Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 36 of 38)

Jun 202012

On take off in heavy traffic the transmission slipped and jerked hard. I was frightened and pulled over for about 20 minutes to call my dad whom is a mechanic. He stated that it was the transmission and that I should drive it home which was a hour away. I was scared that it would do it again at full speed. 2 days later as I tried to reverse out of my driveway the car revved up but didn't move then jerked into gear and I flew out the driveway very hard and jerking violently. I don't want to drive with my niece or my little 4 year old brother in case of something dangerous. I haven't experienced this ever with a vehicle. I plan to take the car in immediately! I have been driving another car for the moment. Because I have to travel alot.

- Garrison, MN, USA

Jul 032012

Fusion 4-cyl

While stopped with foot on break - the engine began to rev and the car began to lurch forward. I had to keep pressing harder on the brake I looked down to be sure I did not have my foot on the gas and I did not. I had to put the car in park and turn off the ignition to get the car to stop reving up and lurching forward. My wife told me she had a similar incident with the engine reving up when she had the car on cruise control but it only lasted a few moments, in that incident she was going 60. Also, we do not have the floor mats that we read about in other posts online.

- New Carlisle, IN, USA

Jun 232012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 65 mph when the wrench warning symbol illumined. The contact also stated that the vehicle started decelerating and stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis and the dealer advised that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired.the manufacturer was contacted and stated that the vehicle was not under warranty. The failure and the current mileage was 42,000. The VIN was not available.

- Canton , OH, USA

Apr 252012

Fusion 4-cyl

The first time, the car was pulling on to a main road going up to 15 mph while turning right. The car began to shudder, stall (only able to coast to a stop), many warning lights including the wrench light came on and dinged. After shutting the key off and waiting up to a couple of minutes, engine started fine and drove normally. 1 month later, this exact scenario happened again while turning right from a complete stop. 1 month later, it happened again but with only the yellow wrench light coming on (the car was curving to the right at about 40 mph). 2 days later the car did the same thing at about 35 mph. This time the car would start up, and be fine until we accelerated. We narrowly avoided an accident when the car did the same thing a second time. It then did it a third time and we waited to start the car. We were then able to drive the car home normally with a code alert on the dash. I took the car to get a diagnosis and they showed code P2111.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 282012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the engine stalled with the illumination of the wrench symbol, and engine warning indicators. The vehicle restarted after two attempts. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the throttle body assembly was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 44,500.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jun 272012

Fusion 6-cyl

While traveling in traffic the car lost power. I was able to steer to the shoulder of the road where the car idled roughly and I noticed a "wrench" light came on. I shut the car down while I collected my thoughts on what to do. I used my phone to find the closest Ford dealer and, before calling for a tow vehicle, I tried to restart the car. It restarted, the wrench light was off, and it seemed to run fine. I drove directly to the nearest Ford dealer without incident where they hooked up the computer to see what was wrong. They could find nothing wrong and suggested the next time it happened to try and get it to a dealer while the light was on. I then drove approximately 120 miles home with my grandson. This morning I went on the internet to see if there were any similar instances such as mind and found there were quite a few: () the incidents others reported were almost identical to mine. I then called the dealer I bought the car from new, and they ran a check to see if there were any recalls on my model and there weren't. they suggested I call Ford customer service. I tried calling them and was told by a representative they were having "technical issues" and couldn't help me, to call back in an hour. I live in a very rural area. The closest Ford dealer is probably 50-60miles away. The roads here don't have much room to pull off on if the car fails again. Judging by the complaints I have seen online, it seems there is a problem with this car and there should be some action being taken to remedy it. This situation creates a safety hazard for anyone driving or riding in the car.

- Hague, VA, USA

Jun 252012

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my car it suddenly jerked and stopped like I had turned it off. I coasted to side of road it was still running could not give it any gas a wrench light came on. I turned off car and restarted it, and it came back on, and the wrench light went off. Drove it on home it jumped and jerked like it was going to quit at any moment. I then took it to my dealership they ran a diagnostic test on it said it was throttle body but was not covered under my warranty. I have had no problems with this car since purchasing it but have only had it less than a year. I am concerned with a serious accident happening because it just shuts off the gas and I cannot move it or get it out of traffic.

- Rome, GA, USA

Jun 192012

Over the last couple weeks I have noticed slight jerks or sputters when I'm driving. Speed ranges anywhere from 10-70 mph when it occurs. This morning on the highway it was much more noticeable and after about 10 miles the wrench light came on and I lost all acceleration, luckily the right lane was clear and I could get to the shoulder safely. As I slowed down the engine shook heavily and I turned the car off. I waited a couple minutes and restarted the car light, no shaking. I was able to drive the 3.5 miles to work. Same day, driving home I made it about 10 miles again and the same thing happened. I waited a couple minutes, restarted and made it to a shop a couple miles down the road (still could feel the jerking slightly but the light didn't come on and I didn't lose acceleration). Once I got there and they hooked up the diagnostic machine they could not read any codes, which is very common from what I'm reading about other Fusion owners who have this problem. They are going to drive it in the morning so they can read the code when the light comes on and hopefully determine if it is the throttle body. I am so frustrated as this car is barely 2 years old and apparently this is a very common and dangerous problem.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Jun 112012

Fusion 6-cyl

I was just leaving my neighborhood and just got down to the end of the road, when all of a sudden I feel this really bad shaking, had no acceleration when pressed on gas and car kept jerking until I finally had to shut it off. I did research on it immediately and found out that this is a throttle body issue that has become very relevant with my car make/model. This is very dangerous! if I was in heavy traffic or god forbid had kids in the car, this could have caused a major accident! this recall needs to be taken seriously and addressed fast!!!!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 032012

Without warning the car lost all ability to accelerate. This occurred several times over the course of two days, sometimes at speeds up to 70 mph. The car jerks, wrench light comes on, and there is no power from the gas pedal. A/C and radio work fine. After navigating thru traffic without power, we turn car off and back on, and it's good to go. But for how long? could be very dangerous, recall is necessary. Dealer says 2010 Fusion are "notorious" for this throttle body problem and charged $502 to correct it.

- Coweta, OK, USA

Jun 032012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the wrench warning symbol illuminated on continuously as the engine stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that the same malfunction occurred in 2010 and the throttle body was replaced by the dealer. The vehicle had not been diagnosed for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- West Monroe , LA, USA

May 292012

Fusion 4-cyl

Making a left hand turn from a complete stop onto a busy avenue when the "wrench light" on the dash light up, the car started to shudder & could not accelerate, and had to pull over to the side of the road. Turned car off and back on and it happened again within 1 mile. Drove to the home of a friend and had him go with me to try and figure out what was wrong. Car shook hard and nearly died when coming to a stop sign. After doing a google search of the problem I found it to be a very widespread problem and many times at 70 mph in heavy traffic even on new cars with as few as 1300 miles on them. This is very dangerous and only a matter of time before somebody dies. In many cases rather than losing the ability to accelerate, the opposite will happen and the car goes full throttle forward! there is an Avalanche of documentation on this problem and Ford refuses to do a safety recall. The NHTSA's sole reason to exist in the first place is safety and this is clearly unsafe. Rest assured that if the NHTSA does not force Ford to do a recall people will die. As for myself and several others I have been in contact with, we will be filing a lawsuit against Ford for their negligence and the NHTSA for failing to act despite the large volume of readily accessible information regarding this very serious safety issue.

- Ventura, CA, USA

May 272012

Fusion 6-cyl

Going about 75 mph with cruise on when problem occurred. The wrench light comes on and the car loses its acceleration completely. I pull over the side of the road. The engine would only turn 1000 RPM. The only way to fix it is to turn the car off and back on again. The wrench light will disappear after that and it'll start driving normally again. The problems seems to be with a bad throttle body assembly part. Contacted Ford about safety problem. Many examples on the internet of other owners with this problem with the 2010 Ford Fusion.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Apr 132012

Fusion 6-cyl

I drive approximately 30 miles on the highway to get to work. The day this problem first occurred, I got off the highway and came to a stop sign. I checked for traffic both directions. A car was coming from the left, and I was turning right. I knew with my car's acceleration I had plenty of space to pull out safely (it has a V6 engine, automatic transmission). I hit the gas and pulled out. The car did not accelerate as expected. I barely hit 5 mph and the tachometer redlined. I took my foot off the gas pedal and tried again. Same thing - redlined. The third time I tried, the car shuddered and finally shifted to the next gear. The car behind me was far enough away to slow down safely, but in a different situation they could have easily hit me. I just rolled out in front of them because the car didn't respond when I hit the gas. Immediately after that incident, I scheduled a service appointment at a Ford dealership. The first available appointment was two weeks out. I booked the appointment and continued to (cautiously) drive my car to work. The car ran rough even at constant highway speeds. Last night I dropped my car off at the dealership for the service appointment. I took the highway to get there. When I tried to accelerate to merge onto the highway, the problem occurred again. I rolled out into traffic at about 5 mph, hitting the gas pedal and getting nothing. Again, I was lucky that there was enough room between me and the approaching traffic. This problem could have easily caused a bad accident. My car is currently at the Ford dealership. I'm waiting for them to call back with a diagnosis.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 302012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, there was a complete loss of the engine power and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to maneuver to the side of the road, where the engine was turned off and then restarted. The vehicle resumed as normal. The failure occurred five times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on three different occasions for diagnosis. The third time a trouble code was detected and the throttle body was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Frostburg, MD, USA

May 012012

Fusion 6-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion car stalled and engine shut off in heavy traffic 2 mths ago. Had to pull over. Cranked it was fine. Days later, engine begins to crank every few days, slow at first but will start. Been going on since. 3 wks today, car powers down while driving 65 mph this morning on main int. Hwy.the wrench light came on dashboard. Car would not accelerate when I pressed the gas peddle. Had to "coast" to er lane. Car was running, but could not accelerate at all. When stopped, turned car off. Recranked engine. Wrench light went off, and drove to work fine. Took to dealer today. While explaining the issue, an employee overheard and said "do you drive a Fusion"" I said yes, he said its your throttle body. He says this without even looking at the car! confirmed it was throttle body part after inspection. Part was not in stock. Told I could drive car home. They would call when part comes in. Dealer called this evening and said my manf. Warranty was past time, and additional warranty tech would not cover throttle body part. Part expense $261 plus taxes and 30 minutes labor time to install. I'm disturbed to know Ford is aware and others are having this problem and I am extremely scared to drive this car knowing it stalled at 65 miles an hour!!! someone needs to pull these cars off the road and make the repairs to these vehicles. I have never owned an american made car. This is my first one. Some first impression. I will be trading this car as soon as I can. I am just so disappointed in Ford claiming the "built Ford tough" motto. This isn't tough, its dangerous! I've never owned a car where being less than 2yrs old, a part already has to be replaced? seriously?? Ford should pay attention to their complaints. How many complaints does it take to get a recall??????????" mine makes number 320........ a recall should be after 2 people are claiming the same thing.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Apr 262012

Fusion 4-cyl

Was going up a small hill about 30 miles an hour when the car started to lose power. Even with hitting the gas all I got was a jerk forward. I made it up the hill lurching forward all the way and got home (only a block). Research on the internet indicates this is a known problem with this car that really never gets fixed. What can I do? here are some links to the search sites:

- Duluth, GA, USA

Apr 142012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving in busy traffic area when my throttle body caused issues on my 2010 Ford Fusion. I managed to get out of the flow of traffic. My car has only 47,700 miles on it. I have learned other Ford Fusion owners have experienced the same problem. I managed to get my car home (3 miles away). My son reset the computer, and I drove the car again the following day, and it happened again on the interstate. Driving 65 mph in heavy traffic, it happened -- the speed dropped down to 20 mph. I could not go any faster. It was 2 miles until I could get off the next exit ramp. I drove on the shoulder part of the way but there were two cars on the shoulder with other issues that I had to drive around. It was frightening and potentially hazardous. I did not know what the problem was. I did not know if the car was going to die at any time or not. It was dark and late on a Sunday. I felt vulnerable. I have read on the internet that other 2010 Fusion owners have experienced similar problems - hazardous situations and having to pay for repairs when the car doesn't have high mileage like mine. Some are covered under warranty (under 36,000) and some just barely over the 36,000 miles so they were not covered under their warranty. The cost of the repair was just barely under $470. For some reason it wasn't covered under my esp extracare warranty, and I don't get that either. Please consider a recall on this part for others who might experience an serious accident as a result.

- Mount Vernon, IL, USA

Mar 172012

Fusion 6-cyl

The throttle body assembly failed after 70,000 miles. The vehicle would stall at speed, have to be pulled over, stopped, engine turned off and completely restarted. The vehicle had multiple incidences of this nature, and I have been told the problem is a common problem with this year/make/model, that being the throttle body assembly which required replacement.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Nov 022011

Fusion 4-cyl

Car had a faulty throttle body, which would cause the car to lose power. You could be running any speed and the car would jerk and you would have no power car would coast to the side of the road. Very dangerous on the interstate or any heavy traffic. The dealer knew exactly what the problem was when I described it to him, which led me to believe they have seen this problem many times. Checked online and saw where many others had the same problem. Ford told me it was my problem and were sorry it had happened but there was nothing they could do. Case #[xxx]. this is a very dangerous problem if the vehicle is in traffic.Ford has had a recall on the transmission which was due to holes being drilled wrong on the throttle body. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Olive Branch, MS, USA