2014 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 112016

Explorer

Strong exhaust odor under heavy acceleration.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Sep 152016

Explorer

Unsafe C02 levels in cabin, bad odors, while driving vehicle while A/C on.

- Clinton, LA, USA

Oct 242016

Explorer

When the vehicle is accelerated, a very strong odor of exhaust comes from the air conditioner. I had a representative with me and they noticed the odor too. This happens no matter what road you are driving on.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Jun 092016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the service engine and terrain management system fault warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to shift properly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000...updated 11/17/16

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Oct 112016

Explorer

In June 6/2016, my was was going 35mph, approaching an intersection when the wrench light followed by the "terrain management fault" warning came on. The vehicle lost all power. Traffic coming from her right received the green light and she was nearly killed by a driver who drove through the light, timing it for when it turned green. The vehicle spent 14.5 days at the palm bay Ford dealership in palm bay Florida were it was purchased new. Ford diagnosed the problem as a defective throttle body. I went online and saw the number of these throttle body failures and contacted the Ford customer service hotline. I explained to them I felt the vehicle was unsafe, that I had no confidence in the vehicle, and that if there had been no design change to the throttle body it would happen again. I was given a case number (which has now been closed), and notes of my concerns were made on the case. On 10/11/2016 I at 1530 edt, I was pulling out of a gas station turning right, with traffic approaching from my left. The wrench light came on followed by the "terrain management system fault" alert. The vehicle lost all power (throttle response) and the approaching traffic had to lock up their brakes to avoid a broadside collision!. I had my wife, 10yr old daughter and 12yr old son in the vehicle with me. Had a collision occurred my son would have been seriously injured. The vehicle went back to the palm bay Ford service department 10/12/2016 at 0900 edt. The throttle body had failed again as predicted, the vehicle is still there. I have contacted the Ford customer service hotline and received two case numbers now. 1: cas-10814941-Q8T7Z5, 2: cas-10830198. I tried to get Ford to take the car back and trade in on a new one as this is an "unsafe"vehicle. They will not help us and this throttle body issue is an epidemic! I am sure there has been lose of life from these "unsafe" vehicles?

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Oct 152014

Explorer

Strong odor of exhaust fumes entering the cabin when accelerating. Very concerned with diver and passengers safety. This has been occurring since it was new. I took it to the dealer over a year ago and they performed a repair that did not resolve the issue. They then told me Ford was working on a fix and someone would contact me. I have yet to be contact and very concerned with constant exposure to the exhaust fumes. The need to take this seriously and give it a priority to fix this problem as I see there is a lot of people complaining of the same issue.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 282016

Explorer

There is an overbearing almost intoxicating sulfur/rotten egg smell coming in the cabin of the car any time accelerating. I got this vehicle new in 2014 and it has been doing it since day one. At first I wrote it off as new car or possibly the turbo. But now after reading the thousands others with same problem I am extremely concerned for my family's well being. I have been driving my infant in this car for two years and I am very upset that I could have put her health at risk.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 132015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. When the air conditioner circulation mode was activated or when the accelerator pedal was depressed, exhaust fumes emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,900. The VIN was not available.

- Union, MO, USA

Mar 102015

Explorer

Problem with gas leak go to the interior of the card.

- Juncos, PR, USA

Jul 182016

Explorer

We have a 2014 Ford Explorer that has a smell inside while accelerating. We have taken it to the dealer to have the problem corrected. Our concern is that exhaust has been coming into the vehicle. We aren't sure if the current solutions in place to fix the vehicle are enough. Well knowing and our family is getting sick from this current issue we just aren't sure what we're breathing inside the vehicle is safe. The smell comes when you accelerate hard either towing or merging onto the highway or even from a red light. The smell is a sulfur smell or rotten egg smell that seems to dissipate quickly but is noticeable.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jul 252016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving various speeds, the steering became difficult to operate. There were no warning indicators illuminated. In addition, there were exhaust fumes inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 81,590.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Jul 082016

Explorer

Exhaust smell in main cabin when rpms exceed 3200. Happens most commonly when climbing a steep grade or accelerating onto a freeway to merge with traffic. This has been occurring for past two years or so, it can smell like exhaust, burning hair, etc. Complaints to dealer are given a cursory explanation of excess fuel, it is normal and nothing can be done. I've owned many vehicles over the years and never experienced this. This happens every time there is a higher level of acceleration or rpms exceeding 3200.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 272016

Explorer

I have frequently experienced a strong smell of exhaust and/or burning oil in the passenger compartment. This often occurs when the A/C is running and/or under heavy acceleration or climbing steep grades. I had mentioned this a few times to 2 local Ford dealerships and was advised by one that they are aware of possible issues involving a chemical or "propane" smell, but not exhaust fumes. The other had no knowledge that this was a frequent occurrence.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jun 072014

Explorer

When accelerating to pass another vehicle, the cab of my vehicle fills with exhaust fumes. This vehicle has been brought to the dealership for service regarding this issue. The dealership was unable to solve the problem. They also claim that Ford does not know how to solve this problem. I was only told to keep checking back with them to see if a solution to this issue has become available.

- Jeanerette, LA, USA

May 242016

Explorer

While driving our 2014 Ford Explorer XLT, we have noticed a strong gas odor inside the vehicle. This occurs when the air conditioning is in recirculation mode while driving and idling at a stoplight. This has happened intermittenlty during the past year.

- Alpine, CA, USA

Jul 052016

Explorer

Every time you step on the gas a little more than normal, ie going up a hill and getting up to speed, the interior of the car fills up with exhaust/ burning oil smell and is quite disorienting. I dont know if there is an area that does not have a filter or if it so potent that the cabin air filter cant filter it all out.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Explorer

I recently read an article in the sfgate.com regarding complaints to the NHTSA associated to the Ford Explorer and fume smells coming from the engine and/or exhaust into the cab of the car creating a hazard type situation for the drivers. I would also like to file a complaint to be added to the other existing complaints with the nhsta regarding this issue. I purchased a new 2014 Ford Explorer from the hansel Ford dealership in petaluma. Within a few months I became aware of a fume type odor within the cab if the vehicle. I contacted the dealership and started trying to identify and resolve the issue. The fumes were causing dizziness and nausea on long drives. Passengers also complained of the fume odor. After several attempts to the service department with the car out of service and many months there was no solution. Unsatisfied I decided to file a complaint with the better business bureau in 2014 for the fume smell along with some unrelated issues. I was forwarded to arbitration where it was judged by the arbitrator that no action was to be taken. I currently still own the Ford Explorer and experience fume smells. As mentioned above I would also like to file a complaint in regard to this fume issue. I can provided supporting documentation if needed. Please contact me directly. Thank you.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Explorer

We smell exhaust gas when the car is in full throttle, like when climbing a steep road or merging into freeway ramps, or just any sort of hard(ish) acceleration. Odor is also detected when the air conditioner was in recirculation mode. This has been going on since we bought the vehicle.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Oct 292015

Explorer

Experiencing very strong exhaust / sulfur smell in cabin area upon medium to hard acceleration. Bought car in spring of 2014 and noticed it within the first month or two. At first I thought it might have been a car in front of me, but that is not the case as I have experienced this numerous times this with no one else on the road. It occurs when you pass someone or go up a steep incline. When towing my boat the smell is unbearable and you have to have the windows rolled down, but even with that it takes a long time to get the smell out of the cabin. Situation occurs with the fresh air vents on and/or the recirc air on ż vent setting doesnżT matter. Iżve been putting off getting this looked at since it sounds like there is no definitive fix, but since the car now has 29,000 miles on it, I want it to get checked out before warranty is up. It is alarming that with all the complaints for this hazardous/deadly situation that there has not been a recall for a better fix than the tsb.

- Wadsworth, IL, USA

Aug 292015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle stalled and the low oil pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted several times and the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air flow sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000. MA 10/6 updated 12/21/15.

- Missoula, MT, USA