2012 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 082016

Explorer

Drove about 2 miles in the morning while turning onto the interstate ramp the steering locked up would not go over 30mph, SUV started to smoke while the temperature gauge never changed inside of the vehicle. Lucky to not have caused a major accident. After having vehicle towed, per the mechanic the computer system is fried, motor valves melted, and all spark plugs need to be replaced. This SUV is only a 2012 and should not have this major of problems when it has been well taken care of. Ford really needs to look further into this so this does not happen to someone else.

- Henryville, IN, USA

Oct 222016

Explorer

Takata recall I purchased this vehicle in January 2016, on October 22, 2016 while driving in elberton Georgia my car alerted me that the power steering needed to be serviced. About 2 miles down the road my turn signal wouldn't stay on when being used to turn. A few hours later when ready to head home I could not get my car to steer without major effort on my part. I am a mother of 3 and I refuse to put my kids in an unsafe vehicle. The issue has to do with the power steering control module and I was informed by Ford that they would not fix the issue at no charge because the recall 14S06 has expired and I had exceeded the mileage warranty by almost 3000 miles. I don't feel that I am responsible for the charges to get this issue fixed being as I was not aware of the recall. I'm not happy that I'm expected to cover charges on something I wasn't aware was a problem with my vehicle until the service alert appeared. This is my 1st Ford vehicle and I absolutely love it, however, if this is the customer service that I am going to receive I will not ever buy another Ford vehicle and I will not recommend anyone to purchase from Ford. I have been without a vehicle for 2 days as of right now, which makes it very difficult to get my kids to daycare/school and get to work. My husband has had to ask about changing his schedule in order to help me since I don't have a vehicle. Sincerely, unhappy mother of 3

- Winterville, GA, USA

Oct 102016

Explorer

Vehicle has been driving perfectly fine and out of no where it shows 2 warnings. One indicting to service power steering, and the other indictating to service advance trac system. The steering fluid is full and there are no damaged to the hose or power steering system. This is showing the same signs of the recalled Explorer yet this one has not been recalled.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Sep 102016

Explorer

Vehicle has 66,000 miles. The service power steering now and advancetrac warning lights came on Saturday evening (9/10/16). Vehicle drove with no issues that evening. Sunday morning (9/11/16) the same indicator lights came on and the power steering did not work. Checked for leaks, fuses, etc. And no apparent issues. As dealerships were closed on Sunday, autozone ran diagnostics and showed zero error codes, even with warning lights on. This vehicle is not covered under the existing 2012 Ford Explorer recall regarding the same issue that seems to be occurring in the same year, make and model of car.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Jun 232016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Explorer. While driving at a low speed in reverse, the steering wheel seized completely. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the angle sensor and housing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Jun 262016

Explorer

When I was driving my Ford Explorer 2012 on a busy highway (us 60), the vehicle suddenly reminded me that "power steering assist fault", then the steering wheel became inoperable, which put me in an extremely dangerous position. Very luckily, no accident happened; a gentleman stepped out his vehicle and told me to restart the vehicle; after that my vehicle become operable. This is the first time, "power steering assist fault" occurred in this vehicle, and it was completely unexpected during driving in a busy highway. It is a very dangerous fault!!! on Oct. 1st, 2014, this vehicle's "power steering control module" was reprogrammed, (2011-2013 Explorer, electric power steering reprogram pscm), at a Ford dealer. The fault occurred today appears an evidence that the "reprogram" did not solve the problem. Given a large number of Ford Explorer running on the road, I believe, this is a very serious highway safety problem.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Apr 262016

Explorer

When we first bought the Explorer in 2012 the steering quit working on a hill and my wife crashed into a bank and a concrete light pole. Never was paid back for our insurance deductible plus now we have a wreck car not worth nothing even thought it was repaired. Ford did there update recall to the steering. All has been fine till April 2016. Twice it has showed a steering assist fault and the steering wheel wouldn't move. Luckily it was in the driveway. Ford can't look at it for a week so it sits in our driveway my wife is scared to drive it again and I don't blame her. So here we are again same problem which was suposabley fixed

- Rathdrum, ID, USA

Mar 282016

Explorer

I first reported an incident with the loss of power steering on March 24. I was told the problem was resolved by the dealer by replacing my battery? here it is 10 days later and another power steering assist failure. Vehicle was remote started from inside our home. 5 or more minutes later my wife got in the truck to find no power steering and the "power steering assist fault" error message on the dash.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Mar 122016

Explorer

My wife first told me she thought she had a flat in the front tire because the steering wheel was pulling back and forth. She stopped to check, no flats. Restarted the vehicle and all was good. Later that week while driving her dashboard lights blinked including the traction control lights. (she wasn't sure what other lights illuminated) at the same time the power steering failed. The software fix had already been done for recall 14S06 last August. Took the vehicle to the dealer and was told the battery didn't have enough charge to run diagnostics? there was never any sign of a weak battery. I had no recourse but to have them change it. After installing the new one I was told no codes are present that would warrent any additional service. I am not confident at all that this vehicle is safe to drive.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Dec 232015

Explorer

While making a left hand turn, the power steering went out, causing my vehicle to veer into a brick mailbox and ditch. Resulting in major damage to my vehicle and mailbox. Also causing injury to my right arm and shoulder.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Nov 112014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at a low speed, the instrument panel illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at high speeds, the steering wheel would shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 14V286000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,700.

- Hugo, MN, USA

Jul 222015

Explorer

I was on a residential street driving 35 miles an hour when the car suddenly went less than 5 miles an hour immediately. I drove it off to a safe spot and parked it. Luckily no one was behind med and I was not on an interstate or highway. No warning. It would not go over 5 miles an hour, even with the accelerator push all the way to the floor. I took it back to the dealer, where it was evaluated and I was told it needed an "update". now, I received a letter in the mail from Ford and was told there is a recall on this car's power steering unit. I am afraid of now driving the car till the electrical /computer system is fully tested. How do I get an answer?

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Jun 222015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the service power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the steering seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Jun 142015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Power steering failed on interstate. Driver drove to a safe place. I met them and drove the car to a place until it could be driven to a dealership. When I tried to drive it to the dealership, vehicle would not steer at all. I called a tow truck. Dealership told me the steering gear needed replaced. They said it wasn't covered under the recall. I called Ford customer service and they said the recall had been performed and was closed, therefore the steering gear was not covered. When they performed the software upgrade for the steering I had not had a problem with the steering. I believe Ford agreed to the recall and provided the software upgrade to avoid fixing the real problem, the steering gear. If the steering had completely locked up on my wife, she could have been involved in a violent accident at 70 mph. I think the investigation should be reopened on the steering failure, due to the fact people could be injured or killed in an accident and because I believe Ford chose to make the least costly repair to avoid correcting the problem. I am not the only person that has had this problem. I have seen multiple posts where Ford did the same thing to other owners with this problem. It is obvious the cost difference between a software "fix" and the steering gear replacement at a cost of over $1,500 would be the desired fix for Ford. The safety fix would be replacement of the steering gear. I believe you should investigate any accidents that may have occurred due to this defect and may not have been investigated due to extensive front end damage. I could not steer the vehicle at all, when I wanted to drive it to the dealer. This was witnessed by relatives and the tow truck driver. I don't think Ford should be able to offer a "software fix" to a problem that is not fixed by the software upgrade. Thank you for all you do.

- East Bank, WV, USA

Jun 232015

Explorer

On 6/23/2015 my wife brought her 2012 Ford Explorer to me stating it was very hard to steer. By the time I left work at 6pm, the hixson Ford dealership was closed. The next morning, while on the way to the Ford dealership and while going around a long curve on hwy 546, the steering wheel totally locked up causing me to be within inches of hitting an on-coming car in the curve. Jerking the wheel in the opposite direction that I was turning in the curve and then back unlocked it and enabled me to get back in my lane. Ford states that they had already "reprogrammed the pscm power steering control module" last July so therefore the "recall" for this issue (#14S06) has already been cleared for this particular vehicle. Whether Ford already reprogrammed the pscm or not, the issue which the recall was issued "power steering may lock up" has happened. My position is that "reprogramming" or "updating the software" is not going to fix a faulty sensor which is a part of the steering gear so the "alternative" recall fix should have been completed in the first place which is "replacing the steering gear". hixson wants $1,795 to replace the electronic steering gear. The faulty sensor cannot be replaced because it's apparently built into the steering gear. This recall issue should be paid for by Ford who has already admitted to a faulty sensor. I'm now on my 6th day of a rental car.

- Eros, LA, USA

Jun 282015

Explorer

When turning steering wheel left to right it makes clunking sound sound comes from under car most of the time to the right

- Sparks, GA, USA

Jun 282015

Explorer

Steering making clunking noise when you turn steering left to right most of the time to the right

- Sparks, GA, USA

Jun 082015

Explorer

I first encountered the problem on Monday June 08, 2015 as I was driving to work at the traffic light all of a sudden the steering was really hard to steer as I was trying to make a left turn I had to use all of might to make the turn very scary. I was able to drive my car home after work that night, everything okay till Wednesday, June 10, 2015 @ 7-8am, driving to drop my kids off to school and work, as I was a making a left turn it happened again, but worst it was busier day, 2 error message came on about steering assist and trac advance message, and 2 lights came on dashboard with a car and 2 wavy lines (road) 2nd picture was the same with the word off. I had to use all my might and drive slow to turn into the school turned the car off and on hoping lights will go off, still the same call my boss let her my car issues and that im running late. I called Ford service dept, I was told to the bring car in immediately not safe to drive but it will cost me to tow car. I drove car in that night myself, Thursday pick up rental, Friday -06/12/15, I received a call from Ford saying part will cost me 1500.00- $2000, not including labor. Outrageous its a electrical problem Ford should fix it free, but no per rep, let him know what I want to do on Monday rental will be on my own after that. Wow, first my rental I have to pay for upgrade it was not same size as my vehicle, family of 6(including my blind, disabled wheelchair father) who we care for, Ford still wont cover for a car same size as my car. I was told I need to take care of the difference for rental upgrade if I want a bigger car. So, ive decided I dont have that kind of money so I will pick my car up on Monday, June 15, 2015 and hope and pray that I wont get into an accident because Ford will not work me. My option is to trade my car in for another car and spend more money. Very disappointed in Ford!!!!!

- Wailuku, HI, USA

May 262015

Explorer

On my way to work the service power steering light came on in my 2012 Ford Explorer. When I got work I called the Ford dealer they said bring the vehicle in the steering could go out. Later the same day I took it to the dealer and the steering went out in the 2.5 mile trip to get to there. I was going very slow and managed to maintain control of the car, it was difficult and scary, no hydraulics any more these systems are all electronic. The dealer has had the vehicle for a week and has not been able to recreate or diagnosis what's wrong and therefore how to fix it. Ford has been absolutely no help will not return phone calls, nothing. So today they stop the car rental coverage and shove an undiagnosed safely issue back on me. I really do not want to drive this vehicle not knowing if the steering might go out at any time. I found on the internet there have been steering recalls on this vehicle make, model and year, but apparently only those assembled in Chicago. Ford has not issued a recall on this vehicle.

- Roswell, GA, USA

May 292015

Explorer

I went to crank my car and when I did I immediately received a power steer fail assist notice. My car had no power steering. I was able to slowly drive to a parking space and review my owner's manual. I let the car set for 10 seconds and then cranked again in hopes that it would reset. It didn't. I was able to drive home and park the car. This morning I took the car to hixson Ford in monroe, la. By that time I had received a traction error on the dashboard and also was unable to use my signal light. I was told all of this was in relation to the power steering and the need to replace the steering column for a price of $1794. It appears that Ford is very aware of the problems of the power steering failure. Why hasn't there been a larger recall? my car is not one of the 2012 models that was recalled. Just out of warranty and then this. I think further investigation is needed in the problems with the power steer failure.

- West Monroe, LA, USA