Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 18 of 27)

Nov 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

When starting the vehicle the 'service power steering now' warning was displayed followed by the 'service advancetrack' warning. Power steering was not functional.

- Jenks, OK, USA

Nov 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was going down the highway, my power steering failed. I was almost unable to turn into a parking lot to get the car off of the road. The messages on the dash read power steering fault and service advance trac. This seems to be a common problem with these type of cars. The replacement part is $1400 plus labor. Something needs to be done to get this recalled.

- Lettsworth, LA, USA

Nov 062014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving, and the service advancetrac and service power steering now light came on. Had it towed to dealership, and they want 1800 to replace rack and pinion. The dealership re-set the computer and now I am driving it until it comes on again, seeing as I don't have 1800 to spend. I have researched this, and it seems several people have had similar difficulties! time for a recall! please!

- Waterford, MI, USA

Nov 072014

The contact owns 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The contact was advised that the front tire pressure was low and air was placed in the tires. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Nov 092014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering and the service stabilitrac warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Kearney, MO, USA

Oct 062014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- St, Louis, MO, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

Shame on you Ford! hard working middle class family purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion for our son to use while he's in college. While driving the car on 1-95 the check engine light came on and also service power steering. The steering wheel locked and the car was impossible to drive luckily it was a week day so we were able to find a Ford dealership. Well they told us it was a evap pump $340, they reset the power steering sensor and thought they fixed it. Few days later the same thing happened again. Another mechanic told us it was uneven tire pressure that set the sensors off the car drove for an hour and the sensors went off again.there should be a recall too many people are having this problem. This is horrible Ford so many family's rely on your cars for the safety of their family! I will never buy Ford again! power steering warning message as the failure occurred again. Took the car to another Ford dealership and now I was told the front axle has to be replaced $2300. Money pit!! this should not be happening to a 2010 car with 48000 miles on it.

- Ny, NY, USA

Nov 042014

Fusion 4-cyl

Getting an error that the power steering has a failure and that advanctrack needs to be serviced. This happened when driving, thankfully I was able to pull over and get the vehicle towed. I have no control of the steering and it locks the steering wheel. Worried about getting in an accident, I don't have the $2000 to fix it. Please investigate this, it's all over the web.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

When turning the steering wheel power steering makes a grinding type noise and the wheel must be turned more excessively than normal to complete the turn.

- Malvern, PA, USA

Oct 312014

I was driving home about 3 miles, what a warning flash in NY dashboard, autotrac service, power steering service soon. Made it home, went back into my car 20 minutes later I had no power steering and message now reads service autotrac, power steering failure. Took it to a dealer, they ran a computer scan reset it twice said it would cost $1600 to fix computer working at the moment could go out any time this problem needs to be fixed. I also had a low tire warning for two days before may be related to the problem. Needs a recall.

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Nov 032014

Shortly after starting the car the power steering service and advance trak service announcements came on dash. We drove for another 10-min and then stopped the car. When we restarted the car, we had no power steering at all. Powering off the car and trying to restart has not restored any power steering capability and the advance trak and power steering service warning display constantly now. The car is undriveable.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 312014

Was driving in vehicle, low tire pressure light came on due to cold weather. Before I had a chance to put air in the tire the service power steering now and advance track service notifications lit up and lost power steering. Before that there were no signs of issues with either the advance track or power steering. Inflated tires to correct psi and still have lost the advance track notification, but power steering still remains.

- Hendersonville , TN, USA

Nov 022014

Was driving to work and suddenly "service power steering" and "service advancetrak" lights came on. Stopped at gas station to inspect car. Got back in car and "service power steering now" light was on after restart. Power steering completely stopped working. Was able to get it back home with a lot of effort. Luckily, I was only a couple of miles from home.

- Clinton, NC, USA

Nov 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove 120+ miles on interstate, parked car for approximately 30 minutes. Restarted and noticed warning light on dash, later determined it was "advancetrac" light. Drove 2 miles at 45 to 50 mph, car pulled extremely hard to the right. Stopped and cut off car to check tires, they were ok but noticed on dash readout was "service advancetrac and service power steering now." Restarted car and had no power steering. Extremely hard to drive but managed to get to Ford dealership; they said that the steering gear needed replacing at a cost of $2,249.27. Was out of town and couldn't leave it over the weekend so they reset fault code and I drove back home; power steering worked and no warning lights or readout on dash.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was in the parking lot of a kroger when I turned my car on. The "power steering assist fault" light came on and I didn't have any power steering. Turned the car off. Waited about 2 min and started the car again. The "power steering assist fault" light came back on and I still didn't have power steering. I pulled out of my parking spot and managed to drive it about 1/2 mile to my house. I parked the car in my garage over night. Went to start it again on Friday October 31st and the "power steering assist fault" came back on again. I still didn't have power steering. It is sitting in my garage now because I will not risk my life or my families life knowing this car has a power steering issue. Can't afford to pay over $1,500 to have this issue fixed.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving with my daughter home from doctors appointment when light came on about advance trac and then power steering needs service. The car was driving fine so I thought I would take care of it in the morning since it was going on 5P.M. we stopped at the dollar store one block from my house and when we started the car the power steering notice appeared again. I put the car in gear and noticed that the wheel would not turn easily. I managed to get the car home to my driveway and investigated this problem online. I'm not prepared to pay $$$ for this repair. Ford needs to issue a recall on this and reimburse everyone who has paid out of pocket for this problem. I am now afraid to drive this car.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Oct 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had just added air to my tires. I started my car and was pulling out of the station, my power steering shut down as I was pulling out. I shut the car off, restarted and the power steering still did not work. I brought it straight to mossy Ford in missionbay, san diego, California. They told me there was no recall and it would cost $1700 to fix.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 122014

I was backing out of my drive and the power steering assist fault light went on and I had no power steering. On October 14,2014 I again was baking out of the drive when the power steering assist fault light went on again. The light remained on and I took the vehicle to my Ford dealer said the steering epas rack and the ce gear assembly needed to be replaced. Luckily this failure happened in my drive and not on the highway.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

Pulled in the driveway at which time vehicle lost steering and gave a fault of "power steering assist fault". the had no power steering and rack and pinion had to be replaced. Very unsafe!

- Conway, AR, USA

Oct 262014

Check engine light first came on 2 weeks ago and car started pulling hard to the right side, while shaking bad! today as I was driving to dealer doing 50mph my service power steering now and advance trac message came on. Lost complete steering while on highway with babies in car! dealer will not even look at it without getting paid first. I guess they are waiting for us to get hurt in their vehicle before admitting to their fault!

- Elgin, TX, USA