complaints from others. The light starts flashing after about 5 miles from starting the car.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA