2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 30)

Nov 132015

Fusion

The eps system malfunctions at speeds that could result in dangerous accidents. I was traveling at 40 mph and the steering locked up. Message center stated clearly that the power steering needs service now. The steering was manual at this point, so I tried hard to pull it over to the side of the road and get out of the way of traffic. I then had it towed to my repair shop. This is going to cost $1000's of dollars! this is a major problem that could cause major accidents.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Nov 022015

Fusion

As I was driving the power steering stopped workin. And couldnt turn the wheel. While I had my children in the car. Also the gas tank whenever I get gas the car shakes & when I turn the car on after the gas is done, the car stalls & have to restart it twice before it stays

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 142015

Fusion

While driving my car my steering wheeling locked and I could not control the car. When I took it to the shop the mechanic told me that my car does not have a standard hydraulic steering wheel system but instead it has an electronic one that will cost over $1000 to repair. I'm considering suing the Ford Motor Company because I almost died in my car due to this faulty system they provided in my car. After doing research I found out that a lot of Ford customers with a 2010 Ford Fusion are going through the same issue and Ford is not willing to help. I will be in contact with a lawyer on Monday. I live in buffalo NY while driving my car I was on a busy street intersection why my power steering went out.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 042015

Fusion

Power steering failed, and fixed itself after resetting the codes. A week or so ago I was driving 65 mph when the power steering failed again causing me to go off of the road! thankfully I had my seatbelt on and I was not injured and their was no damage to my vehicle. Ford has only issued a recall for 2011 and newer models which is ridiculous because from what I have read online more people are having issues with the 2010 models. Was told it could be close to 3,000 to fix the issue! and that it isn't guaranteed that it won't happen again! beyond upset and frustrated! I don't have the money to fix the car, but can't afford not getting it fixed either! for mow oh age been driving around with no power steering because I need to go to work and go to school!

- Florence, VT, USA

Nov 132015

Fusion

Well I could have seriously hurt someone else or my loved ones and my vehicle because without any warning once so ever my car stopped turning. Meaning it was 20 times harder for me to control my vehicle. The warning that flashed in the instrument panel in the split second of me trying to fix whatever was going on was that I needed to get my power steering serviced immediately! so in return my car's steering abilities just abruptly stopped. Luckily, I was at a gas station and not moving too fast, able to turn on my hazard lights and honk at everyone in passing not to come near me while my sister waved everyone away. The issues with the 2010 Ford Fusion is beyond ridiculous and quite frankly too dangerous! now the electronic power steering control module needs servicing. Ford has issued a recall for the problem but only for 2011's and up. This car is highly uncontrollable and terrifying to operate w/O power steering. This is going to cost me towing to a dealership, rental car fees, a diagnostic test of $99 dollars, parts and labor and of course my time. All with the hanging carrot that I might be reimbursed if they do issue a recall down the line or at least that's what the Ford relations customer service people told me. Not only will this cost me upwards $2000 and more but the parts are on back order too. This is my only car and I have to still make car payments during this. What a headache!!! and for the life of me, I just can't understand why there's no recall for 2010 Ford Fusion models pertaining to this problem when there's significant research that states many 2010 Ford drivers are experiencing this. Ford built cars with electronic power steering which doesn't take fluid so if there's an electronic software issue that persists with one make and model give everyone the courtesy of being able to have their cars updated/fixed.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 032015

Fusion

I was driving the car and the advanced trac light came on. Service power steering now. I was in the car with my 9 year old son and I am 5 months pregnant.this is very dangerous and need to be fixed this is my only transportation.

- Garner, NC, USA

Nov 072015

Fusion

On November 7th 2015 my service advancetrac light illuminated and check power steering now warning popped up on my dash at this time I lost all power steering to the car! I disconnected the battery and restarted my car and still no power steering. I was fortunate enough that when the light and warning came up I was in my driveway and thats were I lost steering. This is my only car this gotta get fixed

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Nov 062015

Fusion

On Friday November 6th 2015 after doing some appointments and errands, I started my car in the parking lot and a warning lit up "power steering assist fault" and the car would not steer. When I put it in drive another warning came on "advance trac failure" with a picture of a car swerving. I drove it to my mechanic steering with great difficulty and care about three blocks away. He told me I needed a new drive train but the Ford dealer said the part was on national back order, they could not say how long it would take to get. My car is 5 years old with 136,000 miles. I have never had any other issues with this vehicle and this happened very suddenly for the first time. My car is well maintained and serviced regularly. Ford Motor Co and two dealers say this is not under warranty because of the mileage and the part alone cost $1649. They all said they have never heard of this problem happening before now but their are many complaints of this problem that have been reported to NHTSA. Is this being investigated for possible recall?

- Glide, OR, USA

Nov 032015

Fusion

The electronic power steering on this vehicle is defective. I've only had this vechile for about a year and a half and heve had several major issues with it. The power steering problem has been the biggest issue. I was originally told the the part was on recall, then after jumping through several hoops I ended up having to pay $1314.17 to have it fixed myself. Less than 24 hours after picking the car up from the dealership the same problems are occurring, the electronic power steering completely went out again while driving on the highway. This part needs to be recalled on all vehicles, it is very dangerous to be driving and completely loose control of your vehicle on the highway. Thankfully, I was able to gain control of the car this time, but it could have been much worst. I have and will continue to file complaints against Ford until this defective part until something is done.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012015

Fusion

On several occasions, I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion and lost the power steering for no apparent reason. I lost the power steering at least three times as I was backing out of my garage. The most recent time I lost my power steering, I was driving down a steep hill with a curve and had to use all my strength to turn the steering wheel, so that I would not drive off the road into the ditch. This was an extremely scary experience. I am upset that the ntsb has not forced Ford to recall all 2010 Fusion for this common problem of losing the power steering. The complaints about the power steering problems in Ford Fusion are all over the internet. Also, there was a class action lawsuit brought against Ford for this power steering problem in the 2010-2014 Ford Fusion in san francisco, ca. Why hasn't the ntsb done more about this dangerous problem?

- Slinger, WI, USA

May 072014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering assist warning message illuminated and the vehicle was difficult to steer. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred several times. The vehicle was shut off and restarted and it resumed to normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Salem, OR, USA

Sep 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The repairs were unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 122015

Fusion

Once I pulled out of my apartment parking lot heading to work, the dashboard indicated that I need to "service power steering soon". as I proceeded further, the dashboard message indicated that I needed to "service advancetrac". the steering worked well during the commute to work. Once I got to work and parked, I shut off the engine. When I started the engine, the message on the dashboard replied "service power steering now" and it was very difficult to turn the steering wheel. In the past three months, the power steering has stayed in the same condition. No better, no worse. Furthermore, this incident is more suspicious considering the fact that Ford has issued recalls on 2011-2014 Fusion for this issue.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at a low speeds, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the contact stated that while in park, the check engine warning light illuminated and the "check fuel valve inlet" was displayed across the message board. The failure with the steering wheel recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000. Updated 02/10/16

- Mcleansboro, IL, USA

Oct 122015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 60 mph, the power steering failed and the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Oct 182015

Fusion

Shortly after beginning my drive, my car alerted me to "service advancetrac soon" and "service power steering soon". the wheel turned as it did normally so I didn't think I had anything to worry about. I got to a stoplight a little further down the road and thought perhaps a reset would clear the error. I put my car in park, and shut off the engine. When I started it up again, I got a much more urgent sounding ding and my screen said "service power steering now". it was at that point that I had no power steering in the car. It was so difficult to steer that I was worried I might break something, feeling like at any moment the steering wheel was going to snap. Upon reading the complaints and recalls of other Ford Fusion, I am shocked that the 2010 model isn't included in the recall. The only fix for this issue according to Ford is to replace the rack and pinion assembly. My suspision is that the issue is with a sensor that became faulty, and the system turned off power steering to protect itself. However I have heard that because the sensor does not have a part number, it cannot be sold separately from the rack and pinion assembly. I understand components break and wear out, especially in cars, but I think it's insane to have to replace a $1300 part when a $50 component fails.

- Southington, CT, USA

Oct 142015

Fusion

I have had the power steering assist fault light come on 4 times in the passed year and a half. When I went to Ford they said they could not help me unless the light was on. So finally the light stays on and suddenly it is not covered by a warranty and the repair is close to $2000, how convenient is that. You know they knew that evidently the system would fail. I couldn't even turn the wheel and when I called them to explain that they told me to drive safely. This is a problem that needs to be recalled.if it was recalled for other years why not 2010?

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 162015

Fusion

While my husband was driving my car, he lost all power steering ability and the advance trac and service power steering light came on. It is requiring extra ability to turn vehicle. I do not understand why this model is not included in the recall of 15V340000.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Oct 102015

Fusion

I was driving home with my 12 year old son down the post road in orange ct and all of a sudden, the malfuction indicator light for traction control illuminates and then I get a message to service power steering now. Without warning, in an instant, I lost the ability to steer my car smoothly and safely as the steering wheel became extremely tight. I drove about a mile until I could pull my car over safely and thought that it was just something as simple as resetting my car so I turned the car off and restarted it, but by this time, the steering wheel was even tighter than before and I could barely turn the wheel. I prayed and did my best to maneuver my car so that I wouldn't hit anybody else, but it was hard to even drive in a straight line pattern. The turns I had to make to drive to my home were extremely wide and unsafe. I'm upset with this as I've done my home work and it looks like there was an investigation regarding this scenario but not an actual recall. Ford acknowledges a safety issue, but apperently does nothing until something happens. I live in a state that is in a rainy season and soon winter if this had of happen with snow on the ground...this would have been bad....very bad.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Oct 032015

Fusion

As I was backing out of a parking space, a warning sign popped up on my dash requesting that I service power steering immediately. It was then that my steering wheel locked up and I was unable to turn, almost hitting cars in the rows behind me. Thank god that I have backup sensors because it could have been nasty! anyways, it was difficult for me to steer throughout the parking lot and for me to get to where I needed to go....updated 12/10/15

- Lorain, OH, USA