2016 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 132016

This is the second time this happened to me while driving my 2016 Explorer limited. My car has every option available. A few months ago as I was turning onto the highway a "lane keeping sys malfunction" alert came across my display and my steering locked in place. I could not turn my steering wheel at all. I had a sketchy vehicle for my first vehicle and knew that I needed to put the car in park and turn it off for a few seconds and restart the car. Doing this freed my steering wheel and I was able to drive to the dealership. The dealership ran diagnostics and came to the conclusion that the sensitivity was set too high. Ffw months later. 9/13/16 I am driving back at about 65 mph, from a dr. Apt on a busy road and the car tells me my steering is malfunctioning to service my vehicle. My game plan was to pull over safely and run a vehicle health report and call the dealer. Seconds later I get the same message along with lane keeping malfunction & my steering locked. I had to come to a complete stop on the middle of a busy hwy with a car coming at my rear and throw it in park and kill my engine and restart my car for the steering to unlock. I spoke with the service dept. After they ran diagnostics and my vehicle is "spitting out codes like crazy" and was told it may be a module in my computer that controls steering & lane keeping systems or my key fob is not being detected by my computer and is not sending an alert and my car thinks it is being stolen. Crazy. Definitely not safe. This is my daily driver. I have 4 small children. I live in my car. Please research this and issue a recall. This is not safe at all. Thankfully I was not on an interstate going 70+ mph. Also my car was purchased Dec 2015 and was a dealer trade from a tx dealer.

- Morse, LA, USA

Aug 262016

While driving below 30 mph attempted to accelerate and felt a jolt, engine cut off, "wrench" light and air bag light came on (last one probably when the engine shut off).had to coast to the side, re-started engine and it started shaking, rpms kept going up and down between 1-2000.turned off and waited a few minutes.started engine again and it was running normal except check engine was on.went to local Ford dealer (we were on vacation) who couldn't take us in for at least 6 hrs and wanted us to pay for diagnostic (new car, just had first oil change).went to auto zone and they read code P2112 -throttle body failure and armed with that scheduled service at my local dealer.on the way back issue repeated itself two more times.all on lower speeds (city driving).current miles 6200.

- Webster, NY, USA

Aug 102016

While driving on a busy highway with my three children I lost all power to my vehicle just barely making it out the way of a seni truck. The Explorer was purchased in March of this year brand new to avoid problems like this. Does someone have to be killed before a recall is issued"!?!?!"!!!

- Jacksonville, CA, USA

Aug 102016

Vehicle was proceeding and all power to throttle stopped. Power steering went out. Vehicle coasted to stop in traffic turn lane. Ford stated this is a problem with vehicles throttle body

- Clifton, VA, USA

Jul 162016

Husband was driving the vehicle was about to accelerate to get up a hill on a city street and engine sounded like transmission or other major part just "dropped". steering wheel froze, car idled violently, could not move vehicle, started to roll backwards until emergency brake was applied.acceleration went to literally zero, SUV would not move. Orange wrench light came on, stated to see manual.placed car in park shut off engine and waited and started at back up again. Scarry stuff, 2 children 2 and younger in vehicle. Won't let me input on next page, approximately 25-30 miles an hour, SUV has 5,500 miles on

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jun 242016

I was driving my 2016 Ford Explorer on a busy street when the engine light and the orange wrench light came on. The car stalled and would not lost all power. I am terrified of driving it now. It would not move faster than 5 miles per hour. The car has 6,000 miles on it.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 112016

I was driving on a major highway home from work with normal traffic. My speed was approx 60-64 or so. While in left lane traveling East --without warning, my engine completely shut off. It was so hard to steer my car -- I needed to wedge my foot near window /driver door to gain leverage -and with both hands steer the car ( while decelerating down T O15 mph) to the shoulder on the right side. All drivers passing me - witnessed I was in dire trouble. I was able to get to shoulder and prayed. My rep at queens Ford was very helpful and I ve thanked him numerous times in his attempts to help me.back to story: I opened the hood, no smoke -- maybe radiator- so I waited 10 minutes.the engine started, I got back on highway-- and it shut off for a 2nd time. At that time -- I was totally afraid to drive this car any further. My queens rep suggested going to syosset Ford which was closer and I did took me what felt like days to get up enough nerve to drive this vehicle any further.I believe my case has many safety issues and I even stated to Ford take car back and replenish me for loss of income / rental fees paid during the 7 day ordeal. Problem was : throttle body part. I wasn't the only person who had come in with this problem. Ford is very cognizant about such. I asked them this vehicle back ( has 5910 miles ) on it and put me into another Lincoln product which is similar. Nor have the additional means to rent another car.I will never purchase another vehicle from Ford ever. If you can assist me to alert others - fantastic. Oh, additionally, I owned a 2003 Lincoln Navigator which constantly had issues - and they ( Ford /Lincoln ) took that vehicle in under nys lemon law -and provided me a new 2004 Navigator for no cost at all. Due to that effort from Ford/Lincoln. Ive bought 4 more Ford since then. I showed my loyalty to them, where is Ford's.

- East Northport, NY, USA

May 072016

After having just entered a parking garage, we proceeded over a speed bump at approximately 10 mph. About 1-2 car lengths later we began to turn left to start ascending through the garage to locate a parking space. After only turning approximately 10 degrees to the left, the steering wheel snapped to the straight position and would not move. There was approximately 1/2" of play to the left or right only and the wheels would not turn at all. This was while the vehicle was still in motion. Received three discernable error messages on dash that recurred repeatedly each time it was cleared with the ok button: 1. terrain management system fault, 2. service advance trak, and 3. hill assist fault. The vehicle would still drive forward or reverse but we had no ability to steer despite even my husband's strong pull on the wheel. After about 5-6 attempts at powering off and restarting the vehicle, the steering remained "locked". after about 45 minutes of waiting and talking on the phone with Ford to obtain a tow, my husband restarted again and the steering was restored.

- East New Market, MD, USA

Mar 122016

I recently received a 2016 Ford police utility (Explorer) as a new patrol vehicle. While on patrol I suddenly lost power steering. I received a steering assist fault message on the dash, as well as a traction and stability control error message. The vehicle has 935 miles on it. I have read where Ford has had problems in the past with this steering system. As a police officer I am very concerned that the loss of power steering with no warning could result in a very dangerous situation for officers driving this vehicle, as well as civilians driving the civilian model. As of this complaint the vehicle is at the dealership waiting to be fixed. Ford needs to get this system working correctly.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 242016

While making a turn on a local street power steering went out. I was able to pull to the side shut off the vehicle and waited a minute and restarted no further issues. I have owned many Explorer including 11-13 and now 16. The 16 has 12K miles on it.

- Ocean Ridge, FL, USA