4.7

2014 Ford Explorer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Explorer

Drivers door ajar light stays on. Took to Ford dealer, was told that fmco requires they clean contacts first, before replacing. This was done and solved the problem for a while. I took back to dealer when problem started again. Now they say the door latch is broken and want $366 to fix it, and they have to order the part. This is an ongoing problem with Ford products and they have in fact recalled several models. I was given the impression to start with that if the contact cleaning procedure didn't work then it would be replaced. Now they want to charge for this.

- Bluefield, VA, USA

Jun 062016

Explorer

The driver door continues to sound alarm of door ajar, slam the door and still the same, very annoying when driving because it won't stop

- Elmira, MI, USA

Apr 262016

Explorer

I bought a certitified preowned 2014 Ford Explorer in February 2015. Recently every time the Explorer was put in park, an alert would go off, showing transmission not in park. The past few weeks the steering wheel would make a grinding/growling noise when turning towards the left and right. The steering became a little harder to turn and it felt as if it would stick. This was a very scary feeling. I have 5 children and didn't want them in this car. I took the car to the dealership 2 days ago and found out that my electric steering system was locked, the gear shift assembly needed replacing and also a new belt. Total cost $2,309.30. I was devastated. We do not have that kind of money laying around. I called the Ford manufacturer and they gave me a case number to give to the dealership. After speaking with the dealership and giving the case number, they called back later and stated they would give me a $300 discount. Therefore at this time, I had to take a $1500 loan out for the electrical power steering replacement and belt. I will have to go without the gear shift assembly being repaired until we can afford it. My total without replacing the gear shift assembly is $1696.30. After researching the issue, this is nothing new with the Ford Explorer. There were several recalls for the same issue for the 2011 through 2013 models. My 2014 Ford Explorer has a 100,000 mile power train warranty but of course none of this was covered. I am saving my receipts in hopes Ford will do the right thing. If they do not, I will never purchase another Ford. This issues has put my family in danger and in further debt.

- Thicket, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Explorer

My used 2014 Explorer Sport that was bought in October of 2014 with less than 8000 miles keeps telling me the transmission is not in park when it clearly is. This use to happen on occasion but now it is constant. I have also had problems with the instrument panel on dashboard just going black when driving. It really doesn't have to be any speed. This has happened several times and it can be kind of scary especially when driving on freeway in heavy traffic. My windshield wiper blades (less than a year old) act like the are going to fly off the car when turned on. The wipers just don't seem like they are attached right. But they are and I have replaced them with Ford recommended parts more than once. The most annoying problem with the car is the exhaust smell that is always there. I thought is was just me being overly sensitive to odors. But I noticed others complaining of the odor as well. The odor comes all the time. There really is not distinct RPM when it happens it is just always there. I have not taken my car in for repairs due to a previous bad experience with a different vehicle. I can handle all the problems with the car but the exhaust smell is so bad and gives me a headache if I'm in the car to long.

- Heath, TX, USA

Jul 092015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving 35 mph, an exhaust odor emitted into the vehicle through the front and rear air vents during acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the muffler was replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. In addition, the instrument panel failed to illuminate while driving 20 mph. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road and the gear shifter seized. The contact restarted the vehicle and drove home. Once the contact arrived at home, the vehicle lost power, the alarm and horn sounded, and the tailgate opened. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the gear shifter was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 24,191. Updated 05/03/16

- Obrien, FL, USA

Aug 292015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle stalled and the low oil pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted several times and the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air flow sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000. MA 10/6 updated 12/21/15.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Jun 172015

Explorer

When applying full braking at a stop sign or red light the vehicle stops but the engine and transmission continue to race at full speed. The brake pulsates like the anti lock braking system is engaged. In order to get the vehicle back to normal the engine must be shut off or the transmission disengaged. It will then start up normally. We have had 11 occasions within the past 2 months where this has occurred, this has occurred when coming down from highway long distance driving and it has also happened on a parking lot very low speed. It is all I could do to press hard enough on the brakes to stop. The vehicle has been returned to the dealership, their diagnostics show nothing and the dealership states they must be able to experience the problem first (duplicate it). Ford Motor Company has been called the regional sales manager told me to take the vehicle to another Ford dealership to have them look at it. Mr. Mchale the manager at fmc (866-631-3788 ext. 77713) assigned a case number 7644437 to the problem but he also stated that they would have to duplicate the problem before it could be resolved. I told him if I misjudge or am unable to bring the vehicle to a stop that I may be pushing up daisies. They do not seem to understand the severity of the problem. It would seem to me that a mechanic would look for a sensor or switch that would disengage the trans mission when the brake was applied or a sensor or control that slows the engine. I am getting to the point I fear for my life driving this vehicle until it is repaired. I also mentioned that when I turn the vehicle off during the incident there is a lot of clunking from the engine and transmission, I am sure damage has been done to them.

- Church Hill, MD, USA

Jun 232015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While the vehicle was parked and attempting to open the front passenger and driver side windows, both windows began to vibrate causing the vehicle to shake without warning. The failure recurred each time the windows were opened. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

May 302014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2014 Explorer Sport I encountered a few problems with this truck, when I step on the gas to enter on to the freeway it got confused and did not no what to do. Seems like it wanted to stall and then speed up violently. When I finally got up to speed it smelled like it farted, also my radio volume shuts off, I have to stop the car and turn it off, then start it and the volume comes back on. Bring back the V8 please.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 232014

Explorer 6-cyl

Vehicle stopped to let passengers off. Stopped engine. Restarted the engine, started to pull away from curve and power steering failed and received steering assist fault alarm. Vehicle was subsequently driven with no power steering. Also, noted the following: Terrain management fault, service advanced track. Another related failure is that the signal lights no longer would stay on when initiated creating an additional safety issue. Took vehicle to Ford shop and they stated that the power steering gear would have to be replaced. They reported that they had one on order and would be available for installation in 3-weeks. Upon searching the web, found that Ford has had this, or similar problems with 2011-2013 power steering and has just issued a recall for 2011-2013 vehicles. Had this failure happened during a U-turn or a front tire failure at highway speed, it would likely have ended up with a serious accident. In addition, this is a vehicle designed to go off-road. If a failure of this type occurred off road, serious damage to the vehicle or occupant injury could occur. This is a serious issue that, on the surface, appears to have been going on for several years.

- Tamuning, GU, USA

Dec 182013

Explorer 6-cyl

The instrument cluster lcd display screens to the left and right of the speedometer malfunction. They will randomly turn off for approximately 5-60 seconds while driving. The flashing screens can be a great distraction while driving during the day and especially at night.

- Great Meadows, NJ, USA

Jul 202013

Explorer 6-cyl

Purchased 2014 Ford Explorer July 20, 2014 - July 26,2014 - I was pulling away from drive thru pharmacy and my dash lights went black. Took my vehicle into service the next morning - they could not find anything wrong. My vehicle has been back 6 more times. Once again for loosing all dash lights driving down the road - since then, my lighting in my vehicle does not light up as it use to. Sometimes my dash lights come on when opening the driver door, sometimes they do not - sometimes my lcd screen will light up, sometimes it does not. The dealership has replaced the instrument cluster once, but I feel there is still an issue. It all my dash lights lit up for the first 6 days of owning the vehicle, why would they not all light up now after the incident of losing the dash lights"?" I have asked for a replacement vehicle - as after speaking with an attorney I have a lemon law claim, a safety claim, and a warranty claim. If my vehicle does not get replaced or some money back from Ford - as I have drove my car for 13 full days out of a month - I will be taking this to court as I can only see further issues down the road.

- Delta, OH, USA