2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 27 of 32)

Nov 082011

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was turning left into a parking space in a parking lot at 2mph or less when the vehicle suddenly accelerated at high rpms. Our vehicle slammed into the vehicle to the right of the space my wife would have entered. Heavy damage was caused to our veh. And to the parked veh. My wife was unsure if she had caused the acdt or if it was a mechanical defect. Because of the very heavy and rapid acceleration, I didn't think it in any way was driver error. After it was repaired, our 2010 Fusion was checked out by a Ford dealer and nothing was found amiss. A year later in Nov. Of 2012, I was driving the car at approximately 50mph when the engine suddenly revved up about 150 to 200rpms. This didn't cause any great acceleration but, considering my wife's experience, I immediately shifted to neutral. Just as I got into neutral, the engine revved up to 2500 to 3000rpms. Had the car been in drive, a collision could have happened or I could have lost control. Ford was contacted, car inspected, again nothing wrong. A service writer tried to tell us that the rubber floor mat was on the accelerator pedal. The mat doesn't gain weight to suddenly depress the pedal all by itself! Ford's great lakes regional manager was not very forthcoming-she wasn't apparently aware that there were youtube videos of 2010 Fusion owners filming their dashboards as their cars did the same as I have described above. The car is being driven regularly but both of us have a hand on the gear shift alot of the time. Considering our experiences and the youtube postings, I think Ford is trying to avoid an expensive recall. Didn't Toyota use the floor mat excuse for years?

- Arden Hills, MN, USA

Aug 212011

Fusion 4-cyl

While going 70 mph on the highway I experienced the same issues. My car stalled out shut off the cruise control and started shaking uncontrollable. I shut off the car and waited about five minutes and started it back up drove maybe another ten miles and it started again. On the following day I took it to the dealership where I purchased it from and they made it seem as if I had no ideal of what I was talking about. Once they realized I knew that it was the throttle body assembly that was the problem I was told that this was not a part that was covered under warranty so I would have to pay for it out of pocket. I took the time to talk to several reps at Ford and I was told that if the mechanic did not think it was defective then there was nothing they could do. I talked to the mechanic at the dealership and they told me that it just stopped working. So I ended up paying $479.05 for a new throttle body assembly and having to be without my car for a total of four day. Only to get it back with a cracked windshield, but that is a different issue.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 132013

Fusion 6-cyl

On Feb 13 2013 I was driving and the car nosed over, slowed to approx 8mph, with engine surges of up to 1500 RPM, after several restarts it ran normally. On Feb 17 2013 it did the same exact thing, I stopped and restarted the engine several times in the 40 minute drive of 3 miles back home but that did not help. After the car set for several hours it started and ran correctly. Research on the internet showed hundreds of the same problem and replacing the throttle body corrected the trouble. On Feb 18, 2013 I took it to the Ford dealer and from only my description was told that the throttle body was the problem, they had 3 in stock and my three year warranty has expired on Feb 21, 2013, less than a month out of warranty and it would not be covered so I drove the car back home, I called a different Ford dealer who sold me the throttle body at a discount. It took me about ten minutes to install the throttle body, and the car is still running as it should.

- Tremont, IL, USA

Jan 072013

Fusion

My Ford 2010 Fusion, when at a traffic light, stop sign, etc.. would stall when I put my foot on the accelerator with very little response. Then it will finally pick up speed. I have not experience the "engine shut down" as of yet and I hope I don't. after reading the other "complaints", now I know what the problem is. Will take care of it as soon as possible!

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Dec 022012

Fusion

While driving on the freeway at 65 mph. The engine lost power as the engine light and wrench light went on. Pressing on the accelerator had no responsive. I had to navigate freeway traffic with no engine power to get off to the side of the road. As I came to a stop the car jerked a bit before I put it in park. I turned it off and let it sit for a while. After turning the car back on I got back on the road, only to have it happen again a few miles later.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Oct 112012

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving the car suddenly slowed into a limp mode. This happened several times. The final time was on a major highway at 55mph. Luckily I was able to maneuver the to the side of the road before getting rear ended by traffic from behind. This is dangerous condition! after visits to 2 Ford dealers, they replaced the throttle body. The car was out of warranty by mileage, (not time), so we ended up paying out almost $500 for the repair and car rental.

- Sanatoga, PA, USA

Jul 172012

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was leaving work and pulling out of the parking lot, the engine sputtered, choked, wheezed and eventually would not go over 10-15 mph. Check engine light came on and vehicle died. Had the vehicle towed the next day to the local Ford dealership and was informed that I had a defective throttle body that had caused the problem and also had created a lot of debris in the fuel intake system. Cleaning of the fuel intake system and replacement of the throttle body was around $700. I didn't think anything of it at the time until I saw on the news that NHTSA had opened an inquiry into this possible defect on the Fusion, so I wanted to add that I had a similar problem as was being investigated.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Jul 162012

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on an interstate about 55 mph and wrench light came on engine lost ability to accelerate I.e. went into safe mode and had to maneuver through traffic to the shoulder. This occurred multiple times from July through August 2012 on various types of roadways (highway, neighborhood roads) until the problem was fixed by a Ford dealership. Cause of the problem according to the invoice was the throttle body. They replaced the throttle body and the problem has gone away.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on a major roadway at 50 mile per hour, the vehicle suddenly shuts down, almost stalling, and I am unable to start vehicle for several minutes.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jul 062011

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000 and current mileage was 61,000.

- Independance , KY, USA

Jun 162010

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the engine RPM increased and the vehicle jerked without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 21,000.

- Valpariso, IN, USA

Feb 262013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while driving at unknown speeds and turning left. The driver was able to restart the engine. The vehicle was driven to the contact's home. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 86,500.

- Mullins , SC, USA

Sep 072012

Fusion

I was on the freeway when engine speed suddenly went to idle. I was in the middle lane and almost got into a crash trying to get to the road side. When I brought the car to the Ford dealer they said the throttle body was bad and it cost me $500 they said it was not covered under the power train warranty, go figure. Also the transmission does not down shift properly after heavy acceleration, they said it was normal. It's no wonder why people shy away from so called american cars, it will be my last.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Feb 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on I-49 so., approx. 60 mph in peak morning traffic, the engine stalled. Luckily I was able to pull over to the shoulder. Noticed a "wrench" icon lit on dash. Turned off engine and after a few minutes, re-started engine. All clear on dash, so continued on to work. Called hub city Ford and brought car in the next morning. The "throttle body" was changed. No other warning or lights came on.

- Sunset, LA, USA

Jan 182013

Fusion

Vehicle stalled while driving at 45 mph. Second occurrence. First was approximately 1 year earlier. Immediately restarts as if nothing happened. Each time, took to dealer, who read code and reprogrammed.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

As I came to a full stop at a signal the car completely died - no lights displayed on the dash. Second time I was making a right hand turn at approx 5-10 mph and it died as I came out of turn. Both times it started right back up. Ford dealer did complete check and extended road test on 2-5-13 but could find nothing wrong and there were no computer errors generated. Both incidences the failure occured during heavy traffic on major streets within the city. My concern (other then it dying) is that nothing lit up or displayed on the dash to indicate the engine was not running. It wasn't until I put on foot on the gas pedal I realized it was not running.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 282012

Fusion

I was driving on the highway at a steady speed when all of a sudden, the gas pedal stopped responding, almost as if I was in neutral. I was able to get over to the shoulder. It took a few tries of restarting the car in order to get it going. The same incident happened again the next week.

- Dunellen, NJ, USA

Feb 142013

Fusion

While driving home the vehicle lost all acceleration and the wrench light came on. The rpms dropped to below 1000. I was able to safely pull over where the car shook and died out. I attempted to restart the vehicle and it would not start. I waited a few minutes and was able to get it started.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jun 292012

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down the highway going to work and the engine kept loosing power took it to Ford once and they said it was a bad fuse got it back and drove it to work again and the engine stalled out 7 times within 2 miles I had to have it towed back to Ford and they said my throttle body broke and needed replaced.

- North Manchester, IN, USA

Aug 022012

Fusion 6-cyl

3.0L engine stalling out. Had to replace throttle body for $355.78.

- Troy, MI, USA