2013 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 032014

Explorer

During heavy acceleration... for example when I'm entering a highway... really strong smell of engine fumes enter the cabin... every time. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT - very happy with my Ford otherwise.

- Zionsville, PA, USA

Aug 032016

Explorer

There is carbon monoxide in the cabin while stationary and in motion.

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 262016

Explorer

I have 2013 Explorer Sport.. I have exhaust fumes entering the cabin through the vents(HVAC). Well know issues that seems to have no resolve according to Ford. Although they did issue a service bulletin back in 2014. From what I have read it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Many people still have fumes after the "fix".@$700-$850. Warranty does not cover the cost. A classs action law suit has been filed and awaiting for settlement decisions. Carbon monoxide is not something I want to expose my family to on a daily basis. Ford needs to find a fix or a recall need to happen. My dealer is cooperating and will be assessing the issue. But from what I read only one person has had a positive outcome from Ford. I hope this complaint will help push Ford to make a better effort to resolve this major issue.

- Marina, CA, USA

Oct 242016

Explorer

Blinker design is flawed. When pressed lightly, the blinker "blinks" 3 times and turns off. This is ok, but when you want to actually turn your blinker on, you have to apply much more pressure than usual. As a result, I often flash the high beam lights. This has happened on multiple occasions and has made motorists angry with me when, unfortunately this was unintentional. It makes me look like an aggressive driver and all I am trying to do is turn my blinker on. Since I know this is an issue, I am purposely careful and this still occurs way too often. I now consider not using my blinker or just using the one with 3 blinks (which is not sufficient) to avoid accidentally flashing my high beams at the car ahead of me. This should be repaired, as it is not functional and unsafe.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 112016

Explorer

Experiencing strong sulphur smell inside vehicle. (during acceleration and when rear air is on). Drove vehicle all summer with my children riding along and I thought my 8 year old was experiencing car sickness. We would have to pull over because he would get sick to the point of throwing up many times. I just figured it was car sickness because I didn't smell any fumes (it all makes sense now, carbon monooxide is odorless). When riding in our other vehicles, it never happened. He rode 5 hours to the beach and 5 hours home in my husbands 2013 GMC 2500 and didn't get sick once. I took my car to the dealership to have the wheel bearing replaced today (10/11/16). I told them to check the catalytic converters to make sure they weren't plugged because of the odor (the strong odor started yesterday). They call me and tell me there is a tsb *service bulletin" and certain 2011-2015 Explorer have exhaust fumes leaking into the vehicle. It all started to come together. I called Ford and because my 36/36,000 warrenty ended (I have 45,672 miles on it now), there is no coverage. I even purchased the extended Ford plan and they said it won't cover it either. I have to pay them $480 to try to fix it. I've read peoples experiences and their solution to fix it hasn't worked for anyone. I bought a carbon monoxide detector today and when I pick it up tomorrow, I am going to place it in the car where my 8 year old sits and turn the air on. I will also record the results on the detector to see what happens. Extremely disappointed in Ford! they haven't even made anyone aware of this problem and they don't intend too! its a big secret for them because that is one of their best selling vehicles. And good luck getting it covered!

- Everett, PA, USA

Oct 062015

Explorer

Exhaust small after high acceleration lasting about five minutes then diminishing. Setting of the HVAC system seems to be irrelevant, on or off. I previously brought this vehicle to my local Ford dealer approximately a year ago (2015) for this specific exhaust smell issue but they said they couldn't duplicate the issue. This issue has been and continues to occur.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 062016

Explorer

The door ajar light stays on. The door sensor does not work. The interior lights remain illuminated draining the battery. The problem has been ongoing for the past three months. The recall list for Ford on this issue keeps expanding - this week to include Ford edge. Obvious problem with Ford need a recall as dealer will not cover.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jan 012016

Explorer

The "door ajar" lights do not go off for the front passenger and front drivers doors. It appears the doors are shut, but the censors do not go off. Because the censors do not go off, the dome light stays on making it hard to see at night and draining the battery. The doors do not lock making it a safety issue. When the drivers door censor is on, it sets off other alerts like "shift to park" and "engine is on" because it thinks the doors are open and it continuously beeps or alerts me. This has been happening for almost one year. I took it to the dealership and they charged me to clean the latch. They said this had been an issue with other Explorer and sometimes it helps, sometimes it does not. It did not help. I have been dealing with it for almost a year. The dome light stays on even when the keys are not in the ignition. These censors come on when the engine is started, in park, and sometimes randomly while driving.

- Mulvane, KS, USA

Mar 312016

Explorer

Door ajar warning light will not turn off after car has been started. Problem was brought to Ford dealership's attention but would not cover under the 3 year warranty as we missed the cutoff by 2 months. This condition has lasted for 6 months as we continue to hope that a recall notice is issued.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 082016

Explorer

This evening my wife ran a few errands and afterwards literally stumbled into our home because of how dizzy she was. I asked her what was wrong and she said she accelerated quickly to get on a busy city street near our house coming home and she subsequently inhaled an "exhaust/burnt hair" smell from inside the car. She could barely even stand straight. We have 2 small children and the exhaust/gas smell has progressively gotten more and more noticeable when accelerating quickly. We've now had the vehicle 2.5 years approximately. Every time we fill the vehicle up with gas, the fumes linger inside the car for over 24 hours. I'm seriously worried about my family's safety at this point and we're wondering what action to take next since we don't want to continue driving a potentially hazardous vehicle. Unfortunately, we live in a warm state and have to utilize the ac with the windows up almost exclusively.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 082016

Explorer

The door sensor indicates the door is open when in reality it is closed. This causes a warning bell that does not cease and keeps the dome light illuminated. This condition also causes the alarm system to go off resulting at times in a police response. In order to alleviate the problem you must shut the door repeatedly, sometimes a dozen times or more. This also has run the battery down due to the dome lights and accessories staying on. Apart fromt he obvious frustration this problem is potentially dangerous. This is not a one time thing but a chronic and repeated problem that has no real resolution. I see other Ford users are experiencing similar problems with their Ford Explorer.

- Horton, MI, USA

Jul 052016

Explorer

On July 5, 2016 I fell asleep while driving my Explorer in I-495 South of boston at about 1:00 P.M. I read an article about exhaust fumes in the cabin of this model. Wareham Ford said that my car had this problem and referred me to tsb 14-0130 showing that Ford knows of this problem. I was charged $700.72 to correct this dangerous problem. I think Ford should recall these vehicles and pay to fix them. Fortunately, there were no injuries or property damage in my case but that might not be so for the next person.

- Pocasset, MA, USA

Aug 032016

Explorer

When the air conditioner is set to fresh air and not recirculate, exhaust fumes enter the passenger cabin under hard acceleration. This can be reproduced every time by a slow speed of 5 miles and then hard acceleration until speed limit. This then leaves the cabin full of strong exhaust fumes. On long road trips we often have headaches that we believe is caused by this even without hard acceleration.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 102013

Explorer

Since the first week of owning this vehicle, we became aware of a very strong exhaust smell inside the cabin upon hard acceleration. It happens every time. First complained to dealership when I brought in for first oil change and they basically blew me off and claimed they found nothing. That was back in 2013. We have since used a carbon monoxide tester in the vehicle that confirms an issue with levels inside the vehicle. This has occurred repeatedly every time we accelerate hard from the first week we owned the vehicle, to currently. It seems like it might even be getting stronger in smell and lingers longer.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Mar 152016

Explorer

I have taken my 2013 Explorer into the dealer ship twice the first time I took my car in I told them their was some thing wrong with the ideal. When I'm sitting with it idaling it feels like the car wants to die. Did not fix it then was still under warranty. Took it back in a few months later complaining of the same thing the dealership said it was my throttle body it would cost me $450 to fix it. That it should of been done the first time. Second complaint is that when the out side air is off and have the heater/air conditioning on having to accelerate up a hill or anything that requires to step on the gas we get a lot of fumes into the car. Having to roll the down the windows to get the fumes out.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 292016

Explorer

On 7/29/16 as I was driving home (less than a ten miles) after washing my vehicle a warning light with a wrench came on and I loss acceleration vehicle went from 50 mph to 5 mph unsure due speedometer becoming inoperative I pulled over into a shopping center stopped engine and restarted it again I then put the vehicle in drive at which time I had acceleration again at which time I continued home arrived and parked the vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 182016

Explorer

For 2 years now I have been smelling fumes in my car, but unable to pin point the smell. After taking to the dealership they said I'm smelling exhaust fumes. This is not covered under warranty or even extended warranty purchased, even though our safety is at risk inhaling carbon monoxide. My 5 children are constantly complaining of headaches, as I have had. I wasn't ever able to determine the cause, but am coming to the conclusion that this is the cause. Ford is under investigation, and needs to make this right with the consumers.

- Miller, MO, USA

Jul 052016

Explorer

Bought a used Ford explore XLT with 32K miles. As I have been driving the SUV I am noticing that whenever I fully press down on the gas peddle to increase my acceleration whether I am merging onto the freeway, changing lanes or scaling a hill, the cabin is filled with a strong emissions odor. Which worries me because I normally have children in the vehicle. As I let up on the gas peddle the odor dissipates. I have noticed this odor when I have my max A/C function on which is using recirculated air.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 162016

Explorer

Strong sulfur smell in cabin of vehicle after moderate to heavy acceleration. Ex: accelerating to merge with traffic on a freeway on ramp. The smell generally comes through after sustained acceleration with engine RPM over 4000 and seems to be originating from the rear of the vehicle.

- Watertown, WI, USA

May 202016

Explorer

When accelerating exhaust fumes enter the cabin of the vehicle. The smell is worse in the backseat of the vehicle than the front. This explains the headaches and nausea my daughter experiences on our way to childrens hospital in pittsburgh! 😡 and the front passengers headaches. My vehicle has 49,000 miles on it. I'm furious and outraged that Ford doesn't care to fix this, especially with all the complaints and awareness of the problem. I will be doing a carbon monoxide test tomorrow; borrowing a tester from the fire depart.

- Kane, PA, USA