7.2

2016 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 182016

Explorer

I was driving 60 mph, straight, in the express lanes on a highway (2 lanes, no shoulder). The accelerator pedal stopped working. It was rush hour traffic. I had to immediately put on my hazards and try to move to the side as best I could. It was a very dangerous situation as cars and trucks were veering very close to me and were also traveling fast when all of the sudden I lost speed. I was almost hit by several cars. I called both the dealer and Ford roadside assistance. No help ever arrived. I had to call my own tow truck 3 hours later. The il dept of transportation was forced to bump me off the road after I was stranded for over 2 hours with no help.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 132016

Explorer

Coming out of stop sign the vehicle stalled, then it wouldn't accelerate. Check engine light came on vehicle was towed. Dealer doesn't know when the new part will arrive. The problem is a bad throttle body.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Apr 032016

Explorer

On my 2016 Ford Explorer, limited model, 3.5L ti-vct V6 engine, the throttle body caused my to pull over 3 times on 2 different freeways. Vehicle has been at a dealership for 3 weeks waiting for the back ordered part.

- Oak Glen, CA, USA

Apr 092016

Explorer

Faulty throttle bottle. While cruising slightly under highway speeds the vehicle entered "limp mode" which prevents the maintaining of speeds creating a safety hazard. New throttle bodies are on "indefinite" back order which in my opinion correlates with a systemic, ongoing issue.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Apr 112016

Explorer

A week ago the vehicle showed 45 miles till empty. Backed out of the drive way to get gas and the car lost all power. Dash showed engine light and air bag. Filled up with gas and the lights went away. Today, going down the highway I lost all power. Talk about accident waiting to happen! luckily I was able to cruise to a exit and into a parking lot. Had to call Ford towing to come and get me. This is a 2016 Ford Explorer. Only 7000 miles. Brand new vehicle should not have this type of problem. Then the sensors around the car go off when there is nothing around. I know I am not the only person with this lost of power issue. I believe that the only way to actually get some assistance with this problem is after someone gets hurt and sues Ford. Another problem is there is a knocking sound as soon as the car is turned on and driven. You feel and the steer wheel knock along with the sound.

- Live Oak, TX, USA

Aug 312015

Explorer

Sept 31st - with 358 miles and less than owned for 24 hours all adaptive equipment failed, flashing ABS failure loss of speed control. Oct 1st car taken to jclewis Ford in savanah, ga, was called by the dealer approximately 3 hours later and was told to pick the car and the only problem was to realign and reset computer software. I took the car and drove 39 miles and we sustained a total repeat of the problems. At this point the dealership said they had no idea at point what was wrong or the cause of the problem, approximately five days later I was told the cause was the failure of the rear ABS wheel sensor which they told me was replaced and also that they had driven the car for few days and it was now operational. I did pick up the car and again within a few miles we sustained the same failure with an added feature I backed out of my parking space and found that I had lost any ability to move forward and there was a severe grinding noise emanating from transmission, drove the back to dealer ship for the fourth time and was told that even though I was told that the Ford dealer mechanic did not replace any parts as I was told. As of today Sept 18th the car is still with the dealer and was told that in fact replaced the left ABS wheel sensor but they said that in fact was not the problem and that it still existed. I was told that they were think it is being caused by some type of short in a wire harness but they still are awaiting parts. I have requested a meeting with a Ford representative but I was told by the service manager that he could not arrange a meeting. I was told by a Ford representative I believe detroit that I should look at the back of the owner's manual for advice on the lemon law.

- Berlin, MD, USA