8.3

2. swapped it for another...ford says their is no solution (3 reports)
  3. replace automatic clutch (1 reports)
2012 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012012

Focus SEL V4

the transmission on the new focus is garbage. have been at the dealer many times for shifting problem rattling and shaking. it makes the whole entire car shake ..has been fixed many time and programed and clutch changed but still have same stupid issue.

- , Windsor, Ontario, canada

Nov 262013

Focus

The clutch in the transmission slips during shifting. RPM momentarily spikes by 2000 RPM. I took it to the dealer and their "fix" was to reprogram the shift points to about 500 RPM higher. This relieves the stress on the clutch and I believe covers up the problem. (Until the warranty runs out) I brought the car into the dealer with a 36 MPG (Good mileage is why I bought the car.) The car now runs like it is low gear and the MPG dropped down to 29.

WARNING WARNING if you let these turkeys reprogram your car the changes are permanent and cannot be removed. I now have to shift manually (S mode) to get the advertised MPG. They told me to drive the car 1000 miles so it could "learn" my driving habits. (This will be just long enough so the lemon laws don't apply.) I have to ask my self why could I drive the new car off the lot and didn't have the "learning" before getting great gas mileage.

There is a class action suit in California and they report that a leaky oil seal causes the slippage. I think that this is a great car to buy if you want transmission problems. The company knows about this problem and they put the "shucks" on me with the computer reprogramming "fix". I normally keep a car for 100K miles but today we went looking for a different car. In my opinion, if there was a little honesty I would not seek a different brand.

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Dec 312011

Focus SEL

Wasn't long after I bought this car, it started acting stupid. Doesn't shift right and stutters all the time. Sometime you wonders if it's going to stall. I have had it at the dealership 5 times…been given a rental 3 of those times, once I had to buy a rental myself. They tinker with it, once they actually replaced the entire transmission, or so they say. Then they give it back, tell me to give it about 500 miles to learn my driving habits again, blah blah blah….same story every time. After about 2 days, it is doing it again. Sad, really sad. I love my car….I think it is a pretty car and I love the inside, but I can't stand driving it anymore. And Ford just won't do anything to fix it. I know a gentlemen, they actually took his car back….I know another couple, they are having the same problem. So it isn't just me. I am currently shopping to trade mine in. I am a Ford retiree. I get the A Plan….I have yet to set foot an a Ford dealership lot….I will NOT be buying a Ford…terrible that they know there is a problem, yet they don't even attempt to make it right. I am extremely disappointed in this company I was once so proud of …..

Right now…I am looking at a Chevy Malibu. :) Hoping they find one with everything I want on it. Hoping they take the stupid Focus….I'm done with it…piece of CRAP!

- , Mount Washington, KY, USA

Oct 282013

Focus

Do not buy a focus, it is a lemon! The transmission is bad and Ford knows about this problem. They are selling cars that are dangerous. If mine is not fixed the next time I take it into the Ford dealership, I going to contact the Better Business Bureau. All who have a focus should contact the B.B.B.

- , Southaven, MS, USA

Sep 162013

Focus LS

I HAVE TAKEN MY AUTO IN TO DEALERSHIP ((Cal Wortherington Ford twice about this problem, slipping transmission, I have been told TWICE by the HEAD Mechanic (a 90 yr old man!!!) that this is normal on this car. One of the younger mechanics there tells me "Oh, it's because inside the gear box it may be automatic but it shifts gears like it's a stick, so it's normal"....

Am I imaging things! Why, because I'm a Woman!!! I'm NOT STUPID! I know the transmission is slipping, I have had two of my friends who one has a Auto shop and the other is mechanically inclined, I TIRED OF GETTING THE RUN AROUND ON THIS! I KNOW WITH THE PAPERWORK I HAVE DOWN LOADED FROM YOUR SITE I HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF A LEG UP ON THEM, AND I AM TAKING IT BACK IN THIS FRIDAY THE 1ST OF NOVEMBER AND I'M TAKING A MAN. LET'S SEE IF ALL THAT I HAVE CHANGES THEIR TUNE!

Update from Nov 15, 2013: I firmly believe the reason they didn't take me seriously was and still is because I'm a female and they thought I'm stupid, so I had a male friend go in with me and he went on the test drive with a lead mechanic and they didn't even make it out of the car lot before the mech stated oh yeah I'm familuar with the problem we will order parts for the clutch and call u back in when we get them, so I'm waiting for the parts to come in still to this date its been two weeks today. If I could place a sexual discrimanation case I would do that, they have no right just because I'm a woman (no penis) should they be allowed to treat me as stupid! So I am waiting on a call when the parts get in

- , Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Oct 142013

Focus

It tends to roll back, jerking a lot and the dealership said it is a problem with transmission clutch, they had to take it apart. Tends to hesitate when driving, when I get off of work at three in the morning I would pull over to make sure its not going to cut off. While driving the car, it would jerk, making me pull over to check and see if anything is wrong. When the transmission light comes on I would pull over.

My warranty expires soon and I will never feel comfortable with this car getting off of work at night. I would prefer to get another car considering it's not reliable. I would call home letting someone know I am having problems encase I can't make it. Please help me. I shouldn't have to pay a dime for a car that has a common problem.

- , Detroit, Michigan, USA

Sep 012013

Focus SE 2.0L

FROM DAY ONE, THE TRANSMISSION HAD A 2 SHIFTING PROBLEMS. IN DRIVE -THE TRANSMISSION WOULD FEEL LIKE IT SHIFTED FROM 1ST TO SIXTH GEAR AT ABOUT 15-20 MPH, THIS WAS FORDS AUTO TRANSMISSION THAT SHIFTED LIKE A MANUAL TRANS. THE OTHER ISSUE WAS IN REVERSE, PUTTING THE CAR IN REVERSE IT WOULD FEEL LIKE SOMEONE WAS HOOKING AND UNHOOKING A TRAILER. THESE PROBLEMS WERE INTERMITTANT. TOOK IT TO THE DEALER MANY TIMES AND AT FIRST THEY KEPT INSTALLING SOFTWARE UPDATES ON THE CAR- DID NOT WORK. THE REVERSE PROBLEM WAS DUE TO A SPINNING BEARING IN THE TRANSMISSION, DEALER SAID FORD MOTOR SAID THAT WAS NOT PROBLEM THEY COULD FIX, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I DUMPED THIS PIECE OF SH** AT ABOUT 20K MILES AND BOUGHT A NEW 2013 CHEV MALIBU, I HAVE HAD IT A COUPLE MONTHS AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. I WILL NEVER -E V E R BUY ANOTHER FORD VEHICLE AGAIN. I CAN SEE WHY SO MANY AMREICANS BUY FOREIGN VEHICLES, MADE IN AMERICA IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE.

- , Pinckney, MI, USA

Oct 112013

Focus LS 2.0L

• CVT transmission

I have had this car since December 2012....now it needs the transmission repaired??? I feel ripped off! Can just imagine the future problems with this car.

- , San Angelo, TX, USA

Jul 052013

Focus SEL V4

Bought car a year ago and ran fine until about 8,000 miles. Vehicle hesitates, sputters and vibrates hard as if it's going to stall when moving from start to 1st gear. Took the car to dealership at end of August - turns out there was a recall on the transmission. After the recall fix the car ran even worse. Took it to another dealership today (9/23/13) and said since the recall fix was done, there is nothing more they can do - this is how the transmission runs. Problem is, almost got into an accident going from on ramp on to highway because it won't move into 1st gear - hesitates way too long and then runs so rough and vibrates so hard - it's scary. We're taking it to a third dealership this week and we'll see what they say. Also, I called the Ford customer hotline and they said that's how the transmission operates as well. I feel so unsafe in this vehicle I don't even want to drive it. I had someone in my car the other day and they thought I had a manual transmission. Another woman has a four year old car that runs better than mine. This is not right. I regret buying this car and just want my money back so I can drive something I'm not afraid of. Funny part is the first 8,000 miles or so had no problems at all. Will never purchase a Ford again.

- , Avon Lake, OH, USA

Jul 052013

Focus SEL V4

When moving from stop, vehicle rolls back on an incline. So much so that the warning beeps that I almost hit the car behind me were going off. If on a slight bump in the road, it rolls back - alot.

- , Avon Lake, OH, USA

Nov 212012

Focus LS

It's my first Brand New car and I am very disappointed. The vibration and hesitation should not be happening on a brand new car. The service department acts as though they have never heard such a thing. Then they tell me they "Google" it to find out what to do. They updated my computer system (?) in the car so it wouldn't do it again but it still does. Plus I had to take a day off work because they want the car for the day. Ford should not be so deceptive. They should acknowledge the issue and not give consumers the run around.

- , Everett, Washington, USA

Jul 032013

Focus SEL 2.0L Inline 4

When I first got the car, I felt the tranny shudder every shift. The kick was minimal and everything seemed fine. Took it into the dealer Boggus Ford, was told that It was normal. After 9,000 miles the kick was so bad I almost ran over a few people outside a grocery store! I almost hit people as I was at a stopped due to the car lunging every shift. I felt neck pain after awhile and from every stop the car would down shift to 2nd gear and fly as if I was trying to race someone! I told myself it was enough already. Took it in to Spikes Ford, they told me the car was deemed unsafe to drive so they couldn't let me leave with it. Apparently the seal was open to the transmission and the transmission was leaking fluids? I was once told it was a dry clutch transmission. Either way they told me fluids were entering the transmission and some fluids were exiting the transmission, don't know how that is possible. They considered it as an assembly error and told me it could have possibly been the assembly plant's error. Took a day to fix the car, replaced all clutches, seals, and fluids. So far, extremely satisfied with how it's working now! No more kicking, no more lunging, just very minimal shudder noise. So far I have 12,500 miles, no more problems. I know every car has it's problems but I'm very glad the dealership didn't hesitate to fix it. One day it was in, and the next day it was out. So far, now I'm satisfied! $980.00 was the total but thanks to the warranty it was covered. If Ford can continue to address my issues as quick as they did with the Focus transmission, I will continue to stay with them.

- , Mcallen, TX, USA

Aug 242013

Focus SEL 2.0L V4

Purchased the 2012 Focus in December 2012 with 33,000 miles on it. It always stuttered when going from a stop, but it seems normal when compared to other focuses with the same engine and transmission. Then on August 24th, there was a complete lack of power and couldn't go past 20mph. It couldn't shift gears and felt like it was going to stall. When it was trying to change gears, it started jerking back and forth crazily. I had to pull over to allow 55mph traffic to pass me. It's a good thing there wasn't a car coming when I was taking a left turn across traffic, otherwise I would be dead. I left the car off for a while, then turned it back on and it seems normal.

I took it to the dealership to have checked out and of course they couldn't recreate what I was experiencing. They never can though, can they? There were a couple of transmission codes in there and they reprogrammed the PCM, but I have a feeling this didn't fix anything.

These cars periodically have transmission failure for which there is no fix. The problems are too infrequent and unpredictable so far that there will likely never be a long term fix unless you replace the transmission and the associated computer.

- , Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Aug 172013

Focus

Just bought the car. I could shift better on a standard transmission than it shifts. Really, Ford does not have a solution to this. I cannot believe they would actually sell a car with this kind of problem only to say that it is a standard part made over to automatic and that is just how it is!!!! Come on Ford!!!

Update from Sep 3, 2013: Took it to the Ford Service Dept. and sure enough they said that is just the way it is on the Focus. So...we went to the Chevy Dealership and swapped it for an Impala. Still have our old 2003 Impala, which we gave to our son and still doing great at over 100,000 miles. Warning do not get a Ford Focus unless you drive in town and until it heats up!

- , Krebs, OK, USA

Sep 142012

Focus SEL 2.0L

When I stop for a red-light and the car idles briefly it will “stutter” and cause a slight jerky start when I accelerate. This seems to be most noticeable on warm days and is worse on some days than others. The first time I brought my Focus in the computer said that the #2 cylinder was miss firing and that was addressed. The second time the computer said that the #3 cylinder was miss firing and that was addressed. The third time the service manager said it was a problem with the transmission and that it was a problem Ford was aware. Service mgr told me today (12/11/12) that Ford now had a fix and he would order the parts. I hope this solves my problem, my fingers are crossed.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 022012

Focus SE 3.2L

2012 ford focus. Shifts horrible and continues making grinding noise going up hills or making left hand turns. Been back to dealer twice and will be going back shortly. Ford knows that the only real fix is to replace the transmission with a different one, but too late too many already sold. Rather keep giving the executives big bonuses and raises. A total recall would affect profits so looks like the consumer will just have to eat it.

- , Stephens City, VA, USA

May 122012

Focus SFE V4

click to see larger images

multiple shifting problems multiple shifting problems

I PURCHASED MY 2012 FORD FOCUS ON THE LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY 2012, THE CAR WAS GREAT, UNTIL I WENT TO NOLA FOR VACATION. THE TRANSMISSION START SHAKING WHEN I TOOK OFF FROM A STOP AND WHEN I WENT UP HILLS THE CAR WOULD GO UP THE HILL IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR. I TOOK IT TO A FORD DEALERSHIP NEAR MY WORK(NOT THE DEALERSHIP I PURCHASED IT FROM) AND I WAS TOLD WHAT EVERY BODY ELSE WAS TOLD " THATS THE WAY IT IS TO SHIFT OUT, THATS THE NEW TRANS FORD CAME OUT WITH, IT NOTHING JUST KEEP DRIVING AND ENJOY YOUR CAR" SO I DID, IT HAD GOT TO THE POINT WHERE WHEN I TOOK OFF INTO TRAFFIC I FELT LIKE I WOULD BE HIT BECAUSE THE CAR WOULD NOT SHIFT PROPERLY. I THEN TOOK IT TO THE DEALERSHIP I BOUGHT IT FROM AND THEY FOUND THAT THE GEARS,BARRINGS AND SEALS WHERE BAD. THEY REPLACED THEM, AND 2 WEEKS LATER I HEARD A LOAD POP AND THE CAR STARTED TO SHUTTER, I CARRIED IT BACK INTO THE DEALERSHIP, THEY FOUND THAT THE CLUTCH MOTOR NEEDED REPLACING. GOT THE CAR BACK AND "3 DAYS LATER" THE CAR START "AGAIN" SHUTTERING" IT IS IN THE SHOP AS WE SPEAK WITH YET ANOTHER "PART" BEING ORDERED AND REPLACED. I HAVE SPOKE WITH THE GEN MANAGER OF THE DEALERSHIP AND HE ADV ME TO CALL FORD, I DID AND NOW I HAVE A CASE OPENED UP WITH THEM ON THIS CAR. SO WISH ME LUCK ON THE FUTURE WITH THIS ISSUE!!!!!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 012011

Focus

39K miles and counting and the car continues shutter as it shifts. Capital Ford of Raleigh has explained to myself and my wife that this is a known issue but not one which Ford believes is a design flaw. More or less a nuisance.

I must tell anyone considering a Ford Focus, don't let the sexy, sleek design suck you in. While it is a beautiful to look at, it shifts like it was designed by the K Car team of AMC. And herein lies my biggest concern. There seems to be no signs of working itself out as the Ford service team will tell you. "It will learn how you drive" is the biggest crock of shite I have heard in awhile.

The shifting problem will become Ford's next Explorer disaster. Hope they take note of these complaints and make good those that desire to keep their cars for years, not months.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Apr 042013

Focus SEL

After purchasing the auto, i noted after several weeks the automatic transmission allowed the vehicle to roll back on an incline. Spoke to service department and they said that was normal until the car got used to me driving it. Thought strange but kept driving. After about 8 months or so, I had to take in because the front left side of the vehicle emitted a very loud rattling and clanging noise along with slippage of transmission. They had to do some major work and after doing so, the car ran well, and it did not make the noise nor rolll backward. Aftger about 8 months again, this started over again, except for the roll back, that is, the noise level very, very loud and shuttering took place in front wheel transmission and steering wheel, along with slippage of the gears as they shifed. Took in but told could not replicate, and I did this several times, now it is doing it so loud that the man riding with me from the dealership heard it all. But, the technicians who were to work actually on it drove it and could not replicate and they called me and said all was o.k. and that was just the way the car transmission was to operate. I said then they did not drive it in a manner that it would be heard, because it happens in stop and go driving and going onto steep inclines. Also, hotter weather makes it worse. So, today I am going to have to go back and have a "technician" ride with me rather than the other type of employee who reported it to make it happen again so they can hear! They will not take the word of the other technicians I guess. So these people are "like parrots spewing forth the same message given to them from the Ford Motor Company headquarters" and they will NOT admit they have made a mistake and error in putting this stuff off on people and they don't have a fix for it at all apparantly. Don' know the outcome coming up today, but I can say I will not be a happy man from now on. I have 1 more year on this leased auto and I have to listen to terrible LOUD noises in the front left side transmission andalso heavy slippage going on with gear shifting. They NEVER spoke to me when leasing the car that stuff like this would take place or I would never have bought it, nor did it do this when I first drove it in test runs etc.!! To me, if they could fix it so it would last eight or nine months without noises and problems why can't they fix it again? I am turning in this lease in 1 year but not going to buy another Ford product because they have given me the run around on this deal!!!! This is not to speak of a water pump which went out and messed up also.

- , San Antonio, Texas 78253, USA

Feb 222012

Focus SEL 2.0L

Again, the transmission does not shift properly. Will ramp up to 5,000rpm before shifting sometimes.

Update from Apr 9, 2013: I now have 25,000 miles on my car and still have the same problems. Ford Regional Customer service manager submitted to legal for a buy back and that was rejected because there were never any repairs done on the transmission even though the module that shifts the transmission was recalibrated several times. I have now filed for the Colorado Lemon Law to go through arbitration with it.

- , Wellington, CO, USA