7.0

$1,314.00

1. replace or repaint hood (49 reports)
  2. should be a factory recall (32 reports)
  4. repaint (10 reports)
2013 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jun 012016

Explorer LTD 3.5L V6

I have a '13 Explorer with 85,000 miles and the paint is bubbling and peeling off the front edge like everyone else's. I've seen several on the road just like mine and like everyone else I'm being told it's out of warranty due to the mileage. Yes it's a lot of miles and Ford is going to hide behind it but with the miles I drive it would have been out of warranty before 2013 even ended. That's not a warranty, that's an illusion.

Estimate to repaint is $500.00 but that may be nothing more than a Band-Aid. It looks like the issue is galvanic corrosion, the catalyst of which would have started at the factory before it was ever painted. Therefore if I have it repainted it will probably come right back.

Ford obviously has an issue with these hoods and I think a class action lawsuit is the only way to get Ford to buy new hoods and have them painted.

I've got 3 Fords in the driveway and this will be the last one if Ford doesn't step up and do the right thing.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 012017

Explorer XLT

I feel that Ford should expedite the repair/painting of my vehicle. I do not live in an area that frequently utilizes brine to clear the roads and my car is parked out of the weather. There is no reason for the paint to be bubbling on the hood. My car is only 4 years old and should not be having this problem!

- , Sevierville, TN, US

Jun 252016

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

Just bought vehicle in June. Looked real nice till I got it home and noticed bubbling along front of hood. Also told by dealer, later, out of 3/36000 warranty. This is total BS. If there is a CLASS ACTION SUIT. I wANT IN. lET ME KNOW.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Jun 202017

Explorer Limited 3.2L

Ford needs to own up to this and fix it or this may be the last ford I ever buy

- , SICKLERVILLE, NJ, US

Sep 012015

Explorer XLT V6

As with most Ford's my Explorer has significant paint bubbling on the hood. It is a known problem with Ford's and they never mentioned it to me as an owner. I only noticed it after an unrelated fender bender and the body shop pointed it out to me. My vehicle was already out of warranty by a few thousand miles but clearly the problem did not just occur after they warranty ended but I never though to look at the paint on my hood. If Ford had done the right thing and told owners to look out for this known defect and correct any defective hoods regardless of the warranty, it would have shown some loyalty to its customers. I am done buying Ford's and will advise anyone I know not to but Ford.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 122017

Explorer XLT

Two years ago, I experienced this problem and Ford, through my dealer, covered the repair. I learned that this was a common problem with the Ford 2013 explorer model. Now, I am experiencing the same problem and my dealership/Ford is not willing to cover. Is anyone aware of a class action suit related to this issue?

- , Hagatna, Guam

May 312017

Explorer

Was just washing my car and noticed that the paint has started to bubble up around the rim on the hood of my 2013 Explorer. This car only has 41330 miles on it and I am very particular with my car. I decided to Google to see if anyone else was having the same problem and I was shocked of how many complaints have been sent in and Ford not doing anything about it. I am planning on taking it back to the dealer to see if they will indeed fix the problem. This should be a no brainer on Ford's end to have a recall and to fix the problem for so many people. I will have to have the problem fixed

- , Kingsport, US

Jul 132016

Explorer Limited V6

I also own a 2001 Ford Explorer which has bad paint job on hood and roof rusted. The hood of my 2013 has already started to fail and its only 4 years old!

- , Orlando, FL, US

Nov 102016

Explorer XLT V6

Dealer says they see it all the time. Took pictures and sent them to Ford who said it is not covered. At first it was just one bubbling spot.. now there are several and they are beginning to flake off. It looks terrible!

- , Rolling Meadows, IL, US

Mar 112016

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

Just wondering how the hell they know of this problem and there has been no action yet. I bought the extended warranty and it is still not covered. What the hell is the point of buying the extended warranty if this is not covered

- , Pottstown, PA, US

Sep 052016

Explorer Limited 3.2L

Had the car for 4 years. The paint is blistering on the hood, I took it to the Ford dealer's collision shop. World Ford Pensacola. They said they see this a lot and has been going on for years. The collision estimator said it happened to his father in laws car. He took pictures and sent it in for a warranty claim. My corrosion warranty is for 5 years, unlimited miles.

After several calls to the collision estimator, he finally said that Ford said no the warranty without an explanation. He also said that at the last dealer he worked at Ford would usually cover it. I took it to a local body shop and they said they have seen this problem before and the hood would have to be repainted. There aren't any scratches. The paint is just blistering off the hood.

I can't understand why Ford will not owner there warranty.

- , Gulf Breeze, US

Nov 032016

Explorer XLT

Everything was fine, then one day when I was washing my car, I noticed that the paint was bubbled up along the edge of the hood.

- , Mentor, OH, US

Feb 152016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

A FORD repair shop wants $503.54 to fix this and they know it's a problem from the factory. The paint is bubbling up around the edges of the hood and then chipping off AND Ford won't fix it without charging. Everyone I've talked to tells me it's a problem that Ford knows about with these aluminum hoods and there are MANY complaints online BUT they won't fix problem. GET WITH IT FORD!!! Own up to your mistake and fix these hoods RIGHT!!!

I understand I bought this vehicle used and it's a great vehicle EXCEPT for this one problem. It's beginning to look BAD and everyone that asks me about it says "Why doesn't Ford fix it?" Great question. PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM if you want to continue to have ME as a customer.

- , Wiggins, US

Mar 132017

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter paint on hood bubbling around perimeter

We bought this new and had it Ziebart treated with the paint, corrosion, and interior protection. Two years ago we developed a paint bubble on the rear hatch. I told the Ziebart people and they said it was not an interior rust problem but a paint prep from the factory. They fixed it for $150 and then the following year we got another one. They fixed this one free of charge. I then noticed that the front hood has been bubbling all over the front lip. I have enclosed pictures. This will not be easy to fix. I just bought a new 2016 F150 with all aluminum body. I hope not to have the same problems or I will NOT be another Ford customer. I have only bought Ford products for the past 44 years. I even own Ford stock because of my loyalty.

- , Bucyrus, US

Aug 012016

Explorer XLT 3.2L

I would like to be part of a class action lawsuit if Ford does not fix this issue.

- , Cedar Park, TX, US

Jun 012016

Explorer Limited 3.2L/V6

Paradise Ford Body Shop http://paradiseford.com/ gave me a quote for $1000 plus; even said this is an ongoing issue with the aluminum parts of the hood. I asked if the paint job was guaranteed; she said no. In addition, there is a sporadic exhaust odor when I use the A/C.

I bought car two years ago and I chose Ford because they didn't take the Detroit bailout...very disappointed...

- , Merrit Island, US

Jan 012017

Explorer Sport

Add me to the list of people upset with Ford and their quality of work!

My 2013 Ford Explorer Sport, which is a $45,000 vehicle new, has paint bubbling all around the perimeter of the hood. It's 4 years old. I've had old cars and newer cars, none of them have ever had this problem. My car is garaged, washed every other week at least, and we've only put six thousand miles on it in 10 months of driving.

The Ford dealership was perplexed when we brought the car in. Half the people have never heard of this problem, and the other half (body shop guys) have. I think someone's lying! They know about it!

I can pay either $1800 to replace the hood and get a 2 year warranty, or pay $800 to have it repaired and hope it doesn't come back again. That's quite a bit of money to put into a car that I paid $30,000 for last summer! Ugh, Ford! Thanks for your 25% discount on some of the labor rates. You really know how to take care of customers and stand behind your product. Not.

I should have stayed with Toyota!

- , De Pere, US

Apr 012017

Explorer

Ford needs to stand behind this issue. MANY complaints nation wide.

- , Minier, US

Dec 312014

click to see larger images

I purchased this vehicle new. Around 35-40k miles I noticed paint start to bubble up on the perimeter of the hood. I mentioned it to my service tech at the dealer where I purchased, D-Patrick Ford in Evansville, IN. Service tech said that it was no longer under warranty and they couldn't do anything about it. As mileage increased, the bubbles became more numerous. I mentioned again around 50-55k miles when I had the vehicle in for service. Service tech said again it was no longer under warranty. I now have 66k miles on the vehicle and last night one of the bubbles burst and a huge chunk of paint came off. Drove it into the dealer and was told, sorry you need to call Ford. I called Ford and they will do nothing about it. $45,000 vehicle purchased almost 4 years ago and the paint is coming off and nobody cares.

- , Newburgh, US

Jan 172015

Explorer 3.5L V6

PAINT ON FRONT EDGE OF HOOD STARTED BUBBLING AT ABOUT THE TWO YEAR POINT. After 3 years paint has started coming off exposing corrosion on the metal hood. Currently there are 4 dime sized spots on the hood where the paint has come off. This should be a recall by Ford due the total number of cases submitted across all the different models of cars.

- , Wilmington, US