CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

3.6

2011 Ford Explorer accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Dec 252016

Explorer

I had started the car before our trip with the remost start and it warmed up for 10 minutes. We were about 15 minutes into our trip and driving down the I-96 expressway in grand rapids, mi near exit 43 (28th street), 65 mph, 9:45pm, 32-33 degrees outside and raining, rear window defroster on as well as auto temp control at 70 degrees. All of a sudden the rear window loudly explodes inwards and showers our 10 year old daughter with glass (she was the only passenger in the third row) as well as into the passenger compartment. Immediately pulled off the highway at the next exit, there was no sign of impact, no snow or ice in the car, no rocks, no bullets. Where it occurred there were no overpassess or signs over the road (nothing could have fallen on our car). After inspecting the window, it was apparant that the whole window was shattered with a large gaping hole in the lower middle (12" X 18") with most of that glass in the passenger compartment. The rear windsheild wiper had came through the hole and was inside the car (but still attached to its outside position). The edges on both sides of the rear window had broken off.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

Oct 182015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 60 mph, the front exterior driver side windshield panel detached. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Dec 312014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the contact heard a hissing noise coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the A-pillars needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,500.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Sep 062014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle was parked in the driveway, where it had been since the previous day. I opened the front drivers side door and got into the car. I put the keys into the ignition switch and started the vehicle. At this point I closed the drivers side door. At this moment I heard a loud "pop" sound. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw a large hole in the glass of the upper center portion of the rear window. Upon further inspection the remaining glass was shattered and spider webbed. There was glass on the ground outside the vehicle as well as in the rear compartment of the car.

- New Durham, NH, USA