2.6

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car started jerking and the throttle light and engine light came on. Lost power and acceleration. Had difficulty maneuvering it to the side of the road. Vehicle had to be towed to dealership where mechanic diagnosed the problem as failed throttle body assembly.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving in heavy city traffic at approximately 55 miles per hour, when the car suddenly lost all power. The engine felt "disconnected" from the transmission. I could push the gas pedal all I wanted, but there was no response from the engine. The car continued to roll under it's own momentum, but because of the sudden loss of power, I was very nearly rear-ended by the car behind me. I was in the left lane, and because I was coasting down to a stop quickly, my only choice was to pull into the center turn lane of the 5-lane road. Traffic continued to speed past me as I stopped in the center lane. As I stopped, the engine ran incredibly roughly. It was stumbling and missing like it wasn't getting enough air. There was a yellow wrench icon on my dashboard, but no "check engine light". I shut down, waited a minute, and refired the car. The car ran perfectly smoothly after that. I did some checking, and it appears to be a throttle body problem. It appears to be very widespread on 2010 and 2011 Ford's. please make them recall this. It's a huge safety concern. I'm lucky it was just me in the car, and I knew what to do. What if my wife and baby were in the car, and she wasn't as lucky" what if the guy behind me wasn't as quick on his brakes?"

- Lawrenceburg, IN, USA

Jun 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down the highway I lost the ability to accelerate, and the car went to a quick decelerate. Luckily there was not much traffic, and I was able to safely pull to the side of the road. The car almost stalled once I got completely stopped. I turned the car off for about 30 seconds, and restarted it. It started up a little slow, but was quick to go back to normal. This was on Tuesday morning. On Friday afternoon the same symptoms (no acceleration, and a quick deceleration) but this time I was traveling approximately 60 mph in heavier traffic. I was in the left lane, and my only option was to pull off to the left, because I was not traveling fast enough to try and get through the traffic to the right. Turned it off, about a minute later I started it again, and I went on my way. Then this morning (06/25/13) it happened 2 times on my way to work. I have been driving in the right lane, just in case it happened again, and it is a good thing I did. I consider this to be a safety hazard, as traveling at high speeds, and not being able to safely get pulled over presents a lot of danger for myself and other drivers. I took my car to the repair shop to have them look at the code, and they told me it points to a throttle body issue. After reading numerous reports of similar situations and symptoms, I think this is something that needs to be addressed.

- Heartland, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving at 55 mph and the car suddenly lost power all it would do was idle. This has happened several times I checked the codes with my scan tool it gave two codes for stuck throttle body one for stuck closed and the other one for stuck open.

- Tomahawk, KY, USA

May 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving ~70 mph, my car stalled - the gas was no longer responsive and the RPM went to 1K. I was fortunate enough to be able to pull over and stop my car. Between the speeds of 5 and 0 zero miles an hour, the engine shook violently (I have witnessed this with the hood up - it is abnormal) and the wrench symbol turned on as well as the check engine light. I was able to restart the vehicle within minutes and drive normally. However, this event repeated itself every 30 to 60 miles on a 300 mile trip. After this trip, the vehicle was "fine" for about six weeks, 1000-1500 miles - city or highway. However, the battery died at one point. Also, there were times when the gas was not responsive - it would hiccup. Occasionally the hiccup would occur during acceleration. On 6/20, the event occurred once more, but at low speed and during deceleration - 30-40 mph. I was able to restart the car twice and drive another half a mile to a parking spot. Four hours later, I tried again. I was able to drive half a mile without incident, but needed to restart the car 5 to 7 times to reach a parking spot. The car was towed to a dealership where error code P2112 was produced. Further investigation by the technicians suggested part DS70-9E926-D, all or part of the electronic throttle body. Tsb 10-21-6 addresses a similar pair of parts in 7T4Z-9E926-fa and 8S4Z-9E926-B labeled "electronic throttle body" as well. The part is currently under back order with no eta on the back order. This appears to be indicative of a significant problem on a broad scale within the company's vehicles. The red mccombs dealership is currently taking the position that my car/car part is not covered under a warranty. I believe this is a serious safety concern that is the responsibility of fomoco and should be covered under warranty or taken care of by recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

No acceleration. Gas peddle fully used caused no acceleration. The car shuttered and RPM's were sporadic. The vehicle had to be placed in park to turn off engine. After multiple failed starts, the car started, but would not stay on. Was able to finally get the car started, but had no acceleration. After a few stops and starts of the engine, was able to accelerate. At 3 more stops, the car stalled and required multiple attempts before the engine would remain started. I am aware this is a common problem with my model of car.

- Moore, OK, USA

Jun 192013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at highway speeds or even at lower speed (can happen at any time), feel a shudder and have no throttle response. Very very dangerous when in traffic!!!!!! a wrench light illuminated on the dash. Only coasting, I was able to move the car to the side of the road and put it in park. Car had a very shaky idle, like it was about to stall. I turned off the ignition and waited for about 1 min, then started vehicle back up., but once it was back on it seemed fine. Was able to continue driving to my destination without further incident. Thought it was bad gas. 1 month or 2 later after first incident, same event occurred again, multiple times. I was going to my sons baseball tournament and missed first inning cause of this safety issue. Since Ford dealer would not get it in quickly and did not tell me this was a wide spread problem, I took to advance auto and ran the obdii scan tool. What do you know fault P2111 and P2112. Call Ford dealer back and part is on backorder. 7 people ahead of me for same issue. Went on internet. This is a wide spread problem and a safety issue all the way. Someone needs to get this recalled before someone gets hurt!!!!! someone is going to get hit or cause an accident and people will get hurt. Ridiculous. Ford get your act together and do the right thing.

- Brownstown, IN, USA

Apr 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

I purchased a used 2010 Ford Fusion with 59674 miles on 4/4/13. On the drive home I experienced a lurching occasionally when accelerating from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears. (it is an automatic transmission.) there were no warning lights lit. The lurching continued to get worse. It bucked and idled rough. It died sometimes (mostly while idling), leaving me blocking traffic, till I could put it in neutral and restart. The lurching was the most concerning, because the car became hard to control. I had to work hard to keep from getting in an accident. I found this site and others describing the throttle body problems and I recognized that was the exact problem I was having. I called two Ford dealerships, both of whom said they couldn't get the throttle body because so many are failing that there is not enough supply. One dealer said that people were just bringing in their Fusion and parking them at the lot until a throttle body was found. At the dealership, the clerk was on the phone with their parts department unhappy that she had to tell a another customer it would be 3-4 weeks before they would get a throttle body for their 2010 Ford Fusion (not mine). I begrudgingly I authorized the $95 diagnosis fee. I waited 3 hours. Then she told me they said it was a faulty maf sensor and would cost $500. I remembered reading the complaints here that others were told the same thing, only to have the problem reoccur and then have to replace the throttle body. I chose not to have the work done and left an order in the parts department for a throttle body. From the moment I drove out of the dealership the car was working fine. I think they cleaned the throttle body. I will have my mechanic install a new $70 maf and wait for the throttle body to fail eventually, as I fully expect it to do. The dealers know this is a rampant problem. This needs a recall!

- Navarre Beach, FL, USA

May 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car has cut off in traffic numerous time and 3 close calls on accidents. Throttle body was the problem.called Ford and they gave me a case # and said that they couldnot help knowing that the have a problem. Ford mechs that I have talk to have said that they have replace alot of the throttle bodys and for will not recognize the problem probably until someone gets killed or injured while the car has completely shut down running 60mph.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling approx 60 mph in crowded traffic when suddenly and without warning the car stalled and lost its power. Fortunately, I was able to guide the car safely to the side of the road. The wrench light did come on. After about a minute and just prior to calling road assistance, I attempted to start the car. It did so successfully and I was able to drive to my local Ford dealership immediately. For two days, the service department attempted to duplicate the failure but was unable to do so. No dtc was produced. However, after much discussion and research, they went ahead and replaced the throttle body. So far, the problem has not recurred.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

From a standing stop I pressed the accelerator the car surged then bucked, surged then bucked. I was able to get the car out of heavy traffic. There was no warning and the "check engine" light illuminated as the problem occurred. Dealer told me part was back ordered until mid July as this is a chronic problem with the Fusion with thousands of Fusion sitting in dealer lots waiting for part.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

I had come to a stop light and was turning right when the car went into limp mode. Second time about two weeks later I was turning onto a entrance ramp to an interstate and was accelerating when it went into limp mode. It happened again two weeks later. About three weeks ago I was idling when the car totally cut off. I restarted it drove 5 miles and it went into limp mode when I was pulling into a parking lot. Yesterday it happened when I was doing a steady 70 mph on the interstate. Today when I was doing 65 mph on the interstate. Each time, I pulled over, turned the ignition off and restarted the car which ran normally after that.

- Mcleansville, NC, USA

Jun 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle suddenly lost power and both the check engine and mechanic wrench light came on. I turned the vehicle off and back on and started to go again. If I tried to moderately accelerate my Ford Fusion would lose power again. When the vehicle would lose power it would begin to vibrate roughly when low idling. I use a code checker and pulled a P2111 code which states that the throttle body was stuck open. This occurred 4 more times along the trip back home.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

51000 miles on car. Driving 45 mph. Engine wrench light comes on. Engine dies. Drift to side of road. Starts again. Wrench light comes on. Engine dies again. Dealer states it is the throttle body. Not covered by warranty because is not part of the mechanical engine but fuel system. Job in $600 range but Ford has no replacement parts! they are back ordered because so many are failing all over country! this is Ford's engineering problem not the customers. And someone is going to get killed.

- Roosevelt, NJ, USA

May 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving, the electronic throttle body malfunctioned, causing my car to start to lose speed rapidly. I was in interstate traffic, making this issue that much more dangerous. I was lucky that I was in the right hand lane without heavy traffic and could pull safely off of the road. This has occurred multiple times since then. It seemed to be an intermittent problem, but has now put my car out of commission until it is fixed. The cost of repair is over $400. Upon researching this, I found that it is a very common problem that Ford seems to know about, but will not cover under the extended warranty I have because it is an "emissions" part. I must state that I absolutely love my car and like the way it drives, but am disappointed that this has not been recalled since it is common enough for the dealer to know what it is before even looking at the car. I also must say that my dealer has dealt with me fairly and honestly through the whole process.

- Batesville, MS, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at highway speeds when I felt a shudder and realized I was losing forward momentum. Rpms dropped and the engine did not respond to stepping on the gas pedal. A wrench light illuminated on the dash. Only coasting, I was able to move the car to the side of the road and put it in park. Car had a very shaky idle, like it was about to stall. I turned off the ignition and waited for about 1 min, then tried to turn the car back on. Car took longer than usual to turn back on, but once it was back on it seemed fine. Was able to continue driving it to my destination without further incident. Five days after first incident, same even occurred again, with turning the car off and on seeming to correct the problem for the time. No electrical, braking, or power-steering power was lost.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Feb 142013

Fusion 6-cyl

Throttle body! I have been having issues for a while now. Started with the check fuel inlet cap light coming on. Fyi, I have not fuel cap for this car. Had it checked, thought it was a sensor problem. Then the check engine light came one. Then the issues started taking place. Had a few incidents where I would be going down the interstate at 70 miles per hour and the wrench light would come on in the car and it would completely lose any throttle control. I would have to pull over to side, car would still be running, but once stopped would shake and sputter, I would turn it off and then it would fire right back up. Sometimes this would take place maybe 3 times back to back and then would not do it anymore. I kept being told, when it happens bring it in....that is easier said than done. It is happening more often and now at lower speeds and as of last week, as I was pulling out of my driveway. Now it is parked, can't go 2 miles without it shutting off. I have found out that it is the throttle body and it seems that many other are having the same issues, yet this has not been recalled. Ford is telling me the part is back ordered, and that I may have to wait a month for it to come in. I work and have two kids and now Ford would like for me to wait to get it fixed. Fyi.....a rental cal is about $700 for a month! unacceptable! and I owe too much on it to be worth my while to trade it in. Frustrated beyond belief!

- Henderson, NC, USA

Jun 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at 45 mph in rush hour traffic vehicle stalled wrench light came on and would not accelerate vehicle crept at less than 5 mph when I finally got to a safe place to pull over I shut vehicle off wrench light gone and vehicle worked fine. I took it to dealership they said it was throttle body charged me $596 to replace they said it was common. However shouldn't this be a recall since it is so dangerous.

- Columbia, MD, USA

May 232013

Fusion

Accelerator suddenly lost ability to accelerate and the wrench light appeared on the control panel. After coasting to a stop was able to turn off car and restart. This has recurred ~10 times. Ford dealership diagnosed as a faulty throttle position sensor (tps). To replace they ordered a complete throttle body and motor assy.$185.41 plus labor. Ford is unable to get this replacement part for at least 3 weeks so far..

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jun 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Throttle body malfunction caused the Ford Fusion to stall every couple blocks. Had to tow it to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as throttle body replacement was needed.

- Memphis, TN, USA