2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 20 of 29)

Oct 312014

Fusion

I was driving home about 3 miles, what a warning flash in NY dashboard, autotrac service, power steering service soon. Made it home, went back into my car 20 minutes later I had no power steering and message now reads service autotrac, power steering failure. Took it to a dealer, they ran a computer scan reset it twice said it would cost $1600 to fix computer working at the moment could go out any time this problem needs to be fixed. I also had a low tire warning for two days before may be related to the problem. Needs a recall.

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Nov 032014

Fusion

Shortly after starting the car the power steering service and advance trak service announcements came on dash. We drove for another 10-min and then stopped the car. When we restarted the car, we had no power steering at all. Powering off the car and trying to restart has not restored any power steering capability and the advance trak and power steering service warning display constantly now. The car is undriveable.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 312014

Fusion

Was driving in vehicle, low tire pressure light came on due to cold weather. Before I had a chance to put air in the tire the service power steering now and advance track service notifications lit up and lost power steering. Before that there were no signs of issues with either the advance track or power steering. Inflated tires to correct psi and still have lost the advance track notification, but power steering still remains.

- Hendersonville , TN, USA

Nov 022014

Fusion

Was driving to work and suddenly "service power steering" and "service advancetrak" lights came on. Stopped at gas station to inspect car. Got back in car and "service power steering now" light was on after restart. Power steering completely stopped working. Was able to get it back home with a lot of effort. Luckily, I was only a couple of miles from home.

- Clinton, NC, USA

Nov 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove 120+ miles on interstate, parked car for approximately 30 minutes. Restarted and noticed warning light on dash, later determined it was "advancetrac" light. Drove 2 miles at 45 to 50 mph, car pulled extremely hard to the right. Stopped and cut off car to check tires, they were ok but noticed on dash readout was "service advancetrac and service power steering now." Restarted car and had no power steering. Extremely hard to drive but managed to get to Ford dealership; they said that the steering gear needed replacing at a cost of $2,249.27. Was out of town and couldn't leave it over the weekend so they reset fault code and I drove back home; power steering worked and no warning lights or readout on dash.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was in the parking lot of a kroger when I turned my car on. The "power steering assist fault" light came on and I didn't have any power steering. Turned the car off. Waited about 2 min and started the car again. The "power steering assist fault" light came back on and I still didn't have power steering. I pulled out of my parking spot and managed to drive it about 1/2 mile to my house. I parked the car in my garage over night. Went to start it again on Friday October 31st and the "power steering assist fault" came back on again. I still didn't have power steering. It is sitting in my garage now because I will not risk my life or my families life knowing this car has a power steering issue. Can't afford to pay over $1,500 to have this issue fixed.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving with my daughter home from doctors appointment when light came on about advance trac and then power steering needs service. The car was driving fine so I thought I would take care of it in the morning since it was going on 5P.M. we stopped at the dollar store one block from my house and when we started the car the power steering notice appeared again. I put the car in gear and noticed that the wheel would not turn easily. I managed to get the car home to my driveway and investigated this problem online. I'm not prepared to pay $$$ for this repair. Ford needs to issue a recall on this and reimburse everyone who has paid out of pocket for this problem. I am now afraid to drive this car.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Oct 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had just added air to my tires. I started my car and was pulling out of the station, my power steering shut down as I was pulling out. I shut the car off, restarted and the power steering still did not work. I brought it straight to mossy Ford in missionbay, san diego, California. They told me there was no recall and it would cost $1700 to fix.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 122014

Fusion

I was backing out of my drive and the power steering assist fault light went on and I had no power steering. On October 14,2014 I again was baking out of the drive when the power steering assist fault light went on again. The light remained on and I took the vehicle to my Ford dealer said the steering epas rack and the ce gear assembly needed to be replaced. Luckily this failure happened in my drive and not on the highway.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

Pulled in the driveway at which time vehicle lost steering and gave a fault of "power steering assist fault". the had no power steering and rack and pinion had to be replaced. Very unsafe!

- Conway, AR, USA

Oct 262014

Fusion

Check engine light first came on 2 weeks ago and car started pulling hard to the right side, while shaking bad! today as I was driving to dealer doing 50mph my service power steering now and advance trac message came on. Lost complete steering while on highway with babies in car! dealer will not even look at it without getting paid first. I guess they are waiting for us to get hurt in their vehicle before admitting to their fault!

- Elgin, TX, USA

Oct 252014

Fusion

I was traveling down the interstate in the left lane when the car began to alarm and a warning message appeared that stated there was a power steering assist failure and for the vehicle to be serviced. The steering immediately became stiff and it was very difficult to steer the vehicle across three lanes and onto the shoulder. This is a safety hazard. I had two small children in the vehicle and do not feel safe driving this vehicle. After turning the vehicle off and restarting the power steering returns. This was the fourth incident, the first two incidences were while backing out of parking spots, third incident was while traveling down a two lane road at 35 mph. Last incident was the scariest due to the rate of speed at which I was traveling. Dealership says there are no trouble codes and they cannot service a vehicle without a code.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the electronic power assist steering needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

May 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had my daughter and 4 month old grandson with me. We drove 7 miles to town to go to grocery store with no car troubles. Parked and went into store upon returning and starting my vehicle it started dinging at me and I didn't know why until I tried to pull out and had no power steering. At this point I noticed I had 2 messages "service advanctrac" and "power steering assist fault". I looked under the hood for my power steering fluid only to discover that I had none and that the car had electronic power steering. I shut the car off and restarted both messages went away and car ran fine. In July it happened again and this time I was out of state, 5 hrs from home, on the freeway heading home when I had to pull off and shut the car down and restart it then I made it home. In September it happened again and this time my daughter had my car coming home from the grocery store in town with her 8 month old son coming up a hill out of town limits. She shut it down and restarted then made home. Now its October and on Sunday the 26th I drove to town for church with my foster son and the car ran fine. When I left church I started the car and both messages appeared again but shutting off the car would not fix it. I had to drive home with no power steering. My husband disconnected the battery for 1/2 hr and that didn't fix it either. I have been researching and found that this is a problem in the 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and its a costly problem that I cant pay for so now my car has to sit and I have no means of transportation, especially since I live in the country with no public transportation. Please help!!

- Big Springs, WV, USA

Aug 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering and advance trac went out of vehicle while traveling at approx 50mph almost resulting in severe accident (running off road into ravine on a curve).

- Columbus , MS, USA

Sep 272014

Fusion

I was trying to come home from a weekend trip with my friends. I turned the Fusion on and the power steering and advancetrac were not working. Managed to reset the battery and get home with power steering. Went to Ford and they charged me over $2000 to fix it after it stopped working about 2 weeks after the initial incident.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was merging into traffic and suddenly lost power steering, had to manually steer car into safe are. After shutting off and re starting the car several times it finally started working and I was able to continue home. This has happened several times since then and I was told rack and pinion needs to be replaced at around 1500$.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Aug 292014

Fusion 6-cyl

Backing out of my garage, I got just outside the door and went to turn wheel and found that it was locked up, very hard to turn. A warning message came on about steering fault. Owners manual told me to shut car off and turn on again to fix the problem. I immediately took it to dealership where I was told I had to leave it for 3 days and had an $1800 repair to replace the rack & pinion. I now find this is a common problem in these cars upon searching internet. Car is not old enough to warrant such a costly repair and I'm very glad I wasn't on freeway, trying to change lanes. I contacted Ford and was basically told "too bad".

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 302014

Fusion

After a advancetrac steering service warning, the power steering failed coupled with a warning to service power steering. The first incident was on or about June 30th. The Ford dealer replaced the rack and pinion steering system. Subsequently on October 11, 2014 again while driving at low speed, the advancetrac steering system service warning message appeared followed by a loss of power steering and a service power steering warning. The dealer is now indicating that the advancetrac and/or tire pressure sensors may be the cause of the issue. The car is still in the repair shop.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 072013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the power steering seized as the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Port Hueneme , CA, USA