Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 19 of 27)

Oct 252014

I was traveling down the interstate in the left lane when the car began to alarm and a warning message appeared that stated there was a power steering assist failure and for the vehicle to be serviced. The steering immediately became stiff and it was very difficult to steer the vehicle across three lanes and onto the shoulder. This is a safety hazard. I had two small children in the vehicle and do not feel safe driving this vehicle. After turning the vehicle off and restarting the power steering returns. This was the fourth incident, the first two incidences were while backing out of parking spots, third incident was while traveling down a two lane road at 35 mph. Last incident was the scariest due to the rate of speed at which I was traveling. Dealership says there are no trouble codes and they cannot service a vehicle without a code.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the electronic power assist steering needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

May 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had my daughter and 4 month old grandson with me. We drove 7 miles to town to go to grocery store with no car troubles. Parked and went into store upon returning and starting my vehicle it started dinging at me and I didn't know why until I tried to pull out and had no power steering. At this point I noticed I had 2 messages "service advanctrac" and "power steering assist fault". I looked under the hood for my power steering fluid only to discover that I had none and that the car had electronic power steering. I shut the car off and restarted both messages went away and car ran fine. In July it happened again and this time I was out of state, 5 hrs from home, on the freeway heading home when I had to pull off and shut the car down and restart it then I made it home. In September it happened again and this time my daughter had my car coming home from the grocery store in town with her 8 month old son coming up a hill out of town limits. She shut it down and restarted then made home. Now its October and on Sunday the 26th I drove to town for church with my foster son and the car ran fine. When I left church I started the car and both messages appeared again but shutting off the car would not fix it. I had to drive home with no power steering. My husband disconnected the battery for 1/2 hr and that didn't fix it either. I have been researching and found that this is a problem in the 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and its a costly problem that I cant pay for so now my car has to sit and I have no means of transportation, especially since I live in the country with no public transportation. Please help!!

- Big Springs, WV, USA

Aug 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering and advance trac went out of vehicle while traveling at approx 50mph almost resulting in severe accident (running off road into ravine on a curve).

- Columbus , MS, USA

Sep 272014

I was trying to come home from a weekend trip with my friends. I turned the Fusion on and the power steering and advancetrac were not working. Managed to reset the battery and get home with power steering. Went to Ford and they charged me over $2000 to fix it after it stopped working about 2 weeks after the initial incident.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was merging into traffic and suddenly lost power steering, had to manually steer car into safe are. After shutting off and re starting the car several times it finally started working and I was able to continue home. This has happened several times since then and I was told rack and pinion needs to be replaced at around 1500$.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Aug 292014

Fusion 6-cyl

Backing out of my garage, I got just outside the door and went to turn wheel and found that it was locked up, very hard to turn. A warning message came on about steering fault. Owners manual told me to shut car off and turn on again to fix the problem. I immediately took it to dealership where I was told I had to leave it for 3 days and had an $1800 repair to replace the rack & pinion. I now find this is a common problem in these cars upon searching internet. Car is not old enough to warrant such a costly repair and I'm very glad I wasn't on freeway, trying to change lanes. I contacted Ford and was basically told "too bad".

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 302014

After a advancetrac steering service warning, the power steering failed coupled with a warning to service power steering. The first incident was on or about June 30th. The Ford dealer replaced the rack and pinion steering system. Subsequently on October 11, 2014 again while driving at low speed, the advancetrac steering system service warning message appeared followed by a loss of power steering and a service power steering warning. The dealer is now indicating that the advancetrac and/or tire pressure sensors may be the cause of the issue. The car is still in the repair shop.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 072013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the power steering seized as the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Port Hueneme , CA, USA

Oct 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving down the road, a message appeared that said to service power steering and advancetrac. I managed to make it home, turned off the car, restarted it, the error message read service power steering now/service advancetrac now. We were traveling about 40mph when the message first appeared and I lost power steering.

- Crown Point, NY, USA

Nov 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

When traveling home from work on November 4th, 2013. Vehicle's advancetrac system failed.this made it difficult to turn car as it made the steering wheel very stiff. This caused an accident when entering a parking lot. I took the vehicle to the dealership and was notified that the vehicle just became "out of warranty" at 75,000 miles. The estimated cost of repair was $1762 having the vehicle without its power steering has also affected my tires. Which needed to be constantly replaced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Fusion 6-cyl

I bought this car new. In 2010 I lost power steering, at low speed, several times. I took it to the dealer and they did not fix the car as they couldn't find an issue. On the forth occasion I lost power steering and they decided to replace the power steering rack, which was done under warranty. On 10/11/2014 I again lost power steering, at low speed, and now the power steering rack has to be replaced yet again. The mileage at the time of this failure was approximately 78,380 miles. I understand an investigation has been opened by NHTSA regarding this matter and I would like my information/experiences added. This time it is costing me over $1,800.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving from an social event with my young children, they warning system in my Fusion indicated that power steering system required service. As I was attempting to pull into the gas station, the power steering on my vehicle went out. The car became inoperable requiring a significant amount of strength to turn the vehicle. I looked under the hood to check for any visible signs of damage, only to realize they power steering is electric. I waited a few minutes and restarted the car, the light went out and I started my car to drive home. However maybe a few miles from my house, the steering went out again and the car was not able to be easily steered. The warning light now stated that power steering system required service now as well as secondary warning discussing the service of the advancetrac system requiring service too. When I went to Ford they explained that there was an internal rack failure with parts that costs $1500 because if one part fails then the entire system fails. This is ridiculous and extremely dangerous to happen unexpectedly while driving with my children in the car.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Oct 022014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph, the service power steering soon and service advance traction now warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The contact merged to the side of the road and shut the vehicle off. The contact restarted the vehicle and attempted to continue to drive but the steering wheel had continuously required excessive force. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic for a diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- South Gate , MI, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

The electric power assisted steering (epas) suddenly fail while driving, resulting in increased steering effort and at times it's will turn way to easy.

- Holt, MI, USA

Aug 142014

Started vehicle, steering assist light came on indicating power steering failure. Tried to turn steering wheel, extremely difficult. Had vehicle towed to Ford dealership, cost of repair $ $1706.74.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Jul 072014

When my tire pressure gets low -not accompanied by the low tire pressure light- the advanctrac light as well as service power steering light come on the command center. I am able to drive it safely, but the next time that I turn my car on after that, the power steering has always been out.

- Salt Lake City, MI, USA

Sep 022014

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife and I were driving on a surface street, and the power steering and trac warning light came on. The steering immediately was extremely difficult, and required great effort to get the two miles home. I then had the car towed to the Ford dealership. They also observed the warning lights and the extreme steering effort required. The car still had the problem even after being shut off and on three times. Once the dealership cleared the computer generated warning light, the problem was not able to be duplicated. I requested that they call Ford motor to discuss problem, and potential solution. Hotline assistance request #107811552 and ro# 376828 dated 9/4/14. Ford came back with recommendations on 9/5/14. The dealer kept my vehicle for 7 days, trying to get the problem to re-occur. Finally they gave me a front end alignment and sent me home.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Oct 032014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph and making a turn, there was a loss of power steering without warning. The steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was driven to the residence cautiously. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacture was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 202014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had a message pop up that said "advancetrac power steering needs service soon" the night before without any issues but with the thought "I guess I need to call Ford to get a service appointment. The following day I hopped in my car and to my surprise, the message now read "advancetrac power steering needs serviced now" (it was a Saturday afternoon). The car was now undriveable. I am now still waiting for my car to be serviced because the cost to replace the rack and pinion (electronic power steering) will cost over $1800. Ford will not cover it and I have complained to them several times and all they can tell me is that my warranty expired. Should that had gone out on me Friday night on my way home with my kids in the car, we would've been in big trouble. Major safety issue and cannot understand why a company would not stand behind their product.

- Gardners, PA, USA