2014 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 022014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bearing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed it into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The rear passenger sustained a busted lip that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 7,000.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Feb 192011

Explorer 6-cyl

First incident: Parked car at gas station fuel pump, when we got in to move the car it did not have power steering. Wrestled the car to the front of the gas store and went inside, when we returned to the car and started it, the power steering worked. Second incident: July 18,2014, same thing happened after a stop at a store. Power steering completely out advance track light stays on. Had to get towed. Fix took four week work days. The invoice says eb5Z*3504 gear asm-steering was replaced.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

May 232014

Explorer 6-cyl

Vehicle stopped to let passengers off. Stopped engine. Restarted the engine, started to pull away from curve and power steering failed and received steering assist fault alarm. Vehicle was subsequently driven with no power steering. Also, noted the following: Terrain management fault, service advanced track. Another related failure is that the signal lights no longer would stay on when initiated creating an additional safety issue. Took vehicle to Ford shop and they stated that the power steering gear would have to be replaced. They reported that they had one on order and would be available for installation in 3-weeks. Upon searching the web, found that Ford has had this, or similar problems with 2011-2013 power steering and has just issued a recall for 2011-2013 vehicles. Had this failure happened during a U-turn or a front tire failure at highway speed, it would likely have ended up with a serious accident. In addition, this is a vehicle designed to go off-road. If a failure of this type occurred off road, serious damage to the vehicle or occupant injury could occur. This is a serious issue that, on the surface, appears to have been going on for several years.

- Tamuning, GU, USA

Apr 102014

Explorer

Luckily we were coming to a stop anyway when we lost power steering. Loud warning beeps with a message saying "power steering assist faulty" appeared. We were able to stop and start the engine to reset this, but this is a serious safety issue. We took our new 2014 Ford to our cullman, Alabama eckenrod Ford dealer and they are stumped. Come to find out (thanks to google) this problem has been around since the 2011 model. We no longer feel safe driving this vehicle as we commute 45 miles to work and 45 miles home everyday.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Feb 122014

Explorer 6-cyl

To avoid hitting another vehicle that illegally came into the lane I was entering (they were driving on the shoulder), I had to take evasive action, which caused me to turn my vehicle into a curb. At the time, I was traveling 15 to maybe 20 mph. After hitting the curb, my vehicle came to a stop and upon inspection I discovered that the lower control arm had completely broken in half. My vehicle was towed to a local dealership, where they subsequently serviced the vehicle, which I picked up on March 15, 2014. However, within 100 miles of driving, multiple system errors occurred, and my steering went out. The dealership is now saying there was apparently an issue with the steering gear assembly, and that they will be able to further diagnose upon replacing that part. My concern is the safety of the vehicle and specifically that I do not think a control arm should snap in half at that speed, particularly in a SUV that has an upgraded suspension as part of the trim package.

- San Jose, CA, USA