2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Oct 182016

Focus

Frond driver side door refuses to stay shut due to the door latch not operating properly.. I.e., the door does not remain latch/locked. Problem appears to be with the latch. Some how the latch has corrected itself in the past. Problem has now return.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 062016

Focus

I received a safety recall 16S30 letter from Ford on 10/6/2016. I called my local Ford dealer & was told they do not have a remedy for the side door latch problem & to call back in April, may or June of 2017. Letter says if there are symptoms to call my dealer for diagnosis & repair. I do not know what symptoms are, & how can they repair if parts are not available until next year? now I'm afraid to drive for myself and my passengers. Not enough specific info provided. Recall causes more fright than if I didn't even know about the problem to begin with.

- Wareham, MA, USA

Jun 232016

Focus

The rear driver side door will not latch properly, I have to restrain the door with a seat belt in order for the door to not open while driving, there is no current recall on this model for Ford Focus but there is on other Ford vehicles for the same issue, this is the second time this vehicle has had door latch issues, the first was just under a year prior for the driver door, which opened while I was driving, the latch at that time was covered under the vehicles extended warrant but took over a month to repair at the dealer, I do not have any police reports, but when the second latch failed I did file a complaint with Ford main 800 number where they told me the product would be replaced, upon talking with the Ford dealership to schedule an appointment to have the repairs done, the dealership promptly told me that the repairs are not covered and that I would have to pay $700 to have their faulty product repaired. As of right now the door latch remains un-repaired and I have a seat belt tethered to the rear door to keep it from opening while the vehicle is in motion.

- Sunland, CA, USA

Oct 012016

Focus

Recall on the door latches. My drivers side back door will not close and latch. I have contacted the dealership. They've ordered an emergency replacement but saying it's going to be 2-3 weeks before it arrives. At this point I'm driving with my back door literally tied closed. Since it won't latch the door open alarm is dinging constantly when driving. My complaint is first of all if Ford knew this why aren't replacement parts available? second of all I feel like they should be responsible for getting me in a car that is safe while waiting on parts to become available.

- Mckenzie, TN, USA

Sep 152016

Focus

My wife's 2012 Ford Focus sel driver side rear door won't close. My wife was driving to work on a blvd. Going straight and the car computer started to ding ding ding... the message stated the driver side rear door was open, now the door won't stay closed. We keep the rear door closed with bungee cords now. Luckily she didn't didn't have a rear seat passenger at the time. There seems to be a disconnect between the brain and the body when talking about Ford customer service, Ford recall hq., and my local Ford dealer. It all sounds good on the phone but the rubber ain't meeting the road on anything actually getting done. Anything.

- Clute, TX, USA

Aug 022016

Focus

Door latches bad on car have had two occacions where they go faulty, first time was a couple of years ago both the drivers door latch went bad, the car was not in motion when I found out, and I was under the warranty to fix the problem so I never complained. The second time I was driving with my dog in the back seat and the door swings open, I was very shocked from the situation because my dog nearly feel out, my first thought was it was my fault I did not close the door, but when I went to shut the door in the back the latch would not close, I knew at this point what was going on because of my first experience. This time I was no longer under warranty and had to pay over 500 dollars to fix. That was the second time this happens to me and ive heard other people that own Ford Focus cars that they have experienced similar problems. On both drivers door. Seems like fraud if you ask

- Calexico, CA, USA

Sep 052016

Focus

The door on the front passenger side of my 2012 Ford Focus suddenly opened while the vehicle was in motion nearly causing an accident. I was travelling on the highway at approx. 50 mph when the front passenger side door sprung open causing the vehicle travelling next to me to swerve away. The week before the front driver side door open unexpectedly.

- Doral, FL, USA

Jul 042015

Focus

Opened the driver's rear door. Put the child in the car seat. Closed the door and it slammed open. Thinking I might have locked the doors hit unlock, but it did it again. Luckily, I had a bungee and my wife drove home while I held the door shut.

- Maricopa, AZ, USA

Sep 072016

Focus

The rear door swung open when driving. Will not latch back close.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 242016

Focus

Driver side rear door latch failed while pulling out of my driveway. The left rear door open light illuminated and the door swung open. Tried to close door but the door will not latch close leaving vehicle non operable. Ford says my VIN is not covered in the attached recall notice, although it meets all criteria of notice. Also local Ford dealer was not able procure new part because of availability. Customer service just said they were sorry. I now have an inoperable vehicle and by every indication it should be covered under this warranty. Other wise it will cost me over $400 to have this fixed if they ever are able to get the part.

- Madera, CA, USA

Aug 292016

Focus

The front passenger side door opened while driving and will not latch closed. The local dealer reports door latch failure as the cause. This is a major safety issue that has already been recalled on other models (fiesta, Fusion, etc). Ford Motor Company should also recall this part on the 2012 Focus model as it's an obvious major safety issue as the door will open while driving.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Aug 252016

Focus

Driver's front door inoperable, won't latch at all. Door remains unlatched, even when car is in motion (forward or reverse) after all other doors latch/lock automatically. Driving the vehicle became unsafe, since the door can/will swing outward into oncoming traffic, that became a high risk for an accident. Door had to be tied manually, to keep it from opening, while driving the vehicle to the dealership for repairs.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Mar 152016

Focus

Door latch would release while the vehicle was moving in city traffic. Had to use straps to tie the door shut. Was repaired by dealer and then the same thing occurred on another door. Also was repaired by the dealer. It appeared the latch just failed in both occurrences.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Aug 252016

Focus

Car front driver door won't latch, it happened when I was driving in the highway when my driver door just widely opened in the middle of the highway at 65 miles an hour!!! Ford issued a recall for the specific model but my VIN number is not included for the recall! it's very dangerous and unsafe, I feel in danger when I need to hold the door when driving because the door opens wide when I make a right turn.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 282015

Focus

Parked up and vehicle was stationary. Rear passenger door was opened to get bags out, then when shut would no longer latch. No process would make door latch, door ajar light remained on. Secured door temporarily with cords. Took car into future Ford of clovis ca, they were not interested in the slightest to hear my concerns and to how dangerous this could have been had door swung open if I'd been driving. I pointed out the many incidents I noticed on various websites and that fiesta's having same parts had been recalled and repaired. They were only interested in charging me to investigate problem and see if the lock was the issue. If the guy had stepped out from behind his counter and just looked I think he could have confirmed it, but wanted to charge me a $100 to do that. I ended up purchasing parts from ebay and installing it myself. Nothing to say this one won't fail at any time. I have no confidence in their safety latches what so ever. As for future Ford of clovis disgusting attitude towards vehicle safety only interested in $$$$$$$$

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 172016

Focus

The 2012 Ford Focus referenced above has had issues with the passenger side rear door since April of 2016. Randomly, the driver's notification center (information message) would show the rear passenger side door was ajar while the vehicle was initially being started & that same day while the car was in motion. Note, I use the car only for myself & rarely ever use that door as I do not have children & usually have only 1 passenger if any. Only a couple of days later, the door itself would fly open--regardless whether the car was "in park", being "revered" or being operated in traffic, whether locally or on longer distanced travel...highly dangerous, let alone distracting & unnerving. I called my local Ford dealer(s) & was told that my car's VIN was not covered or been involved in any kind of recall for such problem, even though there were several thousands of other Ford Focus vehicles which were covered.I literally had to operate my car which I need daily for work, & school with the seat-belt located in the rear rightside of my Focus bound around the arm handle as to avoid having the door fly open. By this point, the door would no longer latch or close at all. Even securing my car at night was impossible. If I locked the car, the alarm would randomly blare at all hours of the morning causing me & my neighbors to panic. Meanwhile I would have to run to find my keys to deactivate the alarm. For a couple of months my car had to be parked unlocked every night because of this faulty latch. Despite attempts to have my Ford dealer help with this concern, no one ever called me back from autonation Ford in sanford fl or from greenway Ford in orlando. My immediate family has owned Ford since I was a child & between us currently have 3 Ford vehicles. However this particular 2012 Focus is my (alexandra) 1st car & I must say I am extremely disappointed.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Aug 162016

Focus

Door fails to latch and opens while in motion.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 272016

Focus

While I was backing out of my parking space my passenger door had swung open

- Saugus, CA, USA

Jun 282016

Focus

Driver side door swung open amidst driving down a residential street

- Saugus, CA, USA

Mar 242016

Focus

Since March of 2016 I've had to deal with door latch issues. My driver side door failed to stay shut. Luckily it was just sitting in my driveway and quit working overnight. The second occurrence was my rear drive side door flew open when I turned on a city street. Lastly, the rear passenger door swung open while drive down another city street road. Ford refuses to fix unless I pay close to $700 per door out of pocket.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA