Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 17 of 27)

Dec 092014

Fusion 6-cyl

The power steering had started to whine on Monday morning December 8th. The problem ceased to repeat until this morning Wednesday December 10th, the problem came back much worse. The steering wheel feels to lose electronic assistance - at lower speeds it is more noticeable. This has the likeliness to cause a safety issue when on the road and electronic steering malfunctions or does not assist properly.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Nov 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering light came on and said to service "now", no warning... steering next to impossible! took it to dealer as are independent garage didn't have access to Ford only special codes (apparently and another Ford customer rip-off). Had to then drive it (near impossible and late at night as to not cause an accident) since we can't afford to tow it to manderbach Ford, in reading, pa, was told the work was going to cost $1,700 dollars and when we were told it was fixed, we picked it up that same night and on our way & 1 min into the drive, not even, the light came back on saying to service now and it was as if they did nothing to the car to fix it including the alignment they claim it needed and clearly didn't do!!! so we took it right back and were told they'd be looking/working on it today. What a giant waste of time and $$ so far.. adios Ford! I plan to recoup every last penny for this unnecessary inconvenience to me and my family!!!!!!!

- Reading, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Got in my car to make my drive home and service power steering now light and advance trac lights came on. Stopped at a gas station and upon returning to my car I had no power steering and was forced to drive the 35 mile trip home. Called the Ford dealer because I am aware that there are recalls on the power steering for these Fusion but was advised that my Fusion is not included in said recall. I bought this car to have a safe reliable vehicle for myself and family and am quickly regretting it! I do not have the $2000+ dollars that the dealer has quoted me to diagnose and fix this! and I should not have to! Ford made this mistake and they need to make it right!

- Attica, OH, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

The advancetrac stability enhancement system's sliding car icon illuminated. I pulled over on a busy interstate and accessed the owner manual. There was no chime or other sound on the vehicle. I read about several potential problems and proceeded the remaining six miles home. When starting the car again, I read the new message, "power steering assist fault, " and the power steering did fault, I had no power steering. I managed to drive home. Once home after dangerously maneuvering there with no power steering through traffic, I read the owner manual again trying to figure out what was happening. I had just had my vehicle serviced at my Ford dealership 3,000 miles before today. They were supposed to top off my fluid levels. Once parked in my garage, I turned my engine back on and now I get the message, "service power steering now." After reviewing this online, I see that numerous 2010 Ford Fusion owners have experienced the same problem putting their lives in jeopardy yet Ford Motor Company has not recalled the vehicles to prevent loss of innocent lives. There is a class action suit currently regarding this matter filed. I will be seeing if I can join.

- Mount Vernon, IL, USA

Jul 182011

Fusion 6-cyl

The transmission would seem like it would go into neutral between 1-2 shifts and also on the highway it would sometimes act the same in gear 6. the transmission was changed once by Ford. Reprogrammed 4-5 times, and multiple parts changed and still poor performance exist. This vehicle was purchased new from the same dealer that has serviced it and I would like to claim this as a lemon in the state of fl while still under the factory power train warranty.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 202014

As I was driving on my way home at about 30 mph my " service power steering/advance trac" warning popped up. Immediately I pulled into a 7 eleven to check it out. I turned my vehicle off and back on and the power steering was completely gone. I also noticed my front passenger tire was flat. I had my vehicle towed to the local Ford who stated the error message said I need to replace my tires. I asked would that fix the issue and was told I need to get that complete before they can troubleshoot more. Currently I have not authorized any work and chose to pick my car up. I'm so disappointed. I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

We were pulling out of a parking lot and a warning chimed to "service advancetrac" and, simultaneously, I lost power steering while trying to turn. We came to a red light so I tried shutting the car off. Upon restart, everything appeared to be working properly. However while driving home the warning came back on, and I continued to lose power steering at random times. Driving around curves was especially frustrating, since I would go into the curve without power steering, and it would sporadically resume function, causing me to run off the road twice. We have not driven the car since then.

- Lodge, SC, USA

Nov 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving down a highway, my low tire pressure light came on and I could tell it was very low due to my ability to steer. I pulled in a gas station and tried to fill the tire with air, but it was blown out on the inside wall and remained flat. I put the spare tire on and when I began to pull away, I realized I had no power steering. Warning lights came on in succession for low tire pressure (still?), service power steering and service advancetrac. I was about 40 miles from home and had to drive in slow lanes as steering was very difficult. I read some message boards regarding an investigation into this issue, but can't find a common solution that has worked. Some say to just turn off and restart, others are saying they spend $1500+. I am worried that I will spend the money and the problem may still exist as it sounds like many have experienced. I have cleaned the battery, disconnected it as some have said also. Still the same for now, will have to take it in.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Nov 222014

Power steering assist warning light came on after starting engine and pulling out of a parking space. Steering wheel very hard to turn, and steering was impossible. Shut off the engine, and restarted. The warning light went off, and power steering assist began working again.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Nov 162014

The service advanced auto traction, service power steering and low tire pressure alarms all came same time and unable to turn steering all of sudden.the pressure on tire was good but still showing low tire pressure.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Oct 202014

Fusion 4-cyl

The car gave no warning and as I pulled out of gas station the power steering went out. I was unable to turn steering wall at all and had I been in traffic I would have been in accident.

- Lena, LA, USA

Aug 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering system went out while driving attempting to make a right turn and it locked up.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 182014

Fusion 4-cyl

We purchased this car in 2011 and it has been fine until today. I brought my son home from school this afternoon and did not notice any issues whatsoever, but a few hours later when we pulled out of the driveway to go to dinner the steering wheel was extremely stiff, we started getting problem notifications on the console and the entire drive was almost impossible to turn like we needed it to. The steering wheel fought against me the whole time - it was stiff and felt like the power steering was out. It sounded like almost scraping coming from the right side of the car. When we got home to check it out we realized that we didn't know how to handle fixing the problem as there was no reservoir that we could find, so we started googling to find similar circumstances and what was done to correct it. Everything we have read says the same thing, and we eventually were led here after reading that there is an investigation into this exact problem. We are extremely worried as this is our family car and don't know what to do at this point.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Nov 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

I started my Fusion was making a turn out of my drive way and the advance trac light came on the dash then in the message center it said service advance trac and service power steering now. I lost all power steering and car started pulling hard to the right. This occurred on Thursday I took my car to the dealer the next Monday. Now costing me $1750 to replace the steering rack.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Nov 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at about 25-30 miles per hour and got a flat tire. I stopped the car and changed the tire, but once I started driving the caution alarm came on and started flashing that the "electric power assisted steering" malfunctioned. It became difficult to steer the car. I almost ran off the road into a drainage canal trying to make a turn.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Nov 142014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 15 mph, the power steering seized, the service traction light illuminated, and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Aug 052014

Electronic power steering assist system failure. Service power steering now, and service advance trac message appeared in message center, and car became nearly impossible to steer. Was in early morning rush hour traffic, very scary situation. As a 195lb male in fairly good physical condition, car had no power steering, and I struggled to steer, narrowly avoiding colliding with another vehicle when I attempted a turn. Was near service center that works on our company trucks, was able to get it there. Technician/shop owner put car on his computer, cleared error codes related to power steering, as his diagnostic computer showed no malfunction in power steering assist system. Steering returned to normal, I left his shop, with no real steering issues....until 10/28/2014. Same exact thing happened again while I was driving the Fusion. Messages appeared, power assist failed, making car difficult to steer. Returned it to same service center, codes again cleared, steering returned to normal. Power steering assist system failed again on 11/12/2014, while I was driving in traffic. My wife, who is barely 5 feet tall, and weighs 125lbs, drives this vehicle often as well, and would definitely not be able to steer the car in the event the power steering failed while she was operating the car. She would probably hurt(if not kill) herself, and possibly others, and this thought horrifies me! it is my understanding that Ford has issued no recall on this part, although I am further aware of thousands of complaints very similar to mine. The fact that Ford has seemingly "dug their heels in" and will not own up to making a defective part, and thus far has shown no willingness to right this wrong, tells me that they have zero regard for human life! Ford is apparently okay with putting owners of their vehicles with this problem at extreme peril! Ford should be held accountable!

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 152014

Fusion 4-cyl

Saturday night I was driving home from the gym with children in my car. The roads are snowy/icy and I was driving between 50-55mph (on straight roads, thankfully) when all of a sudden my light came on to "service power steering now" and the advance track light came on, no warning as soon as those lights came on I lost power steering completely. On icy roads. I thank god I was not in rush hour, omg I can only imagine! thankfully given I've driven for many years with an excellent record, I was able to handle the car and get us to safety. It was extremely hard and so darn dangerous given I was on slippery roads the moment my power steering went out.. again no warning, it all happened immediately!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the power steering failed and I could not turn as a result I hit the person in front of me however no damage was done to their car. I took to the Ford dealership and they said it is an electrical problem and will cost me $1800 to fix however I've seen several complaints and even a class action lawsuit filed and also a recall for the "sedans" have been issued but not for the Ford Fusion. Please help, this is so expensive and I love my car but this is a software system error and I've only had my car for a year.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

May 182014

Several incident over the past two years power steering would default, service advancetrac, power steering default would appear on dash. I would turn car off and turn it back on the power steering would be back on. This happened on multiple occasions. On May 15th I parked my car. Went to church, came out of church, moved my car to a different parking spot, turned car off. When I restarted it the power steering went out and has been ever since. I was quoted at 1800 to get it fixed by dealership.

- Chicago, IL, USA