2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 31 of 32)

Jun 132012

Fusion

I and my children were traveling down the highway at 60 mph and I all of a sudden I could not give the car any gas. The motor was still running but I had no control over the gas. So I coasted until I could pull over. As I slowed down, the car shuttered. I turned the car off and restarted it. It ran fine for awhile. Then it happened again and again (as I was entering an intersection, turning onto a major highway, and rounding a curve) until it was happening 3-4 times in a trip. I took the vehicle in to the dealership and they cleaned the throttle body. It ran ok for about 2 weeks and then became worse than it was before. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the throttle body. So now time will tell. I was/am concerned about the fact I might not have been so lucky to be able to get off of the road and could have been in an accident. I have seen that this is a common occurrence in the 2010 Ford Fusion. I have contacted Ford Motor Company as well to no avail.

- South Boston, VA, USA

Jul 092012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated abnormally before stalling. The check engine and wrench warning lights were illuminated on the instrument panel during the failure. The contact was able to restart the vehicle as the vehicle resumed normal operation. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer but the vehicle was not repaired. The cause of the failure was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 89,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jul 082012

Fusion

Today I was at a red light when my car decided to act up. The light had just turned green and I had started to drive when all of the sudden my car lost power. It struggled then just stalled right in the middle of traffic. I looked at the dash and I noticed the wrench light came on. While I was trying not to die in traffic I put my car into neutral where I turned the key to the off position then back to the on position. Luckily my car came back on but it was still struggling. I managed to get the car to a nearby parking lot where turned it off again. I gave it a few minutes to recover then turned it back on again. Everything now appeared to working normal. I opened the hood to make sure everything seamed okay (nothing burning, smoking, or anything else out of the ordinary), everything checked out okay. Also I would like to mention that my transmission sometimes fails to go into gear then all the sudden it goes into gear and jerks really hard. Additionally my lower gears will shift very hard. When it shifts it acts as if someone had pushed in the clutch for to long then it goes into gear.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 022012

Fusion

I was traveling uphill on a rural road when my car started shaking and would not accelerate. The wrench light came on followed by the engine light. I pulled off the road as far as I could turned the car off and back on it went a little further and started shaking again. I was on a blind curve on a road that is narrow and traveled faster than it should be fortunately I was able to coax the car to an area where the road opens up a little. I had to leave the car overnight and someone chose to vandalize it. I had it towed to the dealer who was a little rude when I talked to them. The dealer said it was the electronic throttle body and it is not something covered by Ford. So now I have to pay for this part and labor cost and my deductible for the vandalization. With so many other complaints posted here I don't understand why nothing is being done.

- Home, PA, USA

Jul 032012

Fusion 4-cyl

While stopped with foot on break - the engine began to rev and the car began to lurch forward. I had to keep pressing harder on the brake I looked down to be sure I did not have my foot on the gas and I did not. I had to put the car in park and turn off the ignition to get the car to stop reving up and lurching forward. My wife told me she had a similar incident with the engine reving up when she had the car on cruise control but it only lasted a few moments, in that incident she was going 60. Also, we do not have the floor mats that we read about in other posts online.

- New Carlisle, IN, USA

Jun 022012

Fusion 6-cyl

I was sitting at a red light, when the light turned green I accelerated through the light. Upon making the turn, the car stalled (shuddered, and although applying the gas, nothing happened) and the 'wrench' icon illuminated. I pulled over to the side of the road (thankfully there was little traffic at this time of day), turned the car off, waited a minute, and re-started the car. The average speed for that day was 30mph, through neighborhoods and light commercial area. The car stalled once again (about 10 minutes later) while at a stop sign, at another intersection. I was able to restart the car again, and took it to my mechanic. The stalling has reoccurred multiple times, even when slowing, but not stopping, and attempting to resume speed. The diagnosis was the throttle body. The mechanic replaced the throttle body, the throttle sensor (on advice from the Ford dealership in the area), and after 1 month of this issue reoccurring, had the Ford dealership 'flash' the computer. This has still not solved the problem. Typically after 2 days of retrieving the vehicle from the mechanic, the same stalling with the wrench icon occurs. This is a safety issue! many vehicles are stalling in traffic, and accidents will occur!

- Spring, TX, USA

Apr 252012

Fusion 4-cyl

The first time, the car was pulling on to a main road going up to 15 mph while turning right. The car began to shudder, stall (only able to coast to a stop), many warning lights including the wrench light came on and dinged. After shutting the key off and waiting up to a couple of minutes, engine started fine and drove normally. 1 month later, this exact scenario happened again while turning right from a complete stop. 1 month later, it happened again but with only the yellow wrench light coming on (the car was curving to the right at about 40 mph). 2 days later the car did the same thing at about 35 mph. This time the car would start up, and be fine until we accelerated. We narrowly avoided an accident when the car did the same thing a second time. It then did it a third time and we waited to start the car. We were then able to drive the car home normally with a code alert on the dash. I took the car to get a diagnosis and they showed code P2111.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

The car had run fine on my way to work and leaving for lunch. It would not start when I tried to return from lunch. Same problem as last month, it would not start until the third try.

- Maynardville, TN, USA

May 112012

Fusion 4-cyl

The car would not start on the first two tries and I let it sit a moment and it started on the third try.

- Maynardville, TN, USA

Jun 162012

Fusion 6-cyl

On Saturday June 16th I was traveling North bound I-75 from rockcastle co. Ky to madison co ky which is about 45 miles. Was traveling 65 miles mph and suddenly the engine shut off. There was a semi in the right lane, we were in the middle lane with one semi in back of us. We were able to coast to the emergency side of the road. The semi in back of us locked his brake and almost hit us. I shut the car off and restarted it and drove in the slow lane and it happened 3 more times. I then left the car at my mother in-law's house and borrowed a car to get home in as I was afraid to drive it and put myself at risk plus someone's life at risk. On Monday, 6-18-12 I got the car to the dealership and the mechanic test drove it and it happened to him. I pulled up on the internet and saw that I am not the only one this has happened to. It definitely is a life ending crash getting ready to happen. Of course my vehicle is out of warranty as of 35000 miles, but that is not my issue. I would hate to see someone lose their life due a malfunction of a throttle body. Ford needs to step up to the plate and admit that know of this issue and fix it before someone loses their life or a child's life. The foreign makers such as Toyota stepped up and Ford needs to do so also. This is the fourth automobile I have brought from them and try to stay with the american made cars. Safety should be their concern instead of the almighty dollar.

- Mount Vernon, KY, USA

Jun 112012

Fusion

Driving in the left lane of a multi-lane road. The light had just gone yellow and all of a sudden the engine hicupped hard and I had no response to the gas pedal at all, plus the check engine light (wrench icon) came on. Put on my signal and pulled into the left turn lane as it was empty. I didn't want to block the left lane, it was the start of rush hour traffic. I came to a stop and had no vehicle movement in response to stepping on the gas pedal. I put the vehicle in park, turned off the engine and tried to restart it. The check engine light went away and the car started and acted normal. I stopped at the store on the way home, then on the way from the store to home it happened again. I had to stop the vehicle and put it in park and turn it off in order for it to start again. When I got home I put a code reader on the vehicle, but it showed no code. It did it again on my way to work in the morning and again on the way home after work. Each time I have to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road and come to a complete stop, put it in park and turn it off and back on to get it to start again. This is extremely dangerous for me and anyone around me. I take my vehicle to Ford for servicing and they say no recalls are in place for this. I enter the symptoms into the search engine of the internet and find numerous complaints from other owners and drivers of the same defect. There is a problem with the electronic throttle body. I called my local Ford dealer and they say that first they have to run tests to verify the throttle body is the problem and I will be charged for that, because the code resets each time. The total bill will be $600 to $700. They have dealt with it before, but Ford has nothing in place to address it as a safety issue. Please don't wait til someone gets hurt or possibly killed before this matter is taken seriously and proper measures are taken.

- Waynesville, MO, USA

Jun 112012

Fusion 6-cyl

I was just leaving my neighborhood and just got down to the end of the road, when all of a sudden I feel this really bad shaking, had no acceleration when pressed on gas and car kept jerking until I finally had to shut it off. I did research on it immediately and found out that this is a throttle body issue that has become very relevant with my car make/model. This is very dangerous! if I was in heavy traffic or god forbid had kids in the car, this could have caused a major accident! this recall needs to be taken seriously and addressed fast!!!!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 072012

Fusion 4-cyl

Multiple times the engine just dies due to a faulty throttle body - you must come to a complete stop and put the car in park to restart. We have a fleet of these and lots of them have this very dangerous problem. Please help...

- Jamison, PA, USA

Mar 092012

Fusion 4WD 6-cyl

Engine began shutting down while moving in morning rush hour. Also surges forward and runs thru multiple gears while in stop and go traffic with light, if any throttle applied. On 6-8-12 engine went into failsafe mode, 1100 RPM while traveling at 60 mph. No response from throttle, had to manipulate thru traffic to beach car upon shoulder of road. After shutting off key and restarting, vehicle seemed fine, but same situation happened twice more within minutes. Drove car to nearest Ford dealer who "cleared the old codes" and test drove, finding no further issue. Billed me under esp service agreement, and continued onto work. Leaving work to make deliveries, car initiated exactly same response as earlier (5 times), at various speeds, and again, heavy traffic. Took to dealer I bought car from, who immediately claimed it needed a new throttle body, which are on national back-order, delivery date unknown. Referred to another dealer who had open bays and a throttle body in stock, but for some reason was uninterested in even looking at the car. Offered to leave car, esp offers rental, so I could return to work, but that part has become uncovered by the extended warranty, and they still had no interest in fixing car after I agreed to pay myself. Transmission has a quirky problem of downshifting aggressively when traveling downhill, up-shifting rapidly in slow moving traffic, and now a throttle body problem which causes car to go into a no power situation while at speed.

- Union Grove, AL, USA

Dec 282009

Fusion 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion with a six cylinder engine. While driving, I started speeding up from an intersection, only to experience a complete and total loss of power, the wrench light came, the engine started misfiring (rough idle at less than 700 RPM), but all systems where still working. Pressing the gas pedal produced no results. I was able to pull off the side of the road, stop the engine, let the car sit for about 45 seconds, and then restarted it. When the engine restarted, the car started up and ran like nothing had happened. Last Thursday and Friday, the Fusion did the exact same thing, I had a catastrophic loss of power, the wrench light came on again, the engine was misfiring (rough idle), the rest of the systems continued working. I was able to pull off the road, stop the car, and then restart. This is third time I take to the dealer, and still received not diagnostic. Actually this vehicle is in the dealer workshop (automovilistica veracruzana sa de cv. Av lafragua 2100 tel 011 52 229 9231920 veracruz, Mexico). The first and second visit to the dealer the diagnostic was no problem.

- Brownsville, Tx., TX, USA

Mar 142012

Fusion

While attempting to accelerate, automatic transmission stalls and wrench light illuminates. At first I could turn the car off and back on, but eventually, the car stopped functioning altogether. Analysis was performed and throttle body was the cause. Has occurred with other 2010 Fusion sels. Ford unwilling to replace faulty manufactured part.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 032012

Fusion

I was driving at approximately 45 mph, when car decelerated, and started to stall. A wrench light was on, and I was able to slowly make my way to a driveway off of the main highway. I turned off the engine, waited for a few minutes before starting the car and making my way home. I plan to take to Ford dealer tomorrow. However, it appears, based on many, many complaints, that this is an issue with the throttle body. Ford needs to recall/replace this part. My 19-year-old daughter drives this car, and safety is a major issue!

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Apr 252012

Fusion 4-cyl

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion with a four cylinder engine. While driving to work, I started speeding up from an intersection, only to experience a complete and total loss of power, the wrench light came, the engine started misfiring (rough idle at less than 550 RPM), but all systems where still working. Pressing the gas pedal produced no results. I was able to pull off the side of the road, stop the engine, let the car sit for about 15 seconds, and then restarted it. When the engine restarted, the car started up and ran like nothing had happened. Yesterday (June 1st), the Fusion did the exact same thing, except this time I was pulling into an intersection (approximately 5 miles per hour). I had a catastrophic loss of power, the wrench light came on again, the engine was misfiring (rough idle), the rest of the systems continued working. Luckily no one was coming in my direction and I was able to pull off the road into a parking lot, stop the car, and then restart it. I took it to the dealer today and they diagnosed it as needing a new throttle body. They quoted the price and labor at $400 for the repair. I've had this car less than 1 year and it only has 49,800 miles on it. If I had been pulling onto a busy street and experienced the same loss of power, it could have been a much more dangerous situation. According to my research, this is a common problem with the 2010 Ford Fusion, and the replacement part has been "redesigned" according to the dealer where I took my car for repair.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 312012

Fusion 4-cyl

While accelerating from a stop the engine suddenly cut out and began a rough idle. The check engine light and the wrench light came on. The engine would not rev even with the gas pedal pushed in. Coasted to a stop. Turned the ignition off and then restarted the car. The check engine light and wrench light were no longer lit. Started to accelerate away and then it happened again with the check engine light and wrench light on. I was able to idle home. Once at home I turned the ignition off and started it back up. This time the check engine light came on but not the wrench. While in park I would rev the engine and it sounded fine and could not get the engine to shut down while revving. I didn't move the car and had it towed. Fortunately it has only 32707 miles on it and covered by warranty. So, will have to wait to find out what the cause is. Based on other complaints and their follow-up it sounds like the throttle body issue.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 142012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was traveling 70 mph when the vehicle stalled. The contact safely maneuvered to the shoulder and stopped the vehicle. The check engine light illuminated during the failure. The contact was able to successfully restart the vehicle and continue driving. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Loganville, GA, USA