2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 18 of 29)

Sep 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was traveling at about 50 mph on side street and the power steering assist light came on and lost all power steering. I am a big man and was not to far from home and was able to muscle it to the driveway. It has sat there since. My wife is slight in stature and if this had happened to her I have no doubt she could not steer the car.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jan 032015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Commerce , GA, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to a friends house, the power steering just went out. The vehicle was almost impossible to steer though it was able to be driven off the side of the road. Had it taken to the nearest Ford dealership and they stated that it was a power steering failure that would cost 2000 to repair.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Dec 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

When driving home with my baby I noticed I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel to move over in the other lane. I had to stop my car in the middle of the street and have someone come to help me get my car to the side of the road. There was not any warning of anything being wrong with my car. The power steering went out in the car. I called the Ford dealership and spoke to the head of the service dept and he confirmed the cost would be about $1600 to repair but couldn't be for sure until I get a diagnostic check done for $89.99. He was aware of the issue and stated his own daughter in law had the same problem that is how he is pretty sure what the issue is and the cost to repair. I asked about a recall and he had not heard of anything as of now. I'm a single mom and can't afford this repair. I feel like Ford should pay for the faulty part with especially with the number of complaints. If I hadn't had control at the time the situation could have been a lot worse. I'm praying that Ford will take responsibility and fix my car as I'm currently without transportation.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Dec 272014

Fusion

While driving 30mph the advancetrac system flashed on the that dash board. As a result I lost all power steering control and almost ran head on to an, on coming vehicle as I was making a right hand turn. Took the vehicle to dealer to get repaired ($1249.40). This all occurred on 12/15/2012. The second incident happened on 12/27/ 2014. As my family was traveling 70mph down I44 near joplin, Missouri. The advancetrac system flashed on the dash board and once again I lost all power steering control. In doing so the vehicle took a hard right almost putting my vehicle underneath a tractor tailor. I was able to get the vehicle under control and limped the vehicle back to my home. The fault in this vehicle almost killed me and my family, this is a on going problem with this vehicle around the nation. How many fatalities is it going to take before the NHTSA forces the Ford Motor Company to recall the vehicle's and fix the problem. Thank you for your work, in getting this problem resolved.

- Independence, KS, USA

Dec 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering went out where I wasn't able to steer the car. I had to pull over and not drive it or I could have had a reck.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving through parking lot and turning into a spot power steering suddenly went out and service auto trak light came on. Power steering was immediately lost and I almost struck a car. I was able to get stopped and maneuver the vehicle out of harms way. Checked for power steering pump failure and found that it was electrical power assist. This sudden loss of power steering could have caused fatality had I been on the highway or on a busy street. This problem requires further investigation.

- St Marys, GA, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion

While driving, a traction light came on, some warning beeping and it said service power steering and auto trac. Steering wheel got really hard to turn and had to drive it in to mechanic.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Dec 172014

Fusion

I had a problem with my power steering wheel wit a Ford Fusion 2010 I investigate end found that 2009 to 2011 have a power steering wheel problems that cost 1600 to fix it there's 1000600 complains about this and Ford needs to change all the power steering wheels end there's being a lot of accidents when people are driving on the freeway when the power steering brake down they should make Ford fix this problem like they made Chrysler I don't know know how much people are going to die until you guys fix this.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Dec 022014

Fusion

My car started saying power steering warning message, and the wheel very hard to turn, I went to the dealer ship, where I purchase, he told me he couldn't do nothing, I just purchase my Fusion 2010 Ford four months ago.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

This is 3rd incident. Daughter driving vehicle on interstate approx 75mph. After 1 hr of driving, steering got stiff, advance trac light sensor appeared and "service power steering". she slowed down and was able to exit the interstate safely and park the vehicle at a gas station. After turning off the vehicle and turning back on, power steering was completely out. "service power steering now." My husband went to pick up the vehicle and see if it needed to be towed back to dealer. Once the car sat for about an hour, my husband turned on the vehicle and steering was operational. He was able to drive the vehicle back to the dealer (an hour drive on interstate going 50mph). He noted that the steering would come and go - didn't matter what speed he was going- it was sporadic. Dealer recommends new power steering even though the power steering was replaced 2 years ago. They weren't sure if this would or would not happen again. Seems to be a Ford defective part (software issue or sensors) that hasn't been recalled yet so by replacing the module again may only be a band aid till a recall is made and a "fix" is made to this part. "advance trac sensor, ?torque sensor, etc.. seems like once the advance trac sensor is tripped, it's a domino effect and power steering sensor is somehow disabled. Ford already recalled other models with this epas for different defective sensors - not sure why the Ford Fusion haven't been recalled yet. Maybe they don't know the exact cause of the power steering failure"

- York, SC, USA

Dec 092014

Fusion 6-cyl

The power steering had started to whine on Monday morning December 8th. The problem ceased to repeat until this morning Wednesday December 10th, the problem came back much worse. The steering wheel feels to lose electronic assistance - at lower speeds it is more noticeable. This has the likeliness to cause a safety issue when on the road and electronic steering malfunctions or does not assist properly.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Nov 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering light came on and said to service "now", no warning... steering next to impossible! took it to dealer as are independent garage didn't have access to Ford only special codes (apparently and another Ford customer rip-off). Had to then drive it (near impossible and late at night as to not cause an accident) since we can't afford to tow it to manderbach Ford, in reading, pa, was told the work was going to cost $1,700 dollars and when we were told it was fixed, we picked it up that same night and on our way & 1 min into the drive, not even, the light came back on saying to service now and it was as if they did nothing to the car to fix it including the alignment they claim it needed and clearly didn't do!!! so we took it right back and were told they'd be looking/working on it today. What a giant waste of time and $$ so far.. adios Ford! I plan to recoup every last penny for this unnecessary inconvenience to me and my family!!!!!!!

- Reading, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Got in my car to make my drive home and service power steering now light and advance trac lights came on. Stopped at a gas station and upon returning to my car I had no power steering and was forced to drive the 35 mile trip home. Called the Ford dealer because I am aware that there are recalls on the power steering for these Fusion but was advised that my Fusion is not included in said recall. I bought this car to have a safe reliable vehicle for myself and family and am quickly regretting it! I do not have the $2000+ dollars that the dealer has quoted me to diagnose and fix this! and I should not have to! Ford made this mistake and they need to make it right!

- Attica, OH, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

The advancetrac stability enhancement system's sliding car icon illuminated. I pulled over on a busy interstate and accessed the owner manual. There was no chime or other sound on the vehicle. I read about several potential problems and proceeded the remaining six miles home. When starting the car again, I read the new message, "power steering assist fault, " and the power steering did fault, I had no power steering. I managed to drive home. Once home after dangerously maneuvering there with no power steering through traffic, I read the owner manual again trying to figure out what was happening. I had just had my vehicle serviced at my Ford dealership 3,000 miles before today. They were supposed to top off my fluid levels. Once parked in my garage, I turned my engine back on and now I get the message, "service power steering now." After reviewing this online, I see that numerous 2010 Ford Fusion owners have experienced the same problem putting their lives in jeopardy yet Ford Motor Company has not recalled the vehicles to prevent loss of innocent lives. There is a class action suit currently regarding this matter filed. I will be seeing if I can join.

- Mount Vernon, IL, USA

Jul 182011

Fusion 6-cyl

The transmission would seem like it would go into neutral between 1-2 shifts and also on the highway it would sometimes act the same in gear 6. the transmission was changed once by Ford. Reprogrammed 4-5 times, and multiple parts changed and still poor performance exist. This vehicle was purchased new from the same dealer that has serviced it and I would like to claim this as a lemon in the state of fl while still under the factory power train warranty.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 202014

Fusion

As I was driving on my way home at about 30 mph my " service power steering/advance trac" warning popped up. Immediately I pulled into a 7 eleven to check it out. I turned my vehicle off and back on and the power steering was completely gone. I also noticed my front passenger tire was flat. I had my vehicle towed to the local Ford who stated the error message said I need to replace my tires. I asked would that fix the issue and was told I need to get that complete before they can troubleshoot more. Currently I have not authorized any work and chose to pick my car up. I'm so disappointed. I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

We were pulling out of a parking lot and a warning chimed to "service advancetrac" and, simultaneously, I lost power steering while trying to turn. We came to a red light so I tried shutting the car off. Upon restart, everything appeared to be working properly. However while driving home the warning came back on, and I continued to lose power steering at random times. Driving around curves was especially frustrating, since I would go into the curve without power steering, and it would sporadically resume function, causing me to run off the road twice. We have not driven the car since then.

- Lodge, SC, USA

Nov 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving down a highway, my low tire pressure light came on and I could tell it was very low due to my ability to steer. I pulled in a gas station and tried to fill the tire with air, but it was blown out on the inside wall and remained flat. I put the spare tire on and when I began to pull away, I realized I had no power steering. Warning lights came on in succession for low tire pressure (still?), service power steering and service advancetrac. I was about 40 miles from home and had to drive in slow lanes as steering was very difficult. I read some message boards regarding an investigation into this issue, but can't find a common solution that has worked. Some say to just turn off and restart, others are saying they spend $1500+. I am worried that I will spend the money and the problem may still exist as it sounds like many have experienced. I have cleaned the battery, disconnected it as some have said also. Still the same for now, will have to take it in.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Nov 222014

Fusion

Power steering assist warning light came on after starting engine and pulling out of a parking space. Steering wheel very hard to turn, and steering was impossible. Shut off the engine, and restarted. The warning light went off, and power steering assist began working again.

- Studio City, CA, USA