Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 27)

Jul 302015

Power steering failure while driving. Was extremely difficult to manually steer it into safe place. This also happened to my mother in law and my wife when they were driving. So three incidents total. Very unsafe. All three times, the steering worker again when car was restarted

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 032015

Electric steering stopped working just like the recalled 2011 & 2012 Fusion but the 2010 was not recalled. Ford reset the codes and it happened again. Multiple other error codes had them replace other parts for $600 but the electric power steering kept faulting every few days after a reset so they replaced the defective electric steering part for $2400. No problems since. Why wasn't the 2010 recalled too?

- Wilton, CT, USA

Jun 142015

While driving at 50 mph my daughter lost power steering and had great difficulty pulling over safely. Had the vehicle towed to garage who couldn't fix it so she had to drive to a dealer (it pulled badly as she drove) and the dealer fixed it $1525. And said they had seen this several times before

- Fernandina Beeach, FL, USA

Apr 062015

I was driving, and the car chimed a couple of times and the power steering immediately stopped working. The service power steering system now reading and advance trac reading started to show. Ford says it has not had any major issues as per 2 Ford service dealerships. I went to college for automotive and worked as a tech for Ford and I know power steering randomly going out is a safety issue. We were fortunate to not have any injuries, but this issue almost got us into a wreck. I will not pay Ford to fix a dysfunctional part that they installed. Paying Ford to fix the problem is like paying a serial killer to sharpen your knives before he/she decides which knife to stab you with.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Jan 142015

This issue happens often. It has happened in neutral, first and second gears. I will either be stationary or driving and the power steering assist will fail and throw up a fault on my dash. At that point it is impossible to turn the steering wheel causing me to not be able to control the car.

- Smithton, MO, USA

Jul 062015

My wife was driving the Ford Fusion and an error for "service power steering" came up on her dashboard. She still had power steering and was able to make it to work and park. Upon leaving work, she turned the car on and realized the power steering was completely gone. She could not drive the car because she could not efficiently turn the wheel. I had to go pick her up and at which point I realized I could attempt to steer the car. I was able to make the commute home safely, although the drive was a struggle the entire time. We took the car to a Ford dealership. They were unaware of any common issues. They diagnosed the car needing a new rack and pinion unit (the epas unit). We replaced the rack and pinion, not through Ford because they wanted $1800 we did not have. And the issue is still present. The car not safe to drive. It has been a real inconvenience for my family. The car is 5 years old and this is a major issue. And we still have 3 years left of payments on something that is currently not drive-able....//. updated10/27/15

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Nov 192014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that while driving at low speeds, the steering wheel required additional force in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 192015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the service advance traction and service power steering now warning lights illuminated and the power steering seized. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Smyrna, SC, USA

Jul 182015

Fusion 4-cyl

While making a right hand turn, after stopping at a traffic light, an alarm sounded and a notification popped up saying "service advancetrac" and there was a complete loss off power steering. As I have done in the past when this issue has occurred, I shut the car off and then restarted it and the problem and notification were gone. Moments later while driving on the highway the exact same problem happened again. I pulled off to the shoulder, restarted but this time the problem persisted. Now after 3 restarts the problem remains and my car remains extremely difficult to steer safely. Updated 12/21/2015

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Dec 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- El Cajon , CA, USA

Feb 022015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at slower speeds, the power steering assist failed. Once the failure occurred, the power steering assist fault, engine light, and advance track failure warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jul 132015

This morning I drove my 2010 Ford Fusion without incident. Went out later the same day and had the power steering and advance trac service messages appear less than a mile after I started driving. I went 3 or 4 more miles and had the power steering message go to service power steering now!. in the span of 4 miles I went form no issues to having no power steering and barely being able to keep the car on the road. Looking on line several other people have experienced the same issue. This is extremely dangerous if a less experienced driver or someone not as strong as I was would have been driving there could have been a major incident. Please look into this problem before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Jun 252015

Car lost power steering as I was turning, pulled hard right, causing car to hit a small tree. Minor damage; cracked headlight lens and front nose piece detached from fenders. The car was restarted and the steering appeared to be fine. However, since this happened, the steering appears to be harder to control and the car has a hard pull when accelerating similar to torque steering. The car never had a problem with torque steering prior to this incident. The car also developed a sway when hitting the smallest road bumps, such as coming off a bridge.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Apr 152015

For months I have been resetting my cars "power steering assist fault" by turning my car off and turning it back on and the power steering would suddenly work again. Last night my car took a couple turns on and off for it to work which is the first time it took more than once to reset. Today after church I turned my car on and off 10 times and it still wouldn't reset so I was forced to drive my car home with no power steering, thinking about the fact that if a car served or a kid ran out in front of me, I wouldn't be able to swerve to avoid them. Besides the fact that I can't drive my car to get to and from work this way, I don't have 1500 dollars to fix a problem that should be recalled in my 2010 Ford Fusion as well as the 2011-2012 years. This problem is obviously a result of faulty equipment used in manufacturing and not because of the driver.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jun 242015

I was driving home from work, had to stop and drop some items off for my daughter at summer camp. When I was leaving camp the steering felt like it wanted to pull to the right, a few miles down the road all power steering was lost. Service advanc-trac warning message was being displayed on the dash board. I pulled over at a convenient store to investigate the problem, could not find anything. It was raining so I carefully drove home without any power steering. Took car to local dealership where they diagnosed the problem as a rack& pinion failure, total cost to repair $1,641. The dealer stated they had not seen this problem before. After a short search I found hundreds of similar problems reported. I read where this same problem initiated a recall on the 2011 Ford Fusion, but no help referenced to the 2010 Ford Fusion. If they identified the defect in the 2011 models, shouldn't they fix the problem from the previous models with the advance-trac system. No dealer will touch this vehicle with its defect as a trade-in, meanwhile I'm still paying on a car that I can not drive safely.

- Mauk, GA, USA

Sep 272014

I have had same sterring issue as the 2011 Fusion and was told the only recorse was to replace the whole rack. And the rack I put in had the same issue. The recall needs to be extended to every car and year that has that type of unit in

- Waterford Mi, MI, USA

Jun 272015

While driving my 2010 Ford Fusion into parking lot, the service advance trac warning appeared. I parked and went into a store. After shopping, I was ready to back out of the parking space and couldn't. I had no power steering and the warning light said "service power steering now". I had my young daughter and my mother with me, so thank god we were already in a parking lot and not in traffic or at a higher speed!! (I'm also so thankful my newly licensed son wasn't driving down the highway when this happened.) I had to leave my car there since it's not safe to drive and call for a ride. I will be taking it for service on Monday, most likely by tow truck. I have found many other cases online just like mine where the exact same thing has happened. I can almost bet the problem is the power steering rack. With so many reports, why hasn't Ford issued a recall for this? this seems like a very expensive problem and I think Ford should have to pay to have it fixed. When I bought this car in 2011, I did not expect to have to worry about major safety issues like this. I really though I was getting one of the safest cars on the market, but apparently not.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Jun 252015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at 10 mph, the power steering failed. The instrument panel indicated that the power steering assist failed. The contact turned off the vehicle and restarted the engine and the warning indicator disappeared. The contact was able to drive normally for about two more miles before the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000. Updated 8/31/15

- Troy, MI, USA

Jun 152015

The power steering froze and I was unable to steer the car. The power steering fault indicator came on in the display area. I have experienced this, briefly, many times right after starting the car. This was the first time while the car was already in gear. Luckily I was just trying to get off my driveway at the time.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Jun 142015

Advance steering service light came on, once I stopped and restarted the car had no power steering. I let the car die and let it reset itself (battery disconnected) and put it back together still no steering went to a shop they saw 2 codes one was to due with the electronic steering the other was transmission failure due to the the steering code issue.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA