2013 Ford Explorer brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 052016

I had a complete service performed on my rear brakes due to them dragging and being completely worn in June/2016, less than three months later the passenger side rear break is dragging again and overheating. Since it's been less than three months, I would imagine that corrosion is not the issue.

- Mayfield, OH, USA

Dec 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving various speeds, an exhaust odor emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brakes, wheel bearing, and fuel sending unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, a month later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 022015

Rear brakes seized simultaneously on driver and passenger side. Dealership stated corrosion was the issue. Vehicle was inspected 3 months prior with no mention of corrosion. Seizure caused failure of calipers, pads, rotors, and linings on both sides. Replacement was paid out of pocket, not covered by esp and not backed up by premium maintenance plan.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Dec 302015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a whistling sound. The vehicle was brought to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear brake pads were damaged and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Swamp Cod, MA, USA

Aug 012015

At about 42,000 miles left rear brake locked up while driving. At about 48,000 miles right rear brake started dragging. I replaced rotors, pads and calipers in both cases. I checked slides on both and they are free to travel. In both cases the caliper is stuck. I saved the caliper from the later. This is still an oem part only so I replaced with Ford part. When talking to local dealers techs they say this is a common problem they are seeing in this vehicle. The part number of the caliper has changed from the original number according to the parts tech, he claimed that this usually indicates a change in a design for a problem.

- Caledonia, OH, USA

Nov 132015

My 2013 Explorer has 23190 miles and was bought new and has been serviced at the dealer according to Ford's service plan since new. A few days ago I noticed a grinding noise and burning smell from the rear of my Explorer.the dealer told me that my drivers side rear caliper had seized up and I needed new rear brakes. He said that this was due to road salt, water and debris contaminating the rear brakes. He also told me that this was not warranty covered and my cost was $389.84. I've read in numerous forums that this is a problem on most Explorer like mine. I feel that this could be a safety issue if it happened at highway speeds. Luckily mine happened when I was parking my Explorer. This should be covered under an inspection replacement recall.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA

Dec 092014

Overheating front wheel brakes leading to warped rotors!!!. the 2013 Ford Explorer 3 times since December 2014. Both left and right front brakes overheat the rotors eventially leading to warped rotors and unusual vibration in steering, is more severe at high speed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 092014

2013 Ford Explorer, overheating front brakes on the left and right. I have reported this to lief johnson Ford dealership twice since Dec, 4 2014. Again on June 18,2015. The third time on Sept. 29,2015. Both front brakes overheat causing warped discs, it becomes worst at highway speeds when the brakes are required, emitting vibrations through the steering wheel. Thanks

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 082015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I noticed some deep lines in my rear rotors took to my mechanic he said rotors and pads were bad every now and then I heard a squealing noise but didn't pay much attention to it thinking hey I bought a brand new vehicle its probably because of being brand new I know now that is not the facts there is a problem with the rear brakes locking up and not unlocking it destroyed my rotors due to this remember this vehicle still has front brakes and only 8350 miles garage kept I complained to Ford and they said if a recall would happen save my receipt iam very concerned there hasn't been a recall regarding this matter because this is a problem with the Explorer for many please look into this matter with the utmost consideration thank you

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 122013

At the3200 mileage I experince brake issues rotary had to be replaced.on the first week of July 2015 additional brake work had to be redone.on july10th 2015 while driving the ac unit went out completly while I was driving on a long extended trip barely made it home no air wierd screehin noise. Scheduled to go back to repair7-14-15. I purchase the vehicle July 2014.the vehicle has 36000. Very unhappy at this point thinking about returning the vehicle and starting over with some other vehicle

- Alvaton, KY, USA

Jun 212015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at 75 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The brake pedal was depressed but failed to stop the vehicle. As a result, the contact shifted the vehicle in neutral in order to bring the vehicle to a stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000. The VIN was not available.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Oct 182014

At the time of this incident- I had just left the dealership from having an inspection, oil change, and tire rotation when the brakes on the Explorer locked up. I pulled over to find the rim and tire extremely hot to the touch. I had previously reported the same issue at least twice in prior, but separate incidents. Each time the dealership fixed the issue by cleaning out corrosion and lubricating the caliper. I think that its about time they replaced the caliper- after all its still under warranty.

- Raymond, ME, USA