7.0

$1,321.00

1. replace or repaint hood (41 reports)
  2. should be a factory recall (22 reports)
  4. repaint (6 reports)
2013 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 072015

Explorer ES

paint on hood bubbling around perimeter

Bought a new Ford Explorer in October 2013 straight from the Ford dealership. In 2015, we noticed some chips and rust on the hood and took it to our local Ford rep who told us it was rock chips and therefore our issue. In 2016 we saw places where the paint was bubbling - and peeling off. Clearly not rock chips. Sent emails and pics to Metro Ford (where we get our service done) and they sent it to Ford Canada. Ford Canada's answer was that yes it looked like the paint was defective but hey, we are past our warranty so the best they can do is to cover 15% of repairs.

Now, I get that 15% is better than nothing but I find it really frustrating that basically Ford is happy that their paint is just good enough to make it through the 3 year warranty period. If we had pushed our Ford rep in 2015 when he said it was due to rock chips, we would probably have been able to get it done under warranty. Unfortunately we trusted that a paid representative of Ford who works around vehicles all day would actually know what he was talking about. Unfortunately Ford's response shows that they don't care about quality for either their reps or their vehicles.

- , Ca, AB, Canada

Sep 042016

Explorer Sport 3.5L V6

I have the very common problem of paint bubbling on the front lip of the hood on my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport. This is a common issue that Ford doesn't want to deal with, and hides behind a loophole in their corrosion warranty. According to them it's not "rust", or hasn't corroded entirely through the hood. There is also rust on the interior of rear passenger door, a small spot but still. Ford has been taken to task on this with multiple vehicle models, and the 2012 and newer Ford Explorer has had many reports of this exact issue. Many owners, including myself, are fed up with dealers ducking this issue. This is a 4 year old car and should not have this issue. The underlying cause is most likely the aluminum hood, which when applying paint, the process must be precise for the paint to adhere properly.

- , McCordsville, IN, USA

Dec 022016

Explorer XLT 2.4L V6

I KNOW OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM, MY MILAGE OF 24,200 IS WAY UNDER WARRANTY BUT FORD SAYS AGE WISE IT'S 6 MO. OUT OF WARRANTY. I STARTED EMAILING THEM AND INTEND TO STAY ON THEIR ASS TILL THEY RESOLVE THE ISSUE OR SEND SOMEBODY AFTER ME.

- , Worden, IL, USA

Aug 262015

Explorer Sport 3.5L Turbo

Paint on hood cracking and bubbling around edges, Ford will not warranty the defect. Local dealership is well aware of the problem but is OK with Fords sticking it to the customer while they figure out how to properly manufacture parts from aluminum. This should be a recall and fixed by Ford 100%.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 052016

Explorer XLT V6

A few months ago I took my 2013 Ford Explorer in for a routine check when the service Manager noticed bubbling in the paint around my hood area. He told me based on my Premium warranty I should take it to thee Ford body shop to be fixed. I immediately left there and went to the body shop the guy supposedly wrote it up and said he'd get back with me. I waited, no response so I went back up there a few days later and spoke with him again, he stated Ford hadn't gotten back with him. I waited again and since no response I returned only to be told by him that Ford said no not covered, I asked for the paper work because I was going to reach out to the Attorney General, the body shop Manager told me that his copy machine wasn't working so he didn't have a copy. At this point I was still frustrated and let is along for a few months, this all occurred originally in June or July of this year when my car had over 50,000 but less than 59,000. Now it's Dec and the spot looks a whole lot worse, just horrible. I went back to the body shop since it's under new Management and Dean has been looking into it but told me again Ford said No. When I purchased my Ford Explorer there were several people in my church and family that folloed suit (Mark Rose can confirm) He's a sales man at Courtesy Ford in Danville. I need Ford to tell me why my next purchase should be a Ford. I switched from GM due to the fact they didn't have the SUV I was looking for at that time and Ford did. I'm considering going back to GM, never had an issue like this I still have my 2002 Seville and no paint issues nor did I have an issue with my Cadillac CTS that I traded for this vehicle. I'm not happy with this and rally wish Ford would take responsibility and pay for this instead of waiting until the issue gets worse and more costly. It makes no sense to me. We have a Taurus, Explorer, Silverado, F150 and an Escape (you see there is some loyalty to Ford) but can't get you all to correct this Factory defect. Wow!

- , Danville, IL, USA

Sep 012016

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

We have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. The paint on the hood is bubbling around the perimeter. We have been trying to work with Ford for over a year and have gotten nowhere. We have gotten absolutely nowhere. Contacted Ford and they denied the claim because of age and miles. This is a $50,000. car and the paint doesn't even last 3 years, absolutely ridiculous!!!! When I called the customer service number, I was told there was no other person or department to speak to. Our body shop won't even paint it because they said it won't last and being the great shop they are, they guarantee their work for the life of the car. We have a 2003 Chevy Impala with 300,000 miles and the paint looks great. Why can't Ford take care of a problem that it their fault. We love our Explorer but I will never buy another Ford product because of this problem. We heard there is a class action lawsuit being filed concerning this issue. Does anyone have any information that they would be willing to share?

- , Steeleville, IL, USA

Mar 292016

Explorer Limited 2.0L V4

Another annoyed customer with a problem that shouldn't be a problem. My explorer is past the point of bubbling and now full peeling. Part of the hood is showing rusted metal at this point. Wish I could fix it soon but don't have that kind of extra cash and really believe I shouldn't have to pay for this.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 012016

Explorer XLT

Paint on hood bubbling up on the edge due to aluminum corrosion, and paint on bottom inside edge of doors is worn away and starting to rust from contact with the lower body trim. I received an estimate of $900. Ford refused to pay since the vehicle was past the 36,000 mile and 3 year point. So for the low cost of $900, Ford is losing a lifetime customer with 5 Fords in his driveway. Unbelievable. Why would I buy another new Ford when the paint wears away in less than 4 years!

- , Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Aug 272016

Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost

The paint is blistering around the edge of the hood in several spots. This should not be occurring on a 2013 car that cost $50,000.00. Repaint the hood and extend a warranty on the hood paint or repaint the area of the problem with a trim paint ( Black ) that has not had this problems.

- , Hudson, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Explorer Limited V6

Just like others the paint on the hood is bubbling and peeling off and Ford won't recognize the problem. Should be a recall. My husband has a fleet of Fords for his company and if Ford doesn't recognize this is their problem we'll start replacing the trucks with another maker. It's unfortunate. I love my Fords (I have a mustang as well) but after this I will probably never get another one.

- , Webster, NH, USA

Oct 102016

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

paint on hood bubbling around perimeter

Car is less than 3 years old - I would like to file a lawsuit - FORD refuses to fix even though this a known issue and has been for YEARS!! They should recall and fix if there are issues.

- , Hillsborough, NC, USA

Jul 112016

3 years old and only 16500 miles. What a Bummer. And Ford couldn't care less

- , Dedham, MA, USA

Apr 012015

Explorer Limited V8

paint on hood bubbling around perimeter

I HAVE OWNED 8 FORDS OVER THE LAST 22 YEARS!!!! Now they want nothing to do with me or the problems they have caused me with their defective hood and paint!!! Never again will I be fooled into buying a ford.

- , Chapin, SC, USA

Nov 152015

Explorer Limited V6

Can't believe that Ford will not recall this problem

- , Chokio, MN, USA

Mar 142016

Explorer XLT V6

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT ( a $30 some thousand dollar vehicle) that has rust under the paint on the hood and 2 rust spots on the back hatch! I have always taken care of my vehicles in order to make them last until I pay it off. I'm to the point that I want to take it back to the dealership and force them to find me another vehicle . I will not continue to pay the almost $500 truck payment until something is done!!

- , Taylor, MI, USA

Nov 012015

3-4 bubble on hood. Its a shame. It is a 2013 Truck

- , South Lyon, MI, USA

Nov 172015

Explorer XLT 3.5L

Took it into my ford dealer to complain, they said it wasn't covered under the ford warrenty and suggested I get a hood defector to cover it up.

- , East Haven, CT, USA

Oct 312015

Explorer Limited V6

I want to add our complaint to the list of so many with the same issue regarding corrosion along the exterior hood on our 2013 Ford Explorer.

After reading over 100 complaints from consumers like ourselves regarding this exact same issue, the reply from Ford is their standard disclaimer of responsibility. Our case, like so many others involves corrosion on the edge of an aluminum hood – which should not happen! Ford has cleverly worded their paint warranty to cover only corrosion with perforation. This is unbelievable as aluminum will not perforate from the corrosion. The paint adhesion will fail, bubble and finally chip/peal. This leaves many consumers like myself with a bad impression of Ford’s commitment to quality. Galvanic corrosion can only be caused by improper preparation of materials and inadequate application of the paint. No car this new should have any issue with corrosion and a reputable manufacturer should honor the claim of so many as it is an obvious default in the product. Ford’s claim to have customer satisfaction as one of its most important objectives is a joke

I have also noted that Ford has been inconsistent in taking care of this problem. They continue to deny claims for this issue and only positively respond when dealers strongly appeal on behalf of the consumer. In this regard, we respectfully asked ourdealer for assistance to take this matter to a higher level at Ford. They need to take responsibility and do the right thing and replace the hood on our car. Absolutely NO reply from the dealer to appeal our case.

This is our first Ford in a number of years and will likely be the last if this is the commitment Ford has regarding building a quality product that they will stand behind. When people ask how do we like our Explorer, the reply will be tainted with dissatisfaction of having a known quality issue not honored by Ford Motors. At this time how can we in good conscience recommend Ford to anyone. We can’t.

This issue should be a recall by Ford, but they continue to deny there is a problem. THIS IS WRONG!....And fellow consumers need to be aware.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 112014

Explorer ES 3.2L

This car's hood began rusting about a year after I bought it brand new at omeara ford in 2012 but like most people I'm busy so I didn't get around to taking it back until about 8 months ago. Even tho I paid for the best extended warranty they refused to pay a dime. What really chaps the cheeks is that they are well aware of the problem and will not even meet me half way with the new hood that is needed. totally arrogant, let them eat cake corp. as many have already stated on this site I will NEVER buy a ford again. This isn't the only problem I've had with this car but its the most egregious.

- , Westminster, CO, USA

Jul 012016

Explorer Limitd

33000 miles. Paint on hood and at the bottom of driver and passenger doors bubbling and rusting. Ford will not pay to repair it. Ford sucks! I have bought Ford vehicles all my life. Think I'll move on now.

- , Waveland, MS, USA