2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 10 of 30)

Jan 262016

Fusion

While driving straight on a highway the service power steering soon message came on the dash display then the service stable trac message came on the not 10 minutes later the car lost all power steering and messaged changed to service power steering now. Car was almost impossible to control while I drove it back to my house.

- Manning, SC, USA

Jan 232016

Fusion

Vehicle was traveling at approx. 70mph on a highway. Dash lights flashed and beeped and warning message appeared. Steering locked up and wheel was difficult to turn. Drove it with difficulty off of the highway to a parking lot and towed it to dealer. Dealer says there is no warranty or recall and the cost will be $2000 to repair. This is a power steering issue and seems to be a prevalent problem with this type of car. Some models were recalled, not mine. Dealer wants to replace the entire steering assembly.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 252016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While attempting to move the vehicle out of a parking lot, the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the steering wheel required extra effort to turn. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic. The contact was informed that the electronic steering power assist gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,420.

- Thomaston, GA, USA

Dec 022015

Fusion

I began to notice a sound when turning the steering wheel, whether it was stationary or moving. Over the next few days, the steering became more stiff, as the sound increased. Soon thereafter, the vehicle became difficult to steer. As I was returning home from work, recently, the steering locked up completely. As I was driving through a curve on a surface street at approximately 45 mph, the steering locked up and would not allow me to straighten the wheel. I immediately applied the brakes to keep from driving off the road or run into oncoming traffic. As I sat there, the steering slowly released in small amounts only. I was able to get the vehicle home, and only able to move the steering wheel sporadically. It is now completely locked up and I cannot move the vehicle. There is no reason this should be happening. I have read of hundreds of other people having this exact same problem with their 2010 Ford Fusion.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 212016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While making a left turn at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering assist failure error message displayed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering electrical panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jan 022016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the electric power steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- North Bel Aire, KS, USA

Jan 062016

Fusion

Power steering assist fault alert message is on and car has no power steering. Ford and dealer say that this is owner responsibility to repair even though 2011 - 2012 Ford Fusion have a recall for this. I do not have the arm strength to drive the car without the steering so it has to fixed.

- Jasper, TN, USA

Jan 092016

Fusion

I left the gas station 2 nights ago and the "service power steering now" came on along with the "service advancetrac" light. After stopping at the store, upon restarting all power steering was gone. Vehicle has approximately 43,000 miles. Quote was $1850 for repair.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Dec 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. When attempting to start the vehicle, the power steering failed and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 072016

Fusion

I was driving home last night and the error message, "service power steering now", appeared. I parked my car in my parking space. This morning when I got up for work, the messages, "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" appeared. I have no power steering and after reading the other complaints/reviews, I'm thankful I wasn't driving when it completely went out. After reading the reviews, I see that this is a common problem, that there is a class action lawsuit and that the problem can be quite expensive to repair (ranging from $1,650 to about $2,250). There was minimal to no notice to have the power steering serviced before it went completely out and this is very dangerous.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 052016

Fusion

On 01/05/2016, after picking up my god daughter who I haven't seen in a while, my power steering went out on us on our way to grab something to eat. The trac alert came on the warning screen and also the service power steering warning. I have researched the issue, called the dealer and also a personal mechanic. The price to fix this is ridicolous. I guess the lives of the consumers do not matter. I am grateful we were able to turn into a parking lot because it could have went completely left. Ford needs to do something I love my life clearly you dont.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 232015

Fusion

I was driving the morning of 12/23/15 and suddenly alert sounded and display indicated a fault with the power steering. It advised immediate service attention. I struggled but was able to get to a local Ford dealer. After diagnosis they advised that I needed a full computer rack replacement. Total cost was around $1900. Car had only 55K miles and I never expected such a major expense. Also, based on other accounts on the internet, issue seems to be systemic with this car.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Dec 222015

Fusion

Eleven weeks ago 10/22/15 while driving home from work in the morning on the expressway service road going 45mph a warning light came on on the panel reading, "service power steering now/service advancetrac. I continued to drive on home. Park the car and went inside got my daughter ready for school, went back outside an hour later turned the car on warning light still there. Went to pull off and the car steering wheel was so hard to move. I slowly drove my daughter to school a few blocks away on a normal neighborhood road going 30mph. After I dropped her off at school, I slowly drove it straight to my local mineke car care center around the corner.it is very unsafe but I have no other way to get her to and from school. Unable to park the car straight because of the stiffen steering wheel. I must say you really have to put your muscles into steering the car. Mineke cleared the codes and the car was ok for a while. Seven weeks later the same thing happened again, driving straight on the same expressway service road going 45mph. Brought it back to 12/9/15 mineke car care center and they referred me to the Ford dealer because they said there were more codes and they probably needed to update the computer there were seven codes this time according to mineke. Once at the Ford dealer, they ran a diagnostic check ($146) and said I needed the pscm updated. Once they did that the car was okay for a week and a half and the car was again taken back to the Ford dealer on 12/31/15. This time I was told the "steering rack and pinion needs to be replaced. A job costing $1,862.42

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Jan 022016

Fusion

The other day I drove my car across town to the gym, and when I was leaving to drive home I noticed a display reading "power steering assist fault" and my steering wheel feels as if it is locked in place. This was the second time this has happened to me, but the first time it went away after restarting the car. This occurrence it has not gone away and is near impossible to drive. I had to call my father to come and pick the car up cause I didn't feel safe driving it the remaining distance home. The mechanic took a look at it and said the electronic power steering module was not working and needed replacement. The part alone is 1200-1500 dollars. I have been reading about many other Ford Fusion having this exact same problem, and Ford has issued a recall on many similar years and models. Ford said my car is not covered in this recall, although I'm experiencing the exact same problem.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jan 012016

Fusion

Exiting freeway at 55-60mph speeds, power steering went out and multiple service errors came on the hud. Nearly crashed into guard rail and semi that was following me barely made it around me. Steering wheel very difficult to turn. Seems to be a known problem with these cars, and no action by Ford. Extremely unsafe. Service appointment set for Monday, January 4th at 2:00pm at ricart Ford in columbus, Ohio.

- Somerset, OH, USA

Dec 272015

Fusion

Complete loss of power steering while driving on a major highway at 55mph. An indicator message came on at that time, reading "service power steering now" as well as "service advance track now" and due to loss of steering and inability to turn the steering wheel, I was able to pull off the road to avoid an accident. Diagnostics at Ford certified repair center indicated a faulty sensor in the steering gear. This required installation of an entire new steering gear.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Dec 122015

Fusion

I was moving my vehicle from outside drive into my garage. When steering assist message appeared. At this point power steering failed. Was able to drive vehicle inside. I had vehicle towed to Ford dealer were the steering power pack module was replaced.

- Raymore, MO, USA

Dec 292015

Fusion

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SE 4drv6 and was driving my vehicle down a highway and my low tire pressure light came on. Unable to pull over immediately I drove to the nearest good year which offers free tire repair when out of no where the traction stability control kicked in on my car and my service screen said "service power steering now" I maintained control of the vehicle until I got to good year where they discovered that I had no power steering.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Dec 242015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. When starting the vehicle, the power steering warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,330.

- Highland, IN, USA

Oct 092015

Fusion

Power steering was suddenly lost first time in October of 2015 almost causing me to run into a curb. Second time in November of 2015 fiance was driving and the power steering was suddenly lost power steering light came on only giving us about a five minute warning while he was driving and almost ran into another vehicle. A Ford dealership wanted to charge me over $2,000 to replace entire electronic gear which was not the problem at all. I took it to another mechanic and he said it was the rack and pinion that has gone bad and is going to cost over $1,000 to get a new rack and pinion. He also said that the loose rack and pinion was causing the powering steering hose to leak.

- Marysville, OH, USA