2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 26 of 38)

Fusion

While driving at 45mph the car jerked and lost thrust. The wrench light came on and I coasted as far as I could get. The engine did not seem to be running so I turned the key off and waited 20 seconds or so and attempted to start the vehicle. The car cranked many times but then started back up and was fine for the next 5 days. The first time this happened I brought the car to the Ford dealer and was told that they needed to check it out. Two days later they still had not looked at it so I took the car back. 5 days later it happened again but I came to a stop just around a corner and was concerned about being rear ended. I brought the car back to the dealer a second time and this time they looked at it. They said that the throttle body had to be replaced and that I was lucky that they had just received a shipment that day. The service associate said that this is a common problem and that these throttle bodies have been on back order for weeks. I had to pay for the diagnosis but it seems that this service should be done as a recall since there are so many problems. This is also a safety problem.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving down highway alternating in and out of traffic. At one point the traffic opens. I step on the gas and nothing happens. The car sputters and nearly stalls. I'm able to coast it into the breakdown lane, where it sits and sputters. I shut the car off, restarted it, and it seems to be fine. I drive to a restaurant and have dinner. The car sits for an hour. I get back in and the car drives for a few minutes, then stutters, nearly stalls, and limps along again. I restart the car again, and again it's fine. My wife has also indicated engine racing in first gear. Internet research indicates this is a very common issue with Ford's throttle bodies of this model / timeframe.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion

While driving about 45mpg my car 'stalled'. sudden loss of acceleration but motor was still running, wrench light popped on. I pulled over and let the car sit for a few minutes and upon restarting it the car ran ok. Took it to discount auto and pulled no codes. Thouht it was a fluke. It has happened 2 more times in the last 2 weeks. The last time it happened I was puttering to the shoulder of the road and was almost hit by an oncoming car. My 3 children and husband were in the car. Took it to mechanic and was told I will need to replace throttle body but it is on back order for 2-4 weeks, possibly more. In the meantime I refuse to put my daughters back in this deathtrap Ford calls a car. And like most people we can only afford one car so this is a huge inconveince to us. How many more cases need to be filed, how many more teriffied consumers will it take before a recall is done"!" plus drivetrain warranties supposedly do not cover these repairs. I come from a looong line of Ford family but I am counting down the days until I can get out of this car.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 172013

Fusion

My husband was speeding up to pass someone when the car lost power and stopped accelerating. The vehicle behind him almost hit him because the car slowed down so rapidly. We contacted Ford and they said it was the throttle body. They've had the car for almost 2 weeks-the part is on back-order.

- Agawam, MA, USA

Fusion

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion on the interstate at approximately 65 mph when without warning the car began to jerk and decelerate. A wrench light came on. I was not able to accelerate at all. I was able to get the car safely off of the road at which point it shut off. Upon restarting the engine the car continued to jerk and the engine light came on. I waited approximately 10 minutes and restarted the car again. This time the engine light stayed on but the car was drivable and I was able to make it home. I had my car to the Ford dealership July 1 and was told that the car needed a new throttle body which the dealership said was on backorder. Upon learning this, I researched this issue on the internet and found that others have had this some thing happen to them. This is a major safety hazard and it needs to be corrected before someone is not able to get their car off of the road when this situation occurs.

- Saint Marys, OH, USA

Jun 132013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder where the vehicle was shut down and restarted. The contact also mentioned that the failure was experienced multiple times. The vehicle was taken dealer where it was determined that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway with my child when my car started jerking and the vehicle lost all power. I had to hurry and put my flashers on and try to get on the side of the road. The jerking caused my driver side seatbelt to pull tight and left marks on my shoulder. A wrench light by the park button came on and was lighted up. I put the car in park and restarted it. The car started and I proceeded to head to the dealership. The car did the exact same thing but this time the check engine light came on. I pulled over and had my car towed to the dealership. This morning they called and said my throttle body needs replaced. The service dept told me they have replaced several of these the last few months and the parts are on back order. He said it can be 7-10 days before the part comes in. This part needs to be recalled. Any passenger can get seriously hurt or injured if going high speeds on the interstate when this part goes out. Ford needs to do a voluntary recall but if not, the NHTSA needs to.

- Lonsdale, AR, USA

Oct 172009

Fusion 6-cyl

When I first purchased my vehicle I had an incident where when I went to hit the gas the car stalled. At least I thought. Brought it to Ford on a couple of occasions an were never able to find the problem as they could not re-enact the issue. Then time went on it seemed ok. Approximately a year ago I was traveling at approx 40-50mph and when I hit the gas pedal it wouldn't drive it just sort of putted but didn't turn off. I was able to get to the shoulder and turn car off restart and went. Brought it to my local service station who said they could not find anything as it did not happen when they took for ride. I had it happen again the next day only traveling at approx. 25 mph and called Ford. Brought it in and again was told they found nothing and that maybe it was a bad tank of gas. The best way I can describe is that it feels almost like the gas isn't getting where it needs to go and the car wont go. This past Thursday on my way home from work at traffic hour on a major 5 lane highway I was doing about 55mph and it happened. I was able to get into the right lane put my flashers on. I took a breath as I was worried I was gonna get hit by the on fast moving traffic. I turned the car off and on again, and fine. No error lights no nothing. I begin to proceed again praying it would get me home. I now am at aprox. 55 mph and it does it again. This time I am in the right lane of the highway with an oncoming lane and no where to go. Put my flashers on, scared out of my mind call for help. Police come and I am sitting in fast moving traffic praying not to be hit.. the officer asks if I am out of gas I say no, I have approx. 150 miles to empty. He asks me to turn car on and it starts. He follows me to get me to a safe place to wait for help. I was towed home and the earliest Ford could see me is the 3rd. I have 2 children & we are not safe in this car. Help

- Pompton Lakes, NJ, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving at night and the car stalled in the middle of an intersection, as I was accelerating from a full stop. I let the car roll through the intersection, and come to a full stop. The car had very ruff idle while stopped, and the accelerator was still unresponsive. I shut-off the car for few mins, and re-fired the engine. It started, but few mins later, stalled again. This time the check engine light and the service wrench were both illuminated. I was able to drive the car home, 40 miles and then to dealer for the repairs. During the driving to home and the dealer the car stalled a number of times. The speed did not seem to matter when the car stalled. I took the car to the dealer and they have to replace the engine's throttle body assembly. The throttle body replacement also required a reprogram of PCM. I also, did some research and others having this problem too and you all have an investigation underway, www.nbcnews.com/business/1-3-million-Ford-Toyota-Honda-under-investigation-1C8536130. I hope this repair works, but it was very crazy to have the car stall while travel on the highway.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Fusion

On the highway traveling at 65 mpg with cruise control on, the car jerked. The yellow wrench came on. I had no acceleration and car was bucking. I rolled to the break down lane put it in park and it continued to buck. Turned key off. Turned back on. It was like hitting the reset button. Drove another 15 miles and it happened again. It did it a third time. Still 45 miles away I reduce speed to 55 trying not to touch the accelerator and was able to get it home. Lucky for our family we were not on a busy highway or we would have been caught dead in the middle. There was no acceleration. All we could do is cruise to a stop. Very dangerous and scary situation. It was diagnosed as the throttle body by Ford.

- Wilbraham, MA, USA

Apr 172012

Fusion

My 2010 Fusion has a defective throttle body. I have contacted Ford about this issue and I get the answer that its my problem not theirs. I have been waiting for a part to fix this that has been on back order since April but of course this will be at my expense. I see that this problem is effecting hundreds of other 2010 Fusion and would like to know why this would not reach recall status? it also will accelerate on its own which in its self is a major safety concern.

- Georgetown , KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Car went into limp mode (all electric functions on and car running, but no acceleration) as I exited the freeway. Car began shaking when stopped in parking lot off of road. I turned the car off, and restarted about 5 minutes later. Car did the same thing when attempting to reach 30-35 mph. Pulled into apartment complex, waited, and restarted. Care failed two more times within a 3 mile distance, and was restarted. Wrench light vanished after restart, but engine light now remains on. Reporting due to ongoing investigation with throttle bodies for Ford vehicles. Researched this issue online.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

1.was in slow lane, vehicle slowed down suddenly. Turned off engine and started it again 2. May 1? was on residential street ( 30 mph. Vehicle slowed down suddenly and then started shaking. Turned off engine and started it again 3.May 15 was driving 55 mph on busy curvy street in fast lane. Wrench light came on and slowed suddenly, turned on flashers..moved to the extreme right hand side. Nearly got hit by speeding car in the right lane as there was a narrow shoulder. 4. May 30, my husband was driving in the slow lane of freeway. Wrench light came on, I put on the flashers, and car slowed suddenly. He was able to get out of traffic. Turned off engine and turned it back on again 5. June 24, 2013. My husband was driving 65 in the fast lane of busy hwy 99. Wrench light came on, and vehicle suddenly slowed down. I put on flashers. He maneuvered to the slow lane, where speeding semi truck honked at us and nearly hit us. 6 June 28,2013 I was driving on a residential street at 35 mph when wrench came on, and vehicle I suddenly slowed down and I moved to the side of the street., turned off the engine, and restarted the car. Why is all the information about the cause of the error code (wrench) erased when car is turned off"????"

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on an interstate hwy in cruise control, the engine began to misfire and lost most of the power. I shifted into neutral, still missing and little power. The wrench light came on and per the owners manual is the throttle control/transmission issue I shut the engine down and after a few minutes, restarted the engine. Everything then ran smoothly for the rest of the 20 mile trip will take car to Ford dealer.

- York, PA, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was driving to the store my car stalled, there was a complete loss of power. A wrench symbol appeared as well as the check engine light. After restarting the vehicle I was able to move another 200 feet before it happened again, repeatedly I would need to put it in park, shut off the vehicle and begin again. This has happened about 10 times since last night. I am not unable to safely travel to work or any other location due to this situation.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jun 272013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down highway at 65mph when the engine jerked and car stopped accelerating. Luckily there was no one to the right of me so I was able to pull over. Once on the side of the road, the car started to jerk violently even while in park. I had it towed to a Ford dealership and was told the throttle body assembly was defective. I could have died!

- Andover, MN, USA

Feb 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling at highway speeds car will stall and have no power. Found to be throttle body sensor. Ford claims that there was no problem with the throttle body, but if you search the internet you can see several of cases involving the same problem. I feel Ford should have to repair under a recall because of such a wide spread problem. This is a huge safety concern when traveling and highway speeds and you lose power.

- Newport, DE, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion

Car was stopped at stop light. When light turned green, the car would not accelerate, but only creep along. Fortunately, there was a parking lot just across the intersection where car was stopped. Towed to dealer where they told us it needed a new electronic throttle.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jun 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving, the car jerked and the rpms dropped and I could not accelerate. I was able to get the car to the side of the highway and noticed that the wrench light had turned on. I put the car in park, shut off the engine, waited a few seconds and started the care again. No lights were on so I got back on the highway for it to happen again a mile down the road. This happens occasionally (roughly 15 times in the last 3 weeks) and sometimes the wrench light comes on, sometimes it's the engine light and sometimes it's the battery light. This occurs no matter the speed, no matter the temperature, no matter the number of things using the battery (because the battery light came on a few times). It is completely random and got it to the shop to tell us it was code P2111, something with the throttle body. It needs replaced, so they say - but is on national back order.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Feb 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

***throttle body**** during several times of driving at low speeds, I accelerated and the RPM on the car jumped suddenly and stuck at a high position for several seconds in which the car slowed to a stop. The "wrench" light then came on and after turning the car off and on I was able to maintain use of it. This is happening frequently.

- La Grange Park, IL, USA