2014 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 112015

Explorer

The contact owned a 2014 Ford Explorer. While reversing at approximately 10 mph on an incline, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. As a result, the vehicle accelerated and the contact crashed into a tree. The contact sustained a fractured back and hand injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,185.

- Independence, IA, USA

Jun 232014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

About 20-30 seconds after hard acceleration the cabin fills up with the sulfur smell from the catalytic converter. Have had it back to the dealer to perform the tsb but now it seems to be even worse. They have told me that the factory will contact me when they find a solution to the problem however no-one ever has. I cannot safely drive the car like this. The stench is overpowering.

- Fairview, TX, USA

Oct 162014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Twice while driving (once accelerating to pull into traffic and once going up a mountain) an exhaust smell entered the cabin through the ac system and recirculating mode did not improve it. The vehicle was accelerating over 3500 rpms. I have tested this again and again and it happens every time under these conditions. I am very concerned as we just bought this vehicle a couple of months ago and have two young daughters. I will be taking it to our local dealership but based on these complaints I am not hopefull this will be resolved.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 312013

Explorer 6-cyl

When accelerating to pass a dangerous truck (58 mph) strong fumes comes inside the cabin, acceleration took 8 seconds, instantly we start coughing and get watery eyes, our year old baby start crying showing symptoms of distress, we tell this to sales person, which quickly told us the story that this happens with new cars.. supposedly new engines should not be highly accelerated. Naively we believe this and decide to give it a few days? day become months and problem got worst, after few months we decide to take the car in for service, unfortunately Ford from first day treat us like if we were inventing the matter, and make my wife look like if she were crazy, the worst part is that they know that car has the defect as previous generations has the same problem(fordtechnical bulletin confirm this ).we continue to follow the regular procedure and went to the dealership asking them to fix the problem, they only show they were clueless about it and after more than seven times leaving the car there they say there"?S nothing they can do about it. We contact Ford manufacturer directly, which make us go through a long process of verifying back and forward, and at the end an ??engineer?? send especially directly from Ford to the dealership tell us practically that just don?"T accelerate to avoid this !!!!.we took the car to specialist that measured co with a professional tool that show more than 140 part per million!!!!!.this is serious problem that Ford should be responsible for it, my family has been sick with flue like symptoms for a long time, my wife experienced a very long lasting cough that only start getting better after forcefully I have to get her another car as I could no longer expose my family to more of this dangers. I request to Ford to replace the car and they denied my request I believe NHTSA should step up on to this and protect the consumers, thanks

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Sep 082014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Exhaust smell in vehicle when accelerating at speeds above 70mph.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Explorer

I rented a nearly new Ford Explorer limited AWD in milwaukee, wi. I had been considering purchasing this model so I was pleased to be able to drive one for a few days. Every time I accelerated hard (wot) the cabin would fill with exhaust fumes. This occurred even with the ac in recirculate mode and without any other vehicles nearby that would have produced the odor. It was strong enough that we opened the windows to get fresh air. After the 2nd time of this occurring, I did not accelerate hard again as to avoid the problem. I also test drove a brand new 2014 ecoboost AWD model this weekend and it did the same thing. I will not be purchasing this model but wanted to add my experience to the database as I feel that Ford needs to fix this problem for owners of these vehicles. It is a shame, it was a nice vehicle otherwise.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 112014

Explorer

When accelerating or doing freeway speeds the smell of exhaust circulates throughout the car. It is so bad that we have to roll down all the windows. This has caused drowsiness, headaches and our young granddaughter to have an asthma attack. The vehicle has been taken to 2 different dealerships numerous times and they both say that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and that the smell is not abnormal. They claim that the car is not broken in yet and that the catalytic converter needs to burn off.

- Arcadia, CA, USA

Sep 072014

Explorer

Upon acceleration the cabin smelled of exhaust fumes, it happens almost everyday and causes light headedness when driving. When getting up to speed on the highway the cabin fills with exhaust.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Jul 012014

Explorer 6-cyl

At first the only time we would notice exhaust entering the cabin was after hard acceleration. Now it seems that a lower speeds exhaust is entering regardless of acceleration levels on an intermittent basis.

- Fredonia, KS, USA

Jul 012014

Explorer 6-cyl

Strong exhaust smell anytime engine accelerates, such as downshifting when going over an overpass on an interstate highway. Not "hard" acceleration really. I have researched, and know this a common problem, and has been since the "5th gen" Explorer came out. I know it has been brought to the attention of NHTSA, and I am just registering my complaint hoping you can get the problem resolved. Thank you.

- Goliad, TX, USA

Jul 032014

Explorer 6-cyl

My transmission would not shift gears. This is the fourth time this has happened. As soon as I put in drive the vehicle did run but would not shift...I was stuck on a mountain road unable to pull over and my RPM's were pegging without my transmission shifting into 2nd gear. I almost got rear ended. I was only able to go like 15 miles per hour, my car started smelling like it was burning and the engine was stressed. When I was able to finally pull over I had to put the car in park turn it off, turn it back on and then it worked fine. Again this is the fourth time this has happened. I called the Ford dealer, for the fourth time and they said I could bring it in but if it didn't act the same way with them there isn't much they can do. Not the answer I wanted. I have a neighbor who has the same vehicle and it has also happened to her. There is obviously a systemic problem here.

- Tijeras, NM, USA

Mar 012014

Explorer 6-cyl

Under hard acceleration, when trying to merge with interstate traffic for example, the cabin is filled with a smell of burning oil and/or exhaust. This has been noticeable since the vehicle was purchased new (picked up with < 50 miles on the odometer) and has not gotten better after 4900 miles.

- Powell, TN, USA

Jun 202014

Explorer

When accelerating the cabin of my Ford Explorer fills up with exhaust.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 092014

Explorer

Every time the SUV is accelerating over 3.4K rpms for a duration of greater than 3-5 seconds, the ac system fills the cabin with nauseating gas. The smell has changed over the course of ownership from burnt hair smell, now to a exhaust, rotten egg/carbon smell. Occurs with ac system off, or on independent of fresh air or recirculate mode. Smell lingers for minutes afterwards. Taken to dealer but unable to replicate problem. Also, they said that the tsb for the issue did not apply to 2014 models. I am very concerned that exhaust (co) is entering the vehicle at hazardous levels.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 052014

Explorer 6-cyl

Exhaust gas is getting into the cabin when the car accelerates over 3200 to 3500 RPM. Ford says that the gas is not exhaust gas, but a strong order that is not harmful. They will not tell us what chemical the order is. When I drove the car I was experiencing asthma and heart palpitations. The dealership found that it had the 2013 Explorer parts in it and changed them out per the tsb 12-12-4. it still did not help. Another post said that they did use a monitor in their car and it was exhaust. When we pass a car or farm machinery or enter onto a freeway, the exhaust smell is suffocating when it enters the car cabin. My fear is that the exhaust could be coming into the cabin all the time, but we can't smell it until it gets to a concentrated level. Ford said that the engineers are working on it. So I have purchased a $45,000 vehicle that I can't drive.

- Palacios, TX, USA