CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 26)

Dec 302016

Focus

Transmission jerks.,hesitates, slips revs up, stalls out, module for transmission reprogrammed, replaced, clutches replaced, still same problem.they cannot repair, will sit parked in driveway.

- Whittier, CA, USA

May 132015

Focus

I had already begun noticing the shuddering and lurches when I was notified of the recall. I immediately brought it to my local dealership in May 2015. During this first visit the service department replaced the clutches, clutch assembly, seal, and fluids as allowed by the recall. I brought the vehicle back to service in October 2015 at which time I was told this problem would never be fixed, but the car was ¿repaired per recall 15B22B¿. on the third visit, in December 2015, I was told by the service man that ¿Ford created a bad transmission, but all they could do was re-flash the control module and the car would need to re-learn my driving habits¿. according to the service invoice the vehicle was rechecked for the transmission shudder, passed test, and was reprogrammed. During the fourth visit in May 2016, I was told the car was operating as designed and that if I would read my owner's manual, I would know that. At that time I asked to speak with the service manager because of the way I was being treated. The service invoice states the ¿transmission is passing transmission operational testing criteria¿. I have now been told there is nothing more they can do. I have researched online and have come across this reasoning for the problem: ¿transmission fluid is leaking someplace inside and getting on one or two of the clutches, the oily clutch is what's causing the vehicle to have the harsh shift¿. I¿ve also read that after nineteen technical service bulletins, a recent bulletin allows the dealership service department to open the transmission, find the area that leaks transmission fluid on the clutch, and fix it. Yet I'm still being told there is nothing more they can do.

- Indian Mound, TN, USA

Dec 262014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While accelerating the vehicle from a stop or while in reverse, the vehicle shuttered without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission clutch failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred six times. The vehicle was service per a technical service bulletin for the transmission clutch failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 49,067.

- St James, LA, USA

Dec 192016

Focus

My 2013 Ford Focus shudders, hesitates and surges when shifting. Today it is in Ford's dealership getting the fifth auto trans dual clutch installed. I do not feel safe when accelerating from a stop sign. Yesterday the car shifted hard 1-2 and again shifted hard 2-3 and then would not come out of 3rd gear.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Dec 202016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle shifted independently to a lower gear without warning. On several occasions, the vehicle failed to shift out of second gear while the accelerator was depressed. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the PCM needed to be reprogrammed. The PCM was reprogrammed; however, the failure recurred. The contact also stated that the clutch was replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,209.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jun 132013

Focus

Transmission makes noise, delayed acceleration, hard shifts. Vehicle has been taken to the dealership for software updates but no attempts to fix have been satisfactory.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Nov 152016

Focus

The fuse that controls the instrument panel in front of the steering wheel will not stay in. It does not "blow" and when this happens you have no speedometer, heat or gas gauge, turn signals, ect. I believe this to be a valid safety issue. When this fuse does not allow the current to get to the instrument cluster then the mpg readout returns to 30.7 in lieu of what was being shown at the time of the failure. Anytime your signal lights will not work that is a recallable situation. I believ fomoco knows about this. Also the sticker on the door jamb in regards to tire pressure reads 30 psi. Right now I have 30 psi in my tires and the "low tire" light is constantly on.when I contacted my dealer he said to put 35 psi in each tire to eliminate the problem. If the tire manufacturers wanted more than 30psi in their tires then why does the door sticker not say so and also the tire booklet.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Apr 092015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced shuddering and then stalled while being operated at a low speed. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 14,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 102016

Focus

Was driving down the road and suddenly transmission stops working engine revs up then it engages again. Continued down the road and it continued to do this repeatedly. Pulled off road only to find out no reverse as well. Almost caused me to lose control of the vehicle as I live in a rural area with small rolling hills and it is wintertime.

- Greencastle, IN, USA

Dec 092016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 65 mph, the service transmission warning indicator illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the part that held the clutch to the transmission fractured and needed replacement. The contact also stated that the vehicle was previously repaired twice for power train failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Compton, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the transmission slipped while accelerating. The dealer did not find any issues with the transmission. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Nov 092016

Focus

Vehicle does not start with warning parking aid fault. After several attempts, it starts but then stops. Vehicle shudders from start, gears make noises and down shifts unexpectedly.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

May 052015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, usually between 20-30 mph, the vehicle jerked and a loud noise was heard under the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed seals and the shaft needed to be replaced. The repairs were completed, but the issue persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the clutch was replaced twice and there were two software updates. The failures continued. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the transmission gears were extremely slow to change over and suddenly the gear engaged and caused a jerking motion. The emergency brake was released and fractured. The contact notified at least three dealers and one of them indicated that the transmission clutch assembly needed to be replaced; however, the part was on a national back order. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Dillon, SC, USA

Aug 262015

Focus

I purchased my used 2013 Ford Focus on August 4th 2015. Since then it has been in the shop four times to address the dual clutch system being faulty. The car will shutter between gears, struggle to accelerate, it will roll backwards/forwards at stops while the car is still in drive and when I am going to park. It also will rev up randomly and almost lurch forward when its trying to shift. I bring the car in and they "fix" it, when I pick it up from the shop it runs smoothly for a short period of time before it starts all over again.

- Clearwater, MN, USA

Nov 072016

Focus

I purchased a 2013 Ford Focus 2013 SE hatchback. I've had it for about two years. During the last few months the transmission has started to stutter. When starting at an intersection from a red light or stop sign the car struggles to accelerate. At slow speed in a parking lot for example it doesn't operate well wither. It behaves like someone is learning a manual transmission for the first time. My car is an automatic. Lately the automatic transmission has gotten worse. I have had to take it in to the dealer.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Nov 042016

Focus 4-cyl

I was literally leaving the Ford dealership for "shut down isssues and shuddering issues" when they supposedly couldn't "verify the problem" I was driving home on a five lane highway and my car completely lost power in the middle of an intersection going 70mph and was stuck in the middle of the freeway until a tow truck came and towed my car back to the dealership where it is currently at right now. This is my 5th attempt for them to fix it.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While operating the vehicle, the transmission malfunctioned and caused the vehicle to stall. The vehicle would also not operate in reverse occasionally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was faulty. The transmission was repaired, but the failures continued. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 1,700.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 162013

Focus

The vehicle stutters, jerks, and stalls in low gears. When we press the gas from a stationary position the car fails to move forward on many occasions. If it does move forward then the gears make a grinding sound. It poses a risk to us when we have to move across oncoming traffic, especially on left hand turns at stoplights when we have a yield sign. The car has stalled out on a few occasions leaving us vulnerable to cars traveling at high velocities towards us. This is an unsafe car and we plan to hold Ford accountable for human and property damage should it occur due to this defect.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 242016

Focus

The powershift transmission contains one or more design and/or manufacturing defects that cause problems and unsafe conditions, including, but not limited to, suddenly lurching forward, delayed acceleration, and sudden loss of forward propulsion. The transmission has a very sluggish shift between the first and second gears and the upshift bogs down like the vehicle might stall and erratically shifting in second and third gear as well, continue to experience transmission defect, including, but not limited to, bucking, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, and delayed acceleration and lurching. This is a serious matter that needs to be addressed before this defect causes fatalities.

- Nogales, AZ, USA