7.2

$1,314.00

1. replace or repaint hood (45 reports)
  2. should be a factory recall (30 reports)
  4. repaint (9 reports)
2013 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 052016

Explorer Limited 3.2L

Had the car for 4 years. The paint is blistering on the hood, I took it to the Ford dealer's collision shop. World Ford Pensacola. They said they see this a lot and has been going on for years. The collision estimator said it happened to his father in laws car. He took pictures and sent it in for a warranty claim. My corrosion warranty is for 5 years, unlimited miles.

After several calls to the collision estimator, he finally said that Ford said no the warranty without an explanation. He also said that at the last dealer he worked at Ford would usually cover it. I took it to a local body shop and they said they have seen this problem before and the hood would have to be repainted. There aren't any scratches. The paint is just blistering off the hood.

I can't understand why Ford will not owner there warranty.

- , Gulf Breeze, US

Nov 032016

Explorer XLT

Everything was fine, then one day when I was washing my car, I noticed that the paint was bubbled up along the edge of the hood.

- , Mentor, OH, US

Feb 152016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

A FORD repair shop wants $503.54 to fix this and they know it's a problem from the factory. The paint is bubbling up around the edges of the hood and then chipping off AND Ford won't fix it without charging. Everyone I've talked to tells me it's a problem that Ford knows about with these aluminum hoods and there are MANY complaints online BUT they won't fix problem. GET WITH IT FORD!!! Own up to your mistake and fix these hoods RIGHT!!!

I understand I bought this vehicle used and it's a great vehicle EXCEPT for this one problem. It's beginning to look BAD and everyone that asks me about it says "Why doesn't Ford fix it?" Great question. PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM if you want to continue to have ME as a customer.

- , Wiggins, US

Mar 132017

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter

We bought this new and had it Ziebart treated with the paint, corrosion, and interior protection. Two years ago we developed a paint bubble on the rear hatch. I told the Ziebart people and they said it was not an interior rust problem but a paint prep from the factory. They fixed it for $150 and then the following year we got another one. They fixed this one free of charge. I then noticed that the front hood has been bubbling all over the front lip. I have enclosed pictures. This will not be easy to fix. I just bought a new 2016 F150 with all aluminum body. I hope not to have the same problems or I will NOT be another Ford customer. I have only bought Ford products for the past 44 years. I even own Ford stock because of my loyalty.

- , Bucyrus, US

Aug 012016

Explorer XLT 3.2L

I would like to be part of a class action lawsuit if Ford does not fix this issue.

- , Cedar Park, TX, US

Jun 012016

Explorer Limited 3.2L/V6

Paradise Ford Body Shop http://paradiseford.com/ gave me a quote for $1000 plus; even said this is an ongoing issue with the aluminum parts of the hood. I asked if the paint job was guaranteed; she said no. In addition, there is a sporadic exhaust odor when I use the A/C.

I bought car two years ago and I chose Ford because they didn't take the Detroit bailout...very disappointed...

- , Merrit Island, US

Jan 012017

Explorer Sport

Add me to the list of people upset with Ford and their quality of work!

My 2013 Ford Explorer Sport, which is a $45,000 vehicle new, has paint bubbling all around the perimeter of the hood. It's 4 years old. I've had old cars and newer cars, none of them have ever had this problem. My car is garaged, washed every other week at least, and we've only put six thousand miles on it in 10 months of driving.

The Ford dealership was perplexed when we brought the car in. Half the people have never heard of this problem, and the other half (body shop guys) have. I think someone's lying! They know about it!

I can pay either $1800 to replace the hood and get a 2 year warranty, or pay $800 to have it repaired and hope it doesn't come back again. That's quite a bit of money to put into a car that I paid $30,000 for last summer! Ugh, Ford! Thanks for your 25% discount on some of the labor rates. You really know how to take care of customers and stand behind your product. Not.

I should have stayed with Toyota!

- , De Pere, US

Apr 012017

Explorer

Ford needs to stand behind this issue. MANY complaints nation wide.

- , Minier, US

Dec 312014

click to see larger images

I purchased this vehicle new. Around 35-40k miles I noticed paint start to bubble up on the perimeter of the hood. I mentioned it to my service tech at the dealer where I purchased, D-Patrick Ford in Evansville, IN. Service tech said that it was no longer under warranty and they couldn't do anything about it. As mileage increased, the bubbles became more numerous. I mentioned again around 50-55k miles when I had the vehicle in for service. Service tech said again it was no longer under warranty. I now have 66k miles on the vehicle and last night one of the bubbles burst and a huge chunk of paint came off. Drove it into the dealer and was told, sorry you need to call Ford. I called Ford and they will do nothing about it. $45,000 vehicle purchased almost 4 years ago and the paint is coming off and nobody cares.

- , Newburgh, US

Jan 172015

Explorer 3.5L V6

PAINT ON FRONT EDGE OF HOOD STARTED BUBBLING AT ABOUT THE TWO YEAR POINT. After 3 years paint has started coming off exposing corrosion on the metal hood. Currently there are 4 dime sized spots on the hood where the paint has come off. This should be a recall by Ford due the total number of cases submitted across all the different models of cars.

- , Wilmington, US

Aug 052015

Explorer LX 3.2L

I noticed the bubbly well over a year ago, however due to a recent accident the paint/body shop that was giving me my estimate said this definitely is due to improper work performed at time manufacturing. I contacted the dealership where I purchased the vehicle brand new and was advised that because the warranty was expired that this would probably not be repaired by Ford. This is ridiculous that a 3 year old vehicle would have this issue. And now I find out I am not alone.

- , Lafayette, US

Dec 012015

Explorer Limited V6

Paint is clearly bubbling and pitting around the perimeter of the hood and it is getting worse. Ford dealer claims that it is from highway driving....it is not even in the areas that would be exposed to road debris. You can see under the paint that this is an aluminum hood which is not really compatible with steel!

- , Middleton, MA, US

Feb 012015

Explorer

Ford needs to recall their vehicle asap. Too many issues from water leaks in the trunk area to paint peeling On the front grill.

- , Atlanta, GA, US

Jul 202016

Explorer

blistering around entire perimeter of hood. white powder is under paint. this is the aluminum rusting and popping the paint off. the cause is galvanic corrosion and water. Ford should have understood this mixing aluminum hoods with steel parts.

- , Thomasville, NC, US

Nov 252016

Explorer XLT V6

Given how common this issue is, Ford should issue a recall for this issue. I even purchased the additional paint protection when I bought the vehicle.

- , Saint Petersburg, FL, US

Jan 092017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

We purchased the Explorer in Jan 2017. It only had 26,279 miles . Last week I washed it and noticed the paint was bubbling around the front edge of the hood on the right side as well as the left side. I thought that this must be a common problem when I noticed some other Explorers in parking lots had the same issue. So I google Ford Explorers With Paint Problems. Bingo seems like everyone is not very happy with ford. This is a huge problem and it is FORDS falt ! They should all be recalled!!!!!

- , Coulee City, US

Sep 012016

Explorer XLT

Noticed paint bubbles on the front edge of the hood. No rust on the car, bubbles are from under the paint. I bought this car brand new from a RI dealer 3 years ago and put a claim in with Ford Motor Company. My claim was denied due to out of warranty from Ford. I have been working with the dealer for three months to get some resolution but to no avail to date, but will keep harassing them.

I noticed many other complaints for the same reason on the newer Ford explorers and firmly believe this is a factory defect that Ford needs to take responsibility for. It cost approximately $1,000 to repaint the hood and will not guarantee from happening again.

Obviously will not be buying a Ford again...although the redesigned Explorer is very a nice car. Too bad they can't own up to their lack of workmen.

- , Barrie, ON, Canada

Jul 012016

Explorer XLT V6

When I purchased my 2013 Ford Explorer, the sales person pointed out some spots on my hood that he said needed to be addressed before I took possession of the vehicle. The ended up repainting the entire hood. This past summer, my husband noticed the hood paint bubbling up near the front edge. FORD WILL not do anything as my car is 5 months out of warranty AND is not covered by the extended warranty I purchased. The dealership (KRAUSE FAMILY FORD) told me that I needed to return to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle to get this repaired even though they are owned by the same person.

There are a myriad of complaints about galvanic corrosion complaints on Ford vehicles on the internet. This site alone has 186 reports of this issue. There was a class action suit regarding this issue against Ford and they continue to produce subpar products and sell them for top dollar... DON'T BUY FORD PRODUCTS!

- , Marietta, US

Nov 012016

Explorer Limited Edition V6

For a vehicle that costs over 50k the paint should NOT be bubbling up causing rust on the hood!! Ford should have this vehicle model RECALLED and should not make their customer who supported their business, pay for such an issue! Please fix this soon,it matters for the future purchases of your vehicles.

- , Denver, NC, US

Mar 092016

Explorer XLT

noticed the hood bubbles .took to ford dealer ,was advised to contact ford .did by phone and e-mail. ford will not do any thing.

- , Supply, NC, USA