2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 19 of 30)

Jul 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving on a side street at 35 mph and hit a large pothole on the passenger front tire. I pulled over and called aaa to change my tire. Aaa came and changed my tire, and then when I turned my car back on it said power steering failure. I asked the aaa worker if anything was wrong and he checked everything out and couldn't provide a reason for why the power steering would have failed. The steering was extremely difficult to maneuver and required all of my strength to drive the 1 mile left to my home. I drove the car to the Ford dealer the next day and the steering was still very difficult. Ford did not provide me with an explanation for why the power steering failed. I paid $1,923.79 to replace the electronic steering gear and perform programmable module installation (code P07ae in pscm).

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 132015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 40 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and the vehicle was turned off. The vehicle was restarted. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not repaired or diagnosed. The dealer advised the contact to pull over to the side of the road and turn off and restart the vehicle the next time the failure occurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.....updated 06/09/15 on February 15, 2015 it was discovered the battery was completely dead. The battery was last replaced in August 2012 and was still under warranty. After replacing the battery, the service advance trac error no longer appeared, but short, periodic problems with a loss of power steering upon start-up were occurring but would resolve after a few moments. Upon start-up of the vehicle on April 27, 2015 a power steering failure warning appeared along when the steering seized up and then resolved. Upon star-up of the vehicle on April 28,2015, the power steering assist fault error appeared again with a blinking red light and beeping. The vehicle was turned off and then back on. The steering issues are not currently evident, but the vehicle has only been driven about 15 miles since the last occurrence of the issue. Updated 07/07/15

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 072015

Fusion

The contact owns 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the advance track and power steering light illuminated. The power steering seized. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the tires needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000. The VIN was not available.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 302015

Fusion 6-cyl

On 1-30-15 while driving through my neighborhood I received a message on the display screen it read service advancetrac and power steering assist fault, I then lost all power steering in the car. So when I got home I looked up the display messages to see that they were about. I saw that its a power steering issue and need to go to the dealer. So on 2-4-15 I took my car to the local Ford dealer to see what was the exact issue on the car. I was told the steering gear was bad and needed to be replaced. Parts and labor will be $1,600. Once I came home from the dealer and started to look up more about this issue and saw that is a huge issue with Ford and they haven't made any recalls or attempts to try and correct this issue with these cars. They are only correcting the issues with car that haven't been built yet. I drive a 2010 Ford Fusion.

- Mims, FL, USA

Jan 262015

Fusion

1. the power steering went bad in Dec. 2014/ cost $1600 to fix. Done at crossroads Ford in kearney ne. 2. less than 1 month later in Jan. 2015, the transmission started leaking fluid and had other issues with shifting. Looks like now I'll have to put in a new transmission. 2010 Ford Fusion SE with 109,000 miles.

- Valentine, NE, USA

Jan 262015

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion which suffered a loss power steering. The vehicle had an error message that came on the dashboard, displaying "service advance trac" and "service power steering now". power steering light after the low tire light appeared this occurrence also appears to be similar to what others have experienced. This is a safety issue that can cause loss of control while driving and turning.

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

Dec 262014

Fusion

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion while on vacation. I was driving my family to breakfast and I noticed that an error message that came on the dashboard, displaying "service advance trac" and "service power steering now". while these messages came on, my power steering became difficult to steer while I was driving on the roadway. I was luckily able to manage steering off of the highway, turning in to our destination. Knowing the difficulty that I had in trying to steer to safety, it scares me to think that my wife could have been driving this vehicle and may not have fared as well as I am much stronger than she. While out of state, it was very pressing that I get the power steering repaired for the safety of my family. I had to manage steering to the nearest Ford dealer, for which I was unfamiliar with. I had to spend $1,500+ for the repair, along with the cost and need for a rental vehicle. After the dealership replaced the steering gear, my steering failed again. After returning the car to the same dealership, their suggestion was that "if this fails again, you should take the vehicle to your home dealership for repair." I had to drive home, over 600 miles without power steering as I had no other options. When the failure occured, my Fusion had only a couple hundred miles over 75,000 miles. I can safely say that this steering failure caused a lot of undue stress over this vacation, along with a substantial level of danger. It is also very troubling to know that the same manufacturer that produced the steering in my vehicle, has also produced the steering that has failed in other Ford vehicles, such as the newer Ford Explorer (2011 year+, I think).

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Jan 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bufflao, NY, USA

Jan 272015

Fusion

Started the car in the morning and noticed the advancetrac notification on and soon as I turned the wheel it was extremely hard and took all my strength. When I went to pull forward I nearly jumped the curb because I wasn't able to turn the wheel fast enough. I can no longer work as my requires me to drive all day. And don't have the funds $1400-2000 estimated cost of fix. I've seen numerous videos and complaints of the same problem. This needs to be addressed before it becomes fatal.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 112015

Fusion

My son was running errands. He went inside a store & when he got back in the car the service power steering now light was illuminated as well as advance trac. He called home & said he tried to back up but could not get the steering wheel to turn. We left the car parked & had it towed to a Ford dealer on Monday a.M. I went on the internet to see if I could find out what kind of repair might be needed & how much it would be. I was shocked to find out that there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for the exact steering failure my Ford Fusion had experienced. I am thankful my son was not driving at the time the steering failed. However, I am very concerned at this time because I own a 2nd 2010 Ford Fusion which my other son drives. I bought both my sons a Ford Fusion AWD because I wanted them to have a safe vehicle. Ford should be ashamed for not informing owners of this potential power steering failure. They should be made to replace the faulty steering before a serious or even fatal accident happens as a result of their negligence. I had to pay $1750 dollars to have the power steering replaced & the advance trac fixed. The Ford dealer knew of the problem with the Fusion but said Ford would not pay for the repair. I have always done the required preventative maintenance on my cars & keep them in perfect condition. I had to put the full amount on a charge card, which now I will pay interest on. I don't have the financial ability to pay for or even "charge" another $1750 to replace the power steering on my other 2010 Ford Fusion. I am scared to death something will happen while my other son continues to drive what seems to be a "steering failure ticking time bomb" as he needs a car to get to work daily. Ford needs to fix this...quickly!

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion when the power steering just gave out on the entrance the highway. There is no explained problem with Ford on why this is happening, but from what I understand this is an on going safety investigation with NHTSA. Ford should address this safety issue before someone gets badly hurt.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jan 222015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed completely without warning. Vehicle was nearly impossible to steer. Without my upper body strength their would have undoubtedly been a crash. Even with my upper body strength, which is considerable, an accident was narrowly avoided.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion

While driving the vehicle the power steering went out during a turn with no warning what so ever. A light came on and the steering has been effected ever since making it nearly impossible to turn the vehicle safely.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 132015

Fusion 4-cyl

Just made it home from work and picking up my son from school. I put the car in reverse, began backing out the driveway, when the warning light came on and power steering went out simultaneously. 2010 Fusion under $50K miles. My car is at the dealership now.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 102015

Fusion 6-cyl

Our 16 year old daughter was driving in town on Saturday on our icy roads when suddenly the power steering failed. As a relatively new driver she had no idea what happened but was able to maintain control of the car and get it parked. From the description of the sensors it appears to be a electric power assisted steering (epas) failure. In looking through the internet this appears to be a relatively common problem on the Ford Fusion of this era.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Sep 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was traveling at about 50 mph on side street and the power steering assist light came on and lost all power steering. I am a big man and was not to far from home and was able to muscle it to the driveway. It has sat there since. My wife is slight in stature and if this had happened to her I have no doubt she could not steer the car.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jan 032015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Commerce , GA, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to a friends house, the power steering just went out. The vehicle was almost impossible to steer though it was able to be driven off the side of the road. Had it taken to the nearest Ford dealership and they stated that it was a power steering failure that would cost 2000 to repair.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Dec 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

When driving home with my baby I noticed I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel to move over in the other lane. I had to stop my car in the middle of the street and have someone come to help me get my car to the side of the road. There was not any warning of anything being wrong with my car. The power steering went out in the car. I called the Ford dealership and spoke to the head of the service dept and he confirmed the cost would be about $1600 to repair but couldn't be for sure until I get a diagnostic check done for $89.99. He was aware of the issue and stated his own daughter in law had the same problem that is how he is pretty sure what the issue is and the cost to repair. I asked about a recall and he had not heard of anything as of now. I'm a single mom and can't afford this repair. I feel like Ford should pay for the faulty part with especially with the number of complaints. If I hadn't had control at the time the situation could have been a lot worse. I'm praying that Ford will take responsibility and fix my car as I'm currently without transportation.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Dec 272014

Fusion

While driving 30mph the advancetrac system flashed on the that dash board. As a result I lost all power steering control and almost ran head on to an, on coming vehicle as I was making a right hand turn. Took the vehicle to dealer to get repaired ($1249.40). This all occurred on 12/15/2012. The second incident happened on 12/27/ 2014. As my family was traveling 70mph down I44 near joplin, Missouri. The advancetrac system flashed on the dash board and once again I lost all power steering control. In doing so the vehicle took a hard right almost putting my vehicle underneath a tractor tailor. I was able to get the vehicle under control and limped the vehicle back to my home. The fault in this vehicle almost killed me and my family, this is a on going problem with this vehicle around the nation. How many fatalities is it going to take before the NHTSA forces the Ford Motor Company to recall the vehicle's and fix the problem. Thank you for your work, in getting this problem resolved.

- Independence, KS, USA