2014 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 152014

Strong odor of exhaust fumes entering the cabin when accelerating. Very concerned with diver and passengers safety. This has been occurring since it was new. I took it to the dealer over a year ago and they performed a repair that did not resolve the issue. They then told me Ford was working on a fix and someone would contact me. I have yet to be contact and very concerned with constant exposure to the exhaust fumes. The need to take this seriously and give it a priority to fix this problem as I see there is a lot of people complaining of the same issue.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 282016

There is an overbearing almost intoxicating sulfur/rotten egg smell coming in the cabin of the car any time accelerating. I got this vehicle new in 2014 and it has been doing it since day one. At first I wrote it off as new car or possibly the turbo. But now after reading the thousands others with same problem I am extremely concerned for my family's well being. I have been driving my infant in this car for two years and I am very upset that I could have put her health at risk.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 132015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. When the air conditioner circulation mode was activated or when the accelerator pedal was depressed, exhaust fumes emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,900. The VIN was not available.

- Union, MO, USA

Mar 102015

Problem with gas leak go to the interior of the card.

- Juncos, PR, USA

Jul 182016

We have a 2014 Ford Explorer that has a smell inside while accelerating. We have taken it to the dealer to have the problem corrected. Our concern is that exhaust has been coming into the vehicle. We aren't sure if the current solutions in place to fix the vehicle are enough. Well knowing and our family is getting sick from this current issue we just aren't sure what we're breathing inside the vehicle is safe. The smell comes when you accelerate hard either towing or merging onto the highway or even from a red light. The smell is a sulfur smell or rotten egg smell that seems to dissipate quickly but is noticeable.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jul 252016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving various speeds, the steering became difficult to operate. There were no warning indicators illuminated. In addition, there were exhaust fumes inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 81,590.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Jul 082016

Exhaust smell in main cabin when rpms exceed 3200. Happens most commonly when climbing a steep grade or accelerating onto a freeway to merge with traffic. This has been occurring for past two years or so, it can smell like exhaust, burning hair, etc. Complaints to dealer are given a cursory explanation of excess fuel, it is normal and nothing can be done. I've owned many vehicles over the years and never experienced this. This happens every time there is a higher level of acceleration or rpms exceeding 3200.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 272016

I have frequently experienced a strong smell of exhaust and/or burning oil in the passenger compartment. This often occurs when the A/C is running and/or under heavy acceleration or climbing steep grades. I had mentioned this a few times to 2 local Ford dealerships and was advised by one that they are aware of possible issues involving a chemical or "propane" smell, but not exhaust fumes. The other had no knowledge that this was a frequent occurrence.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jun 072014

When accelerating to pass another vehicle, the cab of my vehicle fills with exhaust fumes. This vehicle has been brought to the dealership for service regarding this issue. The dealership was unable to solve the problem. They also claim that Ford does not know how to solve this problem. I was only told to keep checking back with them to see if a solution to this issue has become available.

- Jeanerette, LA, USA

May 242016

While driving our 2014 Ford Explorer XLT, we have noticed a strong gas odor inside the vehicle. This occurs when the air conditioning is in recirculation mode while driving and idling at a stoplight. This has happened intermittenlty during the past year.

- Alpine, CA, USA

Jul 052016

Every time you step on the gas a little more than normal, ie going up a hill and getting up to speed, the interior of the car fills up with exhaust/ burning oil smell and is quite disorienting. I dont know if there is an area that does not have a filter or if it so potent that the cabin air filter cant filter it all out.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 012015

I recently read an article in the regarding complaints to the NHTSA associated to the Ford Explorer and fume smells coming from the engine and/or exhaust into the cab of the car creating a hazard type situation for the drivers. I would also like to file a complaint to be added to the other existing complaints with the nhsta regarding this issue. I purchased a new 2014 Ford Explorer from the hansel Ford dealership in petaluma. Within a few months I became aware of a fume type odor within the cab if the vehicle. I contacted the dealership and started trying to identify and resolve the issue. The fumes were causing dizziness and nausea on long drives. Passengers also complained of the fume odor. After several attempts to the service department with the car out of service and many months there was no solution. Unsatisfied I decided to file a complaint with the better business bureau in 2014 for the fume smell along with some unrelated issues. I was forwarded to arbitration where it was judged by the arbitrator that no action was to be taken. I currently still own the Ford Explorer and experience fume smells. As mentioned above I would also like to file a complaint in regard to this fume issue. I can provided supporting documentation if needed. Please contact me directly. Thank you.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Jun 032016

We smell exhaust gas when the car is in full throttle, like when climbing a steep road or merging into freeway ramps, or just any sort of hard(ish) acceleration. Odor is also detected when the air conditioner was in recirculation mode. This has been going on since we bought the vehicle.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Oct 292015

Experiencing very strong exhaust / sulfur smell in cabin area upon medium to hard acceleration. Bought car in spring of 2014 and noticed it within the first month or two. At first I thought it might have been a car in front of me, but that is not the case as I have experienced this numerous times this with no one else on the road. It occurs when you pass someone or go up a steep incline. When towing my boat the smell is unbearable and you have to have the windows rolled down, but even with that it takes a long time to get the smell out of the cabin. Situation occurs with the fresh air vents on and/or the recirc air on ¿ vent setting doesn¿T matter. I¿ve been putting off getting this looked at since it sounds like there is no definitive fix, but since the car now has 29,000 miles on it, I want it to get checked out before warranty is up. It is alarming that with all the complaints for this hazardous/deadly situation that there has not been a recall for a better fix than the tsb.

- Wadsworth, IL, USA

Aug 292015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle stalled and the low oil pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted several times and the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air flow sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000. MA 10/6 updated 12/21/15.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Oct 012014

A few months after purchasing our 2014 Explorer, we noticed an exhaust/sulfur order in the passenger compartment following a medium acceleration entering an interstate highway. We reported the odor to the dealership and turned the vehicle in for repair. Dealership was unable to recreate the order so nothing was done. A few months later, under similar circumstances, the odor returned. Once again, we turned the vehicle in for repair. The dealer performed a repair based on a tsb. A few months later, the odor returned and once again turned the vehicle in for repair. The dealer performed a continuation of the same tsb. A few months later, while pulling a boat, the odor returned. Once again, we turned the vehicle in for repair. The dealer owner and the service tech drove the vehicle for several days and were unable to detect the smell. The very next day while pulling the boat, the odor returned. The dealer now says they don't want to perform the last part of the tsb because if they send Ford a part that's not defective, Ford will charge them back for the part....meanwhile I'm stuck driving a vehicle that may be putting sulfur and/or carbon monoxide into the passenger compartment. The dealer wants me to bring my boat and vehicle in so they can test it which isn't going to happen because if they wreck the vehicle with the boat, my insurance has to cover it through the permissive use clause and my rates will go up.

- Covington, IN, USA

Jun 172015

When applying full braking at a stop sign or red light the vehicle stops but the engine and transmission continue to race at full speed. The brake pulsates like the anti lock braking system is engaged. In order to get the vehicle back to normal the engine must be shut off or the transmission disengaged. It will then start up normally. We have had 11 occasions within the past 2 months where this has occurred, this has occurred when coming down from highway long distance driving and it has also happened on a parking lot very low speed. It is all I could do to press hard enough on the brakes to stop. The vehicle has been returned to the dealership, their diagnostics show nothing and the dealership states they must be able to experience the problem first (duplicate it). Ford Motor Company has been called the regional sales manager told me to take the vehicle to another Ford dealership to have them look at it. Mr. Mchale the manager at fmc (866-631-3788 ext. 77713) assigned a case number 7644437 to the problem but he also stated that they would have to duplicate the problem before it could be resolved. I told him if I misjudge or am unable to bring the vehicle to a stop that I may be pushing up daisies. They do not seem to understand the severity of the problem. It would seem to me that a mechanic would look for a sensor or switch that would disengage the trans mission when the brake was applied or a sensor or control that slows the engine. I am getting to the point I fear for my life driving this vehicle until it is repaired. I also mentioned that when I turn the vehicle off during the incident there is a lot of clunking from the engine and transmission, I am sure damage has been done to them.

- Church Hill, MD, USA

Jan 052014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

A sulfur smelling stench coming through the ventilation system when driving over a high RPM rate. The smell enters the cabin even with the ac turned on and also when recirculation is turned on. I have reported to the dealer and they found nothing wrong.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Oct 162014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Twice while driving (once accelerating to pull into traffic and once going up a mountain) an exhaust smell entered the cabin through the ac system and recirculating mode did not improve it. The vehicle was accelerating over 3500 rpms. I have tested this again and again and it happens every time under these conditions. I am very concerned as we just bought this vehicle a couple of months ago and have two young daughters. I will be taking it to our local dealership but based on these complaints I am not hopefull this will be resolved.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 312013

Explorer 6-cyl

When accelerating to pass a dangerous truck (58 mph) strong fumes comes inside the cabin, acceleration took 8 seconds, instantly we start coughing and get watery eyes, our year old baby start crying showing symptoms of distress, we tell this to sales person, which quickly told us the story that this happens with new cars.. supposedly new engines should not be highly accelerated. Naively we believe this and decide to give it a few days?¦ day become months and problem got worst, after few months we decide to take the car in for service, unfortunately Ford from first day treat us like if we were inventing the matter, and make my wife look like if she were crazy, the worst part is that they know that car has the defect as previous generations has the same problem(fordtechnical bulletin confirm this ).we continue to follow the regular procedure and went to the dealership asking them to fix the problem, they only show they were clueless about it and after more than seven times leaving the car there they say there"?S nothing they can do about it. We contact Ford manufacturer directly, which make us go through a long process of verifying back and forward, and at the end an ??engineer?? send especially directly from Ford to the dealership tell us practically that just don?"T accelerate to avoid this !!!!.we took the car to specialist that measured co with a professional tool that show more than 140 part per million!!!!!.this is serious problem that Ford should be responsible for it, my family has been sick with flue like symptoms for a long time, my wife experienced a very long lasting cough that only start getting better after forcefully I have to get her another car as I could no longer expose my family to more of this dangers. I request to Ford to replace the car and they denied my request I believe NHTSA should step up on to this and protect the consumers, thanks

- Hialeah, FL, USA