Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 16 of 38)

Aug 212013

I was driving on the highway at about 65 mph when my vehicle lost power. Pushing the gas did nothing. I had to coast off the side of the road. Restarting my vehicle seemed to resolve the issue. The second incident was in town. I was driving about 35 mph when my vehicle lost power. I pulled off to the side, the vehicle sputtered as if it might die. I turned off the engine and then restarted it. I drove about 1/4 mile to my mechanic who was unable to diagnose the problem with his scanner. He thinks it is the " drive by wire " or a sensor.

- Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Aug 072013

We just bought the car the day before and as my son backed it out of the driveway the car lost power. After turning the engine off and on again he was able to drive the car normally. The car was driven without any problems for about two weeks. But after about two weeks, the car was being driven at about 40mph when it suddenly lost power. After coasting to the side of the road and turning the engine off and on again it briefly regained power but the car went only about 100ft before losing power again. After letting the car sit for 20 minutes we were able to start it and drive the remaining half mile home. We had dismissed the first incident as possibly being a mistake on the part of my son driving an unfamiliar vehicle and perhaps not shifting properly when backing out of the driveway. But the second incident was clearly an indication of a failure on the part of the vehicle. It was not safe to drive. Although the problem was intermittent, a loss in power could happen at any time and could potentially leave us helpless without power in a dangerous situation. We had the car towed to a Ford dealer who determined that the problem was a bad throttle body. They replaced it at a cost to us of $537. A throttle body that fails at less than 100,000 miles is defective and should be recalled because of the safety issue.

- Midland, MI, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an authorized dealer where the faulty throttle body was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000. Updated 10/17/13

- Racine , WI, USA

Aug 222013

Throttle actuator control system is stuck open.

- Midwest, OK, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

Six months after purchasing my Fusion brand new, it left me stranded 6 hours away from home on the side of the road with a wrench light on and no acceleration. After a tremendous tow bill that Ford would not cover (yes I have the extended warranty) I had my car brought to my local dealer and found to be and replaced the throttle body. Yesterday on my way to work, it started doing the sputtering and jerking again and that wrench light came on and I lost all power control to my vehicle. Thankfully I was able to make it to the side of the road. After a few mins it did crank back and I was able to drive about 15 miles before it did it again and this time my engine light came on. Now my local Ford dealership is saying all I can do is pay to have it fixed again because my extended warranty just ran out and it is going to be expensive. I don't understand why a recurring problem can't be fixed. It is very unsafe to have a car do this while on a highway. Especially when you have kids in the car like I do.

- Clarendon, NC, USA

Aug 132013

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving down the interstate and I pushed the gas pedal but the car would not accelerate. This happened twice within 2 miles. I took the car to a local garage and they said it was the throttle body. I took the vehicle to my local Ford dealership and paid for it to be fixed because the car was no longer under warranty. Hopefully if there is a recall, I can get reimbursed for my repair bill.

- Covington, GA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife and son were in the car and had stopped at a busy 4-way stop intersection. With no prior warning the car started to shake and the check engine light and battery light came on. The power steering was barely working and the car stalled just past the intersection. They were able to restart the car, but the minute the car was put in drive it would start shaking etc.... we had to have the car towed back to van bortel Ford in East rochester NY for repairs. The dealership stated that we needed a new throttle body ($465.34) and a new battery ($123.90) on a 3 year old car. They indicated they new of a possible recall and told us to hang on to our receipt for a refund if the recall happens.

- Penfiled, NY, USA

Aug 122013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Township , NJ, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

First incident was vehicle stalled while entering a intersection from a stop sign. Stalled half way into intersection and had a near miss of being hit do to loss of power and other traffic not having to stop in their direction. Car was dieseling when it came to a stop, had to be shut off, then restarted with no problems or indicator lights afterward. This same stalling has happened at highway speeds of 60 mph + and on side roads at 30 mph. From stops to full power going up hills or trying to pass another car. No power to move car exist once it has happened, you must come to a complete stop, shut completely off and then restart. This has happened at least a dozen times over last few weeks.took to dealer today and was told throttle body is showing a fault and parts can only be received by overnight delivery "as this part is in very high demand and they can't order one in and get it by regular delivery".

- Topeka, KS, USA

Aug 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving West bound I-275 in northern Kentucky, near I-71 when the vehicle lost power. I narrowly missed being hit by other vehicles as I moved to the emergency lane. Turned the car off and then on and everything seemed normal. I drove to a nearby Ford dealership and they stated the problem was likely a defective throttle body. They replaced the throttle body and I have not had any further problems. Based on internet search, this is a common problem and one that is a safety issue. Please issue a recall.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Jun 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Pulled out into traffic and my car lost all acceleration and began to shudder when I got it to the shoulder. Turned it off, and back on: No issue. Less than 40 yards down the road it did it again. Took it to auto zone, the only code that came up was that my "fuel door stuck open". which is impossible, because it came with a "racing cap" I.e no twist-off cap. Drove fine for two months, then came back something awful to the tune of freeway 75mph to zero, at which point it went into "limp mode" and barely made it home due to numerous stalls. Just had to replace this defective throttle body on a 3-year old car. Ridiculous Ford. Also, my drivers' side interior door handle broke out of nowhere.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate the car RPM jumped and the car proceeded to shake a bit. When I tried to give the car gas nothing happened. We had to pull off to the side of the road, when the car began to shake much harder. We were forced to turn the car off, wait a moment a turn the car back on. It has done this two us a couple of times while we wait for the part to come in.

- New Providence , PA, USA

Jun 082013

Like most of the complaints I read on- line and was able to diagnose the problem myself a 55 year old female, I was driving and all the sudden my engine was still running but had no acceleration the pedal was worthless, luckily I was able to coast off the road without being slammed into by other cars and then when I came to complete stop the car started shaking uncontrollably and then the engine died. I put in park and turned off ignition then I restarted and I was able to drive a few miles then it happened again. I had to restart 4 times to make it home and I was lucky to be in my home town when this happened because I make a lot of two hundred mile trips. I googled online and found out that other owners of this lemon vehicle has had the same problem. Ford dealership wanted close to $700 to diagnose and replace the throttle body, parts and labor. I'm recently divorced and unemployed and could not afford this ridiculous amount for something that takes less then 10 min. To change, I bought a new one for $172 and did it myself couldn't be easier. Ford should be ashamed for not recalling all VIN numbers mine wasn't included in recall, thank god someone posted on utube how to change it. Shame on Ford this is a safety issue and hope no one gets killed in a traffic accident when this happens.

- Porterville, CA, USA

Aug 062013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road and was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 56,000.

- Anderson , IN, USA

Aug 192013

Fusion 4-cyl

Ford Fusion 2010 has defective engine fuel system/computer identifying the throttle body as the non-functional part causing a safety hazard to self and others. At 60 mph freeway speed the car goes into an instant "low RPM mode", causing complete loss of foot pedal control and RPM immediately reduced to 800. At this point the car is an unguided missile looking to strike something. The power steering is non existent. My car did this on 8-19-2013 with only 12303 miles on it. This has to be an electrical malfunction of the throttle body sensing circuitry being defective. It is only a little more time until this gets someone killed. After stopping with a dead engine, starting again results in very rough idling and no more than 800 RPM, which is incapable of moving the car. Shutoff the ignition, check and have good oil and transmission and cooling levels. Started the car again and it was back to normal, until one block later at a stop light......same thing again. If Ford does not do a recall on this, they will have to spend money on the relatives of the dead people's lawsuits!

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

Ever since 80,000 miles on my car has hit I've been having throttle body issues. At first it was only once in a while when shifting between 2nd and 3rd my RPM needle would bouce and feel the gears having troubles changing. At that point when the car was unable to shift the mechanic light would turn on and disengage my car not allowing me to use the gas. After pulling over the car would still rev and shake to move forward. Upon putting the car in park and turning off all was needed was to re-start the car and would be good. Only until recently the problem only increased. I had a 30 minute commute that took 1 hour and since the car would disengage I had to swerve and vear traffic just to pull over into a safe location. My car during my last trip stalled a total of 19 times in 1 trip, please demand a recall as I can see per the internet I'm not the only one.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 122013

While driving on the highway, the car suddenly lost all power to accelerate and drifted to a stop. The problem did not persist after re-starting the vehicle. However, the failure occurred several more times under similar conditions (highway driving, 30-60 minute trips). When I took the vehicle in for repair I learned it was an issue with the throttle body (part number 9E926) and that the part would need to be replaced and was not covered under 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. I am filing this complaint after learning other Fusion and Ford models were having similar throttle body problems and as such the issue should lead to a recall.

- Boston, MA, USA

Aug 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was stopped and restarted several minutes later and operated as designed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but no cause for the failure was found. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the electric throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 45,000. Updated 10/22/13

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate. The failure recurred intermittently while driving at different speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

Jul 092013

Driving down highway at 70 mph, wrench light came out, car died down to 900 RPM and fluctuated erratically with no gas pedal response at all. Dodged several cars trying to avoid rear end collision to pull off side of road to turn off and turn car back on, problem then went away and happened again roughly 20 miles again down the highway. Car will not drive past 20 miles without having an issue.

- Gold Hill, NC, USA