2016 Ford Explorer brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 182016

Explorer

On Oct. 18 while operating at highway speed of 40 mph on hwy. 301 South in wilson nc and attempting to slow down to stop for the traffic stopped at the traffic light ahead the brake pedal and steering both did not function, I was unable to stop or steer the vehicle causing a rear-end collision to hit the vehicle in front of mine. My vehicle was towed to kenly Ford later that day from the accident site where it was purchased, they ran checks and found no codes. All I know is the brakes and steering did not work.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jul 162016

Explorer

Husband was driving the vehicle was about to accelerate to get up a hill on a city street and engine sounded like transmission or other major part just "dropped". steering wheel froze, car idled violently, could not move vehicle, started to roll backwards until emergency brake was applied.acceleration went to literally zero, SUV would not move. Orange wrench light came on, stated to see manual.placed car in park shut off engine and waited and started at back up again. Scarry stuff, 2 children 2 and younger in vehicle. Won't let me input on next page, approximately 25-30 miles an hour, SUV has 5,500 miles on

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Apr 172016

Explorer

While in motion on city street at 45 mph, brakes failed to respond in expected manner. Pressing brake pedal as far as possible, there was almost no braking action to slow vehicle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 312015

Explorer

Sept 31st - with 358 miles and less than owned for 24 hours all adaptive equipment failed, flashing ABS failure loss of speed control. Oct 1st car taken to jclewis Ford in savanah, ga, was called by the dealer approximately 3 hours later and was told to pick the car and the only problem was to realign and reset computer software. I took the car and drove 39 miles and we sustained a total repeat of the problems. At this point the dealership said they had no idea at point what was wrong or the cause of the problem, approximately five days later I was told the cause was the failure of the rear ABS wheel sensor which they told me was replaced and also that they had driven the car for few days and it was now operational. I did pick up the car and again within a few miles we sustained the same failure with an added feature I backed out of my parking space and found that I had lost any ability to move forward and there was a severe grinding noise emanating from transmission, drove the back to dealer ship for the fourth time and was told that even though I was told that the Ford dealer mechanic did not replace any parts as I was told. As of today Sept 18th the car is still with the dealer and was told that in fact replaced the left ABS wheel sensor but they said that in fact was not the problem and that it still existed. I was told that they were think it is being caused by some type of short in a wire harness but they still are awaiting parts. I have requested a meeting with a Ford representative but I was told by the service manager that he could not arrange a meeting. I was told by a Ford representative I believe detroit that I should look at the back of the owner's manual for advice on the lemon law.

- Berlin, MD, USA