2012 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 022013

Explorer 6-cyl

On Dec. 2, 2013 I was stopped on the side of the road with a slight decline at a school bus stop. I put the vehicle in park (while still on) and got out of the car to retrieve a forgotten item from the back for one of the children (as I have done numerous times before without incident). When I exited the vehicle, it started to roll forward (while still in park). It rolled off of the road, down an embankment, into a ditch/ravine, crashed into a tree and rolled onto the driver's side, coming to rest at an approximate 45 degree angle. My 20-month-old child was in the car at the time and was seated on the side of the car that was in contact with the ground when the car crashed. After retrieving the child (physically unharmed) from the car with help from a passerby, I noticed the car was still running. The passerby and I went down to turn the car off and remove the keys, at which point it was verified that the car was in fact still shifted into the park position. The tow truck company also verified that the car was in park when they arrived. Speed of the vehicle at the time of impact is unknown, as it started from a stop and increased in speed as it continued to roll forward and down the embankment. Post crash, the 20-month-old was physically fine, but expressed significant emotional anxiety when being placed in his other car seat for subsequent car rides. Side airbags on both sides of the car deployed, front did not (presumably because no one was seated in the front of the vehicle). Once the engine was turned off and the keys were removed, the horn began honking (presumably a built in safety feature). Once removed from the crash site (time to remove: 2.5 hours using 2 different tow trucks), the car was not drivable and after 21 days the car was determined to be a total loss.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Aug 102013

Explorer 4-cyl

This is a continual problem report one 8/10/13 19,000 miles: Power steering light came on and power steering went out while driving vehicle <15 mph and back ceiling light came on and wouldn't go out. Ford: 8/13/2013 said ceiling light shortened out battery and caused power steering to go out - ordered light bulb came back in 3 days to replace light bulb - they said power steering was fixed. Report two 9/23/13 23,891 miles: Power steering light came on while parked. Ford: Did diagnostic said the issue was most likely wiring and said issue was fixed and I left with car report three 10/02/13 24,280 miles: Power steering light came on dashboard and power steering went out while driving on a highway 65 mph, pulled off hwy. Reported incident to Ford. Ford: Ran diagnostic, said issue was motherboard. Ordered part and I returned in a few days to replace computer board. Told issue was resolved and left with my car. Report four 10/31/2013 25,295 miles: Power steering yellow light came on dashboard as I started vehicle in parking lot. Power steering had not gone out only had warning light showing. I drove a few minutes home without the steering going out. I started car about an hour later in garage and power steering was completely out. Bright red lights on dashboard. Warning light said something to the tune of 'report power steering immediately". Ford: Kept car for 4 full days while we drove rental and was told they have no solution and Ford regional's engineers supposedly said 'this is not an issue they have seen before' (even though there are almost 100 reports on the NHTSA website about this exact issue) and to report if happens again. Report five 11/28/13 27,000 miles: Power steering went out while starting vehicle in garage dashboard light up with red warning signs. Have to wait until after holiday to report to service.

- Mascoutah, IL, USA

Jul 112013

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the all-wheel drive warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact did not take the vehicle for diagnostic testing or repairs. The failure mileage was 17,000....updated 08-08-13

- Lawrence, NY, USA

Jun 212013

Explorer

I was driving in a parking garage and the terrain management system and power steering systems became disabled. The car was very difficult to handle once the power steering was lost. When I parked the car, shut the car off and restarted, the power steering appeared to be back but the terrain management system continued to show an error. I will be contacting the dealer today. I have seen similar complaints listed here - I hope Ford is addressing appropriately.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Aug 212012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was slowing down as I was approaching a traffic signal and heard a warning chime. Initially, vehicle did not show any signs of problem, but got a warning message of power steering failure (or something similar) and another one indicating to service the advance track system. The advance track indicator light went out on the dial, too. After a few hundred feet the power steering was completely gone and I had to use significant effort to steer the vehicle into my driveway. Fortunately, I was only 2 miles from home with few turns to get there. Almost couldn't make the turn into my driveway. Started & restarted the vehicle several times and eventually all problems and warning lights disappeared. Drove the vehicle a few miles and all seems ok. Will update with any additional issues after 8/21/12. Vehicle was purchased used on 8/15/12 with 12,700 miles. Called dealer and they said to bring in if problems persist.

- Eagleville, PA, USA

Aug 192012

Explorer

I was driving home from a movie on pacific coast hwy in huntington beach, ca and all of sudden the power steering assist fault warning came on, I hadn't lost complete function of the steering but it was about a half a mile down the road that it got almost impossible to steer. I called the dealership and they told me to tow it to the dealership as soon as possible. I didn't know that there was a short term fix by turning off and then turning back on again to make the warning light go away. Tomorrow taking in my car to dealer to get it fix.... now before it ends in crash or someone killed.!!!!!! I have the ecoboost I4 cylinder engine.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA