2.6

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Aug 292013

Fusion

Driving in far left lane at highway speed. The car had been on for about 10 minutes after sitting in parking lot all day. It was 96 degrees. Car started to vibrate and slow down. I noticed that the tool light was on. Obviously I had entered into limp mode and found a way to cross four lanes of rush hour traffic to make it to the emergency lane. Once stopped engine loped erratically and would not accelerate. Engine was non-responsive to pedal changes. Put car in park and shut the engine off. I waited 30 seconds and started the car again and drove home (26 miles) without further incident. It should be noted that I have experienced surging in the engine this past week. Symptoms point to the throttle body; but this is speculation as I have not had the car diagnosed by a professional. I am aware that there is a current investigation into this matter. This event happened at highway speeds and could have been disastrous. Driving can be inherently dangerous and parts do break; but, the fact that this has been a known issue for quite some time warrants an additional report.

- Lagrange, KY, USA

Jul 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that he noticed a leak underneath the rear end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the fuel tank was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 140,000. Updated 04/22/14 MA updated 04/24/14

- Southside, AL, USA

Jun 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Wife was driving down 4 lane highway when car stalled and died due to bad throttle body. Cars behind her had to change lanes, one truck had to slam on brakes. The red wrench light came on. I've heard other complaints on the very same issue with nothing being done. I'm reporting now because I've got another issue with the driver side axle leak. Also another issue I've seen multiple reports on. I bought extended warranty but have been out $200 for deductible. These are issues that Ford needs to step up and make recalls. The bad thing is I've had to wait for the parts both times because its such a bad issue that everything is on backorder. Please get these things taken care of before someone gets seriously hurt. My wife was very close to getting hit by a big truck. I think people that have been out money for these things should also get refunded. There needs to be a recall on both issues. Thank you..

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jan 052014

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

Car started to lose power and speed while driving. Pressing the gas barely made it go for a few hundred feet, then it died. On busy highway, but was able to make it to side street and push past a drive way. Restarted and was able to drive another couple of miles. After about 1.5 hours of waiting, it died 2X while driving about 2 miles home. This has happened before (a couple of years ago) to this same vehicle (taken to dealer at least 2X for the problem). Based on what I read today online, it sounds like the "throttle body". trying to get the car to the dealer tomorrow.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

My 2010 Ford Fusion stalled many times last weekend. I pulled the car over to the side of the road, put it in park, and turned it off and back on, and it ran fine to get me home. I had no further problems with it until today, roughly a week later. It stalled on me twice at speed, and I had to pull over, turn it off, and restart the engine, upon which it ran fine. Each time it stalled, the wrench icon lit up on the dashboard after it stalled, but did not stay on once the engine was restarted. Today after the third stall, I noticed the car was kind of jerking as I pulled it to a stop, but as I pressed the gas nothing happened. I was told by Ford that this is the throttle position sensor (tps). This switch almost got me killed in heavy traffic more than once and it's a matter of time before someone get killed because Ford has yet to recall this part!!!

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Dec 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling at speed in heavy traffic, the car shook and I lost all power. I was able to make it to the side of the road although several people had to swerve around me as I was going uphill and lost speed quickly. The "wrench" warning light was on. While the car would idle, nothing would happen when I pressed the accelerator. I shut off the car and was able to restart it. Everything seemed fine and no warning light. I made it home safely with no more incidents and discovered many other people have experienced the same issue. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to determine options for part replacement. I am very lucky that I was able to make it to the side of the road and not cause an accident considering the traffic situation. This should be a recall item!

- Hamilton, VA, USA

Nov 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving northbound on interstate 5 in seattle when I suddenly felt a "tug" and lost all power to the engine and the "wrench" light came on. I was able to maneuver to the right-hand lane where the car lost all power to the engine and died in the middle of the high bridge. The electrical remained on. A state trooper pushed us off the highway and I had the car toward towed. My mechanic replaced the battery but a month later (Dec. 15) the same thing happened again in nearly the same location (montlake exit of I-5 northbound). This time I was able to start it back up and drive it home. The dealer (autonation in bellevue) diagnosed a faulty throttle body. This is very similar to incidents being investigated by NHTSA per a report in usa today: www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/02/25/probe-Ford-cars-SUVS-stalling/1945799/.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving home on the freeway at 3:30 pm during heavy rush hour traffic. Without any warning the car quickly started jerking and slowed down from 55 mph to less than 20 mph. She tried to accelerate, but the car would not. Unfortunately, my wife was in the middle lane of heavy traffic and she had to quickly maneuver to the right shoulder where she placed the car in park and shut it off. Even when the car was initially placed in park it continued to jerk until the engine was shut-off. She indicated that the car ride felt similar to a mechanical bull with all the jerking motion. Needless to say my wife was petrified with driving our car and feared for her life with the heavy traffic! after a few minutes she started the car and it appeared fine for her to drive (10 miles) home. When she got home we called the local Ford dealer and scheduled an appointment. They determined that it was a bad throttle body and cost over $600 for the repair which is outrageous since we have less than 26,000 actual mileage. This was a very scary and unsafe situation. We are so thankful that my wife didn't have a car accident. We are concerned that Ford Motor Company is aware of this safety problem and they are not being proactive to correct it. Will this be another Toyota Camry tragedy with people getting hurt and / or killed in car accidents before this problem gets corrected"????????"

- New Brighton, MN, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

After accelerating away from a stop-sign the engine abruptly began to run exceedingly poorly, and lost nearly all power. I was unable to accelerate or maintain speed. After pulling onto the shoulder and stopping I was able to restart the car, but attempts to drive it would result in stalling at about 5mph. After about perhaps 50 feet. The car was subsequently towed to the dealership where the throttle-body was replaced at my cost.

- Cary, NC, USA

Dec 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on straight away about 35 to 40 mph. Lost power in the middle of the road with no time to pull over, push on gas pedal nothing happened motor never died completely but had no power to move.then put shifter into park shut off vehicle waited a minute then restarted it, ran fine after this for this 5 mile trip, but this is happening every different trip made, every day, sometimes more than once a trip, at different speeds.

- Carlisle, OH, USA

Nov 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my 2010 Ford Fusion I experienced something I was at a red light. While driving my car shook heavy 3 times I suddenly pulled over to check out the problem I pulled off after pulling over the problem occurred again then it suddenly accelerated in its own I applied the brake then tried to accelerate but my car didn't move I accelerated one more time my car then shook then took off. I found a forum website called fordfusion.net even on the motor trend website several people speak of once having this problem I'm having with my Ford Fusion Ford doesn't want to do anything about it because they said I'm not under warranty I feel I shouldn't have to pay for something that was once on recall with this car I work and I'm in grad school my car is a must have for me I don't know what to do I even informed Ford that their was several people on a website online that complained about the same problem even after the problem was fixed this is my first vehicle I've owned I'm in disbelief and really regret purchasing a Ford car please help me.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Nov 272013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on highway at approximately 60 mph when all power to the engine was lost. The vehicle decelerated quickly as I pulled over to the side of the road. An orange "wrench" light was illuminated on the dash, but no check engine light. Engine was idling roughly and a loud misfiring sound was coming from the exhaust. No matter how hard I pushed the gas pedal, I could not get above 3 mph. I re-started the car, and the engine ran normally. However, the messages "service advancetrac" and "check brake system" appeared on the screen while two yellow traction control lights and the red brake light were illuminated. Upon restarting the vehicle once more, both of these indicators were gone. I was able to drive safely to the dealer who didn't perform any diagnostics nor drive the vehicle, but was still "90% sure" that the problem is the throttle body. Ford does not cover the throttle body under the 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain warranty, nor will my aftermarket "exclusionary coverage" warranty by portfolio. The estimated cost to install a new throttle body is $321 without diagnostics. No repair has been done yet at this time, as I am waiting to hear back from Ford Motor Company as well as the dealer that sold me the vehicle used.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Going down 4 lane road at 45-50 mph. Vehicle lost power & idle ability. Shut it off & after a few minutes, it started up again but continued to repeat this malfunction several times. Dealer checked codes & replaced electronic throttle body control & emissions purge valve. Informed that this was common problem, but not covered by warranty.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Oct 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

During the month of September, my car began suddenly shutting off while I was driving. This happened multiple times on the highway and surface roads. I would pull over, turn the car off and wait a few minutes. The car would work fine afterwards. I first had the battery checked which revealed a bad battery, I had it replaced. The car continued to have symptoms after the new battery was installed. I also noticed the stalling happened more when I filled the gas tank completely. I finally took the car back to the place I purchased it for diagnostics. I discovered that the throttle body was defective. I was told by a tech that the manufacturer had assembled new throttle bodies to replace the originals as the original throttle body did not work properly. Apparently, the intake was not opening/closing properly therefore the engine was not getting enough gas at times. The shop was able to pull codes from the previous stall events, P2111 & P2112. They replaced the throttle body assembly, ~ $300. I see many complaints regarding this issue and expect/hope a recall will be issued in the near future. As a side note, my ABS light was on as well. There was a known recall on the driver's side air bag assembly, shorted to ground. Ford replaced the air bag assembly at no charge. I hope this information is helpful.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Nov 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car started to run rough, the engine light went on, there was no response to the gas pedal. I had enough speed to move to the shoulder. I turned off the car and the issue seemed to resolve itself. I happened two more times in the last three miles to my house.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Oct 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving South on I-95 in northern Florida doing 73 mph.. my vehicle suddenly lost all power and would not respond to pressure on the gas pedal. The highway was under construction at the time and I had to make an emergency maneuver between safety cones to pull over to the shoulder. The dashboard displayed two warnings: A 'wrench' figure and the engine trouble light. I restarted the vehicle and tried to resume my journey. The same thing happened one minute later and I again had to make a desperate turn onto the shoulder. I had my vehicle towed to a Ford dealer. After they checked the vehicle they told me the message that came up indicated the 'throttle body' needed replacement. The repair was not covered under their 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty! I have since found out this part has been very problematic for this make/model. I believe this part should be covered and a recall issued. This part failure at highway speed causing a total loss of power is very dangerous and put my life in danger. Please help me and other Ford Fusion owners.

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Oct 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 30 miles per hour in my neighborhood, the vehicle lost power and would no longer accelerate. It felt as if the car had violently run out of gas. This caused me to stop rather quickly. I turned the ignition off, waited 3 minutes, and started the car again. At this point, I was able to drive the 0.5 miles back to my home. I took the car to the dealership and the throttle assembly body failed and needed replacement. I was informed that this is a pretty common thing with Ford Fusion. Total bill was $598.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Oct 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Transmission fluid leaks seal at left cv joint. I took it to have it serviced due to slipping/ jerking when changing gears. Total of repairs cost me over $500, 4 days later, seal is broken again and needs to be replaced again. Ford needs to recall this vehicle...after seeing hundreds of exact same issue!

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nov 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

We were traveling on highway at 65 mph when suddenly lost power, car was shuttering and "wrench" light came on. Since we were going uphill at the time, we lost speed incredibly fast but managed to make it out of traffic lane and onto the shoulder. The car was turned off and then after a minute it restarted and ran ok but we're afraid that it isn't safe to drive until this problem is fixed. It would appear to be a faulty throttle body.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Nov 042013

Fusion

Driving to work approx 40 mph, car began to sputter like it was running out of gas, but had 3/4 tank. Wrench light lit up and lost acceleration immediately in the middle of an intersection. Was able to coast to the side of the road. Put car in neutral and tried to rev the engine - thinking maybe dirt in fuel line or fuel filter. No luck. The car did not stall, so I put in back in gear and was able to limp at negligible speed thanks to a slight downgrade to a parking lot nearby. After shutting off and restarting the car it seemed to run normally but I didn't want to risk driving it and stalling somewhere more dangerous. Had it towed to the dealership. Awaiting their diagnostics. Sounds an awful lot like the other documented throttle body issues.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA