2012 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 112013

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the all-wheel drive warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact did not take the vehicle for diagnostic testing or repairs. The failure mileage was 17,000....updated 08-08-13

- Lawrence, NY, USA

Jun 212013

I was driving in a parking garage and the terrain management system and power steering systems became disabled. The car was very difficult to handle once the power steering was lost. When I parked the car, shut the car off and restarted, the power steering appeared to be back but the terrain management system continued to show an error. I will be contacting the dealer today. I have seen similar complaints listed here - I hope Ford is addressing appropriately.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Aug 212012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was slowing down as I was approaching a traffic signal and heard a warning chime. Initially, vehicle did not show any signs of problem, but got a warning message of power steering failure (or something similar) and another one indicating to service the advance track system. The advance track indicator light went out on the dial, too. After a few hundred feet the power steering was completely gone and I had to use significant effort to steer the vehicle into my driveway. Fortunately, I was only 2 miles from home with few turns to get there. Almost couldn't make the turn into my driveway. Started & restarted the vehicle several times and eventually all problems and warning lights disappeared. Drove the vehicle a few miles and all seems ok. Will update with any additional issues after 8/21/12. Vehicle was purchased used on 8/15/12 with 12,700 miles. Called dealer and they said to bring in if problems persist.

- Eagleville, PA, USA

Aug 192012

I was driving home from a movie on pacific coast hwy in huntington beach, ca and all of sudden the power steering assist fault warning came on, I hadn't lost complete function of the steering but it was about a half a mile down the road that it got almost impossible to steer. I called the dealership and they told me to tow it to the dealership as soon as possible. I didn't know that there was a short term fix by turning off and then turning back on again to make the warning light go away. Tomorrow taking in my car to dealer to get it fix.... now before it ends in crash or someone killed.!!!!!! I have the ecoboost I4 cylinder engine.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA